• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

I don't think you keep him just because of the CB thing. You can sign a vet FA off the streets in less then a week. That guy Chris Carr, we got from the Ravens will probably available once TC is over. He is a vet, has played in the D, and is probably just be kicking around. And if not him, there are probably 20 other guys just like him we could sign.

The thing DePalma has going for him is that We do have a ton of money sunk into other players who are hurt a lot. He doesn't have to win a job. He just has to tie. Then the pluses and minuses will work for him. Sure, Eddie Royal had 90 receptions one year, but he is making a ton of money and doesn't play on ST except as a return guy. DePalma returns and plays on coverage. So does Goodman. And they are cheap. So, while we don't have to cut anyone for cap reasons, I don't think they keep an expensive vet option if a younger, cheaper option that plays ST and will continue to develop would be there.

Goodman and DePalma have a realistic chance to make the team, even if we are deep at WR. But whoever is going to make the roster, has to perform.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
      Grammar Police
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Will Goodman ever be a #3 wr? Im not so sure of his upside if he can not sepperate.
      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

No, I doubt either Goodman or DePalma ever becomes a true #3 WR. Maybe they can be a return guy, gunner who get the occasional Wr snap.

Goodman has the speed to be a good WR. it's his route running and quickness that are not that great. I do think he can be more of an outside type of guy, which is better then most backup WR, who tend to be little quick guys. But someone has to fill that ST role and fill in on coverage.

We also have the son of the best guy to ever fill that role. I am sure Luke Tasker is well aware of how to make an NFL roster as an UDFA. I don't know if he can fill that role himself, if he has that skill set, but he could be another guy who could have a chance to be on the team, but only if he is outstanding on ST.

Comment

• SDFan
          Woober Goober
          • Jun 2013
          • Dolores, CO
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          I don't think you keep him just because of the CB thing. You can sign a vet FA off the streets in less then a week. That guy Chris Carr, we got from the Ravens will probably available once TC is over. He is a vet, has played in the D, and is probably just be kicking around. And if not him, there are probably 20 other guys just like him we could sign.

The thing DePalma has going for him is that We do have a ton of money sunk into other players who are hurt a lot. He doesn't have to win a job. He just has to tie. Then the pluses and minuses will work for him. Sure, Eddie Royal had 90 receptions one year, but he is making a ton of money and doesn't play on ST except as a return guy. DePalma returns and plays on coverage. So does Goodman. And they are cheap. So, while we don't have to cut anyone for cap reasons, I don't think they keep an expensive vet option if a younger, cheaper option that plays ST and will continue to develop would be there.

Goodman and DePalma have a realistic chance to make the team, even if we are deep at WR. But whoever is going to make the roster, has to perform.
          I wouldn't keep him JUST because of the CB thing either. But he could give McCoy a lot of versatility on Game days rosters if he can be counted on as a STer + also fill in at WR or even CB in a pinch if we have injuries.
          Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Beerman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Eastlake
            • Send PM

Honestly neither DePalma or Goodman would get any reps barring injury at WR. Even in the slot, KA is head and shoulders better than either of those guys.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
              Grammar Police
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Rank the WR on our roster.

DX, Floyd, Allen, Royal, DePalm/Goodman/Meachum?
              Go Rivers!

Comment

• Beerman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Eastlake
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                Rank the WR on our roster.

DX, Floyd, Allen, Royal, DePalm/Goodman/Meachum?
                You missed a big one - Brown.

Currently
                DX, Brown, Floyd, Allen, Royal, Meachum, DePalma, Goodman.

Comment

• SDFan
                  Woober Goober
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Dolores, CO
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

starting to worry about Brown and leg injuries.
                  Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                    Unfortunately for him, we are deeper at WR than any other position on the roster. But we do have guys with a history of injuries so he might get a shot if someone goes down.
                    Yeah, unless there is an injury in camp or they cut Royal I dont see him making the team.
                    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                      Grammar Police
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

So no picking up Riley Cooper when he is cut???

(Ducks behind couch)
                      Go Rivers!

Comment

• madcaplaughs
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                        So no picking up Riley Cooper when he is cut???

(Ducks behind couch)
                        C'mon, who doesn't behave that way at a Kenny Chesney concert?

Ducks behind several couches

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by madcaplaughs View Post
                          C'mon, who doesn't behave that way at a Kenny Chesney concert?
                          If only you were joking...
                          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

Working...
                          X