• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Is it fair to draft a guy and not developed him as much as we should, until Mathews gets injured? Do you send Oliver packing or take a cap hit to send Brown packing? Both should be better next year with annother year in this system. I'd rather let Mathews walk and go into next season with Oliver, Brown, Woodhead, late round draft pick, UDFA, UDFA but add two vets to the oline and a draft pick for the oline early!
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

I'd rather put Mathew's money into an o lineman.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
        Yeah bud, I recall you clamoring to have that old guy Hardwick replaced after the loss in Denver in 13...

Not!
        I didn't want Hardwick replaced.

Anthrax.
        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• oneinchpunch
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
          During pregame of the Colts/Donkeys game this flashed on the crawl at the bottom of the screen "No Colts injuries to report" and "No Bronco injuries to report". I can't remember ever seeing that in reference to the Chargers. Even in week 1.
          So Manning wasn't injured. Interesting.
          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Anthax was a grate band!

I was posting sachastic like. I know you were fine with Hardwick, even Clary, but after they went down we kinda should have know it would be no cakewalk. That's before center #3.
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• oneinchpunch
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
              Anthax was a grate band!

I was posting sachastic like. I know you were fine with Hardwick, even Clary, but after they went down we kinda should have know it would be no cakewalk. That's before center #3.
              Was a great band?

Saying the OL was crap in 2013 is no different than saying they were crap in 2014.

Same guys. But boohoo injuries.

That's the story of 2014. Coulda woulda shoulda but unlike other teams the Chargers had injuries.
              Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                Grammar Police
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

No team had five injuries at on position on oline...
                Go Rivers!

Comment

• Sec-E4
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2014
                  • Arizona
                  • Send PM

I know we need an upgraded O-Line and need to figure out our #1 RB situation, But what about our RB coach? Is everyone content with keeping Ollie ????? I'd personally like to switch it up and give Rivers a new RB scheme/game plan

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Can you elaborate on what you mean? Wilson i one of the more celebrated RB coaches in football. He has coached a lot of successful RB and in many different schemes. And probably more importantly, on most staff's, the RB coach is just a drill master. While the OC, QB coach and OL usually have substantial input to the overall philosophy and big picture scheming, usually the RB doesn't contribute too much to that. The running game, pass protection and play action game all come from the offensive formations and run actions (blocking), so I really don't see what Ollie is going to add or subtract from the big picture scheming.

The issue at RB this year was the injuries and the blocking. No team is going to be that successful if the RB keep getting hit in the backfield. That and the dreadful interior blocking tied the playcalling up all season. Our offense had all the tell tale signs of an offense that had a bad OL. The inconsistency is the biggest. To be honest, I think the coaches all did a pretty terrific job because of the problems with injuries and shuffling. They took a bunch of players who had no business being on an NFL field and almost got us in the playoffs. But there is only so much coaching can overcome, and we were still overcoming a lot, and then the injuries just kept getting worse.

Comment

• Sec-E4
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2014
                      • Arizona
                      • Send PM

If a RB coach is only a drill master, Then why give him props for his past ?

I understand some of the greats Ollie has worked with, And all the injuries we had.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

You make it sound like developing skills is some minor function. Skill development, especially at RB is incredibly important, which is why RB coaches focus on it. We need to focus on execution and precision. I think the scheme part is entirely overrated. Again, as I have said before, there is no such thing as a new and innovative scheme. It has all been done before.

If you look at the greatest football coaches of all time, they are basically all drill masters. Vince Lombardi prided himself on having the smallest offense in the NFL at the time, and just out executing everyone.

Comment

Working...
                        X