• Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    Love does some things well.

He has a big arm, but he doesn't throw a ton of rocket balls, which is a good thing. Knows to put air under passes, to allow his receivers to adjust. The downside is that he doesn't seem to know when to throw hard, and when to put more air under the pass. Has a lot of throws on stop routes where the WR is wide open, and the ball just drifts in. Then he throws a lot of seam routes where a higher trajectory would be OK, and he throws lasers. His soft throws seem to set up his receivers to get hit, and lets DB who are burned get back into the action at times.

Not very accurate. He completes a lot of short passes where the receiver gets spun around and then has no chance for YAC. Could only find a couple of passes where he seemed to throw his receiver open, and all of those are outs. Throws the ball in traffic and just seems to hope for the best. His release point seems to change a lot. Has a 3/4 arm motion sometimes, then a nice full overhead at other times. Really inaccurate on short throws. When he does complete them, will spin the receiver around, or make him adjust and leaves a lot of yards on the field. Struggles vs zone defenses that take away the downfield throws and make him throw into soft spots.

I am not sure he really makes very good reads. I think he makes a lot of his decision pre-snap and then just tries to make the best of it. A lot of his zone reads where he keeps it, he ends up going against 2 and 3 defenders. An awful lot of his outside throws are him putting up an outside or seam pass vs tight coverage and a lot of double coverage and the WR makes the play anyway, but there are some easier throws out there. Good runner with speed, vision, quickness and some power. Would be a really good zone read/RPO type of guy if he made better reads.

Has a long, slow release, which gives defenders a chance to break on his passes. Wind up motion, that leaves the ball away from his body. Very easy to strip and will be vulnerable to strip sacks when playing in the pocket.

Throws to a lot of very open receivers who are quicker and faster than the DB they are playing against. Doesn't face much of a rush, and doesn't handle blitzing and stronger pass rush.

He is an interesting prospect if you were going to take your time with him, teach him footwork, and work on his throwing motion. The big thing is I am not sure how much guys who make bad reads can be coached out of it. Some of it is he gets away with a lot of throws in college, where he just throws long, lets the WR run under it, and the fact that he made the wrong read, and maybe didn't throw a great pass he will get away with. But vs an NFL D that is waiting for those throws, and sits back behind a 4 man rush waiting for bad throws, you have to wonder if he can overcome that. I am just not sure guys who don't read defenses well can be coached out of it. Players who don't make reads can be taught to read defenses, but players who simply ignore their reads and make bad decisions seem to continue to make bad decisions their entire careers.

He might be a decent middle round developmental pick, but he is probably going to go high-ish. I don't think he is for us.

If we could afford to sit him for a year or two behind an established vet, and work on his throwing motion and short range accuracy, teach him to read defenses and have confidence in his reads, then he might work out.
    Appreciate that analysis, Steve...in other words, Love is raw...and a big question mark whether he can be coached up or not...

Comment

• Sgt Schultz
      Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
      • Jun 2013
      • Palm Springs
      • I know nothing
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      Appreciate that analysis, Steve...in other words, Love is raw...and a big question mark whether he can be coached up or not...
      Yes, thanks Steve. I guess Tua or bust now.

I remember that you, Steve, were pretty discouraging about Rivers abilities at first. Do you see any similarities?

Comment

• PR#1
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Paradoxrip View Post
        Jordan Love? I am in SLC Utah and he's a Utah State QB. Big arm, very mobile but the Chargers picking him at #6? That is a huge reach IMO. I hadn't realized he was climbing the draft boards like this. I think I would actually be happier with this pick over Herbert. I still just don't see it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001101731/article/maurice-jonesdrew-nfl-mock-draft-10-chargers-replace-rivers

Seems to have much better touch and accuracy on the deep ball than Herbert.

Comment

• Sgt Schultz
          Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
          • Jun 2013
          • Palm Springs
          • I know nothing
          • Send PM

Seems to me that ability as a "processor" is the defining un-coachable trait of great vs ok quarterbacks. Who are the QB's who have that?

Comment

• bartman83642
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
            Professional Scouts, not Dan Patrick nor PFF, have Love at ~ #15 overall.

Does TPB really think the football world is oblivious to Jordan Love's 2019 TD/TO Ratio ?

It ought to give you pause, or at least motivate you to investigate further.

The QB position is changing. It is changing at the Pop Warner level. It is changing at the HS level. NCAA. NFL.

I have actually watched a lot of Love's games the last couple of years. Being a Boise St. guy I watch a lot of the other Mountain West games and Utah St. has had a lot of TV coverage. People are pointing to his TD to INT ratio and it does seem worrisome. However I will say this at the end of 2018 he lost most of his prime receivers and the others coming in didn't have much experience. Same with the O-line. It went from a lot of senior experience to a lot Frosh's and sophomores. Line play was inconsistent and led to a lot of pressure on the QB position and Love's #s went a bit differently from the year before. Sounds familiar to me for some reason. He really seemed to be making all the throws in 2018 as opposed to 2019 though.

I am definitely not a football scout but it seems to me it could have had a lot to do with his performance last year. From what I saw on TV and what the announcers often commented on it could be the case. It seemed to me a lot like Josh Allen's last year at Wyoming. Went from a mostly senior team down to a lot of freshman and sophomores and play\#s went down for him as well.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Wood, I know you like Bryant, I do too but he won’t last till #71. Gotta look at #37, and do you like Bryant over a guy like Shenault Jr.?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                Wood, I know you like Bryant, I do too but he won’t last till #71. Gotta look at #37, and do you like Bryant over a guy like Shenault Jr.?
                No.
                Shenault will be gone by #37.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• foreigner
                  Tom Telesco is gone
                  • Sep 2013
                  • Send PM

What do you think of Josh Rosen?

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

So Steve’s analysis begs two questions, for perspective’s sake if nothing else:

1. Who are examples of QBs who, in college, were good with their reads AND went on to have good NFL careers (or conversely tanked in the pros)? And

2. Who are examples of QBs who, in college, were not good with their reads AND went on to tank in the pros (or conversely had good NFL careers)?

Enquiring minds want to know. Cuz at 6 we should be able to get the next great Charger QB even if the FO/coach speak right now is standing pat (lies, all lies!). Rivers sat for two years behind Brees who when he was a Charger wasn’t that much better than Tyrod. See a similar game plan with a QB like Love?

Correction: just checked full season stats Brees as a Charger vs. Tyrod as a Bill, Tyrod wins hands down and without the benefit of LT/Gates. Fuck.
                    Last edited by blueman; 02-13-2020, 10:41 AM.

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post
                      What do you think of Josh Rosen?

Milktoast. Should be playing golf!
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Fleet
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Cardiff - Poipu
                        • Send PM

I warned this forum about the Hype train that would come with this kid. lol

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Yep you did, lol.

This draft will define us for a long time, for better or worse.

Comment

Working...
                          X