Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
    Yuba...

I am going to waste a ton of bandwidth with this post, for sure. But I feel compelled to reply. Consider this some "fatherly advice". I don't know much about football, but I do feel somewhat qualified to comment on some of the the stuff that goes on around these parts. So, take it in the spirit in which it is intended:

1. You will NEVER convince anyone here that you are correct. Never. As in...never. Even if you ARE correct, no one will admit it (and I can't say I blame them). You have dug yourself a starship-sized hole with the tone of many of your posts since you arrived, so the SS Yuba-Is-Correct ship has sailed. Months ago. And it ain't comin' back.

2. Ask yourself this: Why is it important that your argue your points so incessantly? Here's another: Why does it matter so much to you?

3. This is NOT the place that you NEED to be correct! Ever. As in...ever. None of this matters. Unless you take some sort of - forgive me - twisted pleasure in simply arguing for the sake of arguing, you are truly wasting your 'breath'. The only thing you are going to achieve with the sheer number of War and Peace posts is to hasten the onset of Carpel Tunnel Syndrome. Nothing else. You might as well try and argue your points to my buddies Kodi and Max. They MIGHT listen. I can guarantee you that NO ONE on this board is going to give you the time of day. That is a 'honor' you have earned, by the way.

4. In my humble opinion, this is a place to come and visit and just rejoice in being wrong. All the time. Where else - on EARTH - can you do that and get away with it? Think about that for a minute: You can post here for 16 years (as I have) and NEVER ONCE BE CORRECT ABOUT ANYTHING! And you haven't lost one penny, gained one pound, or otherwise had to do or say anything important! I mean, really, this place just might be heaven.

So, in closing, may I suggest that you just LIGHTEN UP and go with the flow. You'll find the 'flow' to be pure fun...and you might even win over a couple of people in the process.
    Here,here.

I've no idea why he insists repeating the same jibberish. I don't agree with probably 75%,OR SO of his takes and the continuous bullshit rebuttles just makes me not even want to bother..... MOST of the time.

I don't like reading long posts so I skip over many of them unless they start out real good. His don't do that.
    You also have to have a concept that hey, maybe I am wrong. He has NO capacity to realize that.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Wow 565 posts, glad I didn't participate in this fart fest.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Antonio's Gates really regrets having started this thread.

Comment

• RobH
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Tokyo, Japan
          • University English Lecturer
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
          Panama, I never said that taunting was not an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. I read the entire unsportsmanlike conduct section. I get that.

Taunting is a subset of unsportsmanlike conduct like Great Danes are a subset of dogs.

If N word usage is not classified as taunting, but just as an unrelated part of unsportsmanlike conduct, then if the ref specifically calls taunting, the foul is not N word usage.

Logically, for example, and by way of analogy, if Great Danes are a subset of dogs and Rottweilers are a different subset of dogs, then if something is called a Great Dane, it is still a dog, but it is not a Rottweiler.
          I just finished watching the game, and the ref on the play called it unsportsmanlike conduct. He never said anything about taunting. The announcers called it taunting. So it could have been the way he disengaged from the tackle or something the ref might have seen. I have no idea. But just for clarification purposes, the ref never actually called taunting.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIY

Atlanta has an awful run D, therefore they give up a lot of yards. It is the essence of statistics. The stat NEVER means anything, it describes what is happening.

Second, YPC doesn't mean what you think it means. You think that on every run play we typically give up 4 or 5 yards rushing like Atlanta does. That is NOT what it means. We gave up a huge chunk of our yards to Harvin's sweep in the Seattle game, plus the QB scrambles. If you subtract those out, we are actually a lot better then 4.5 YPC. The more important part though is how we got to the 4.5 YPC. Atlanta is giving up a lot of yards 4 yards at a time, and has given up a couple of long runs. Teams are sustaining drives against them, so they give up consistent yardage on plays. We are giving up a fair number of longer runs, but we are also stopping people on a fair number of runs. Sure, they get enough to have a good average, but that doesn't matter, because they aren't getting the big runs on the same drive. If you get a 15 yard run on every drive, it doesn't matter unless that run is close enough to score allow points to be scored. But if you give up a 15 yard carry, then hit the other team for no gain, and they throw 2 incomplete passes, they have to punt. Sure, we want to improve and stop the 15 yard run, but in the grand scheme or things, it doesn't matter, because they didn't score. That is what Yuba forgets.

So, to sum up: Atlanta consistently allowing 4 yards -> BAD
            SD inconsistently allowing yards -> good (not the allowing, but because we play well except for a few mistakes).

And how do I know all this. I now live in South Carolina, 2 hours outside of Atlanta, and those are the games on TV. So I WATCH the games. Mostly to be able to give the guys at my new job a hard time, but also to annoy Yuba and because I don't really need an excuse to watch football.
            Chargers Defense : 1 20+ yard gain, long of 51, 21 first downs by rush, 2 rush TD

Falcons Defense: 2 20+ yard gain, long of 55, 33 first downs by rush, 9 rush TDs

Comment

• Yubaking
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
              Are you really this dense? The whole point is that we ignored our run D and focused on the pass D/pass rush this offseason. RUN D DOESN'T MATTER in the big picture.

You are literally proving everyone else's point by admitting that because we have improve our pass D so much, we are able to make stops which literally makes the run D inconsequential.

THE DEFENSE IS DESIGNED TO STOP THE PASS. RUN D DOESN'T MATTER, YET WE ARE TOP 10 WITH A SHIT D.

Don't you see the irony in all this? Run defense does not fucking matter as much as you think.

PS - not to mention our run D isn't actually that terrible.

PPS - take out 25-30 yards and we are at 4.1 ypc which is average.
              Beerman, if I were you, I would not be calling another poster dense when you are proving in the very post in which you make the statement that you are the one that is dense.

It is unbelievable how badly you butchered what I said. What I said was that we got comparatively more stops than ATL, the league's worst pass defense, because while the run defense of the two teams is the same (and it is), our pass defense is better and we possess the ball much more on offense (by almost 4 minutes per game).

I never said pass defense or our offense's time of possession were irrelevant. In fact, our time of possession last year was a key in shielding our weak defense.

Of course, better time of possession and better pass defense are both going to help a defense.

And contrary to the mind numbingly dense analyses of some, run defense absolutely matters and we are basically the same as ATL through 4 games. Here's a newsflash for you--all teams give up big runs from time to time. You don't get to pretend that it didn't happen. And if we could play that game, it would favor ATL because their big run against is longer than ours (55 yards versus 51 yards).

I looked at every single run against the Falcons this year. Shockingly (sarcasm), there were lots of plays on which they shut the opponent down for 3 yards or less, some that they gave up a larger gain less than ten yards (4-9 yards), a handful on which they gave up 10-19 yards, and 1 play on which they gave up 55 yards against MIN (20+ yard category). That's the same kind of general distribution that you get with all teams over the course of a season. What differentiates one defense versus another is just how many are in each category. And that is reflected in YPC against.

Total yards against is crap, which I demonstrated with my example of ATL's rush yards against right now versus every other team's at the end of the year. "But the other teams will have played 12 more games, but, but, but." No shit! That's the point--the only reason their total yards surrendered would be more is because they have way more attempts against them. That's exactly what has happened so far with the comparison between our run defense versus ATL's. The two teams have the same YPC against. Their run defenses are of the same quality, but ATL's defense has been run against many more times than our defense has through 4 games.

As for your notion that our defense is somehow great, we still are a top 5 team in time of possession and, inexplicably, nobody is trying to run against us. It is the most obvious concept ever. A weakness is minimized if it is not exploited. SEA (the only good running team we have played so far) is 3rd in the league in yards per carry at 5.1 and yet they only ran the ball 13 times against us for the whole game. Not one team has run over 41% (when rounded) of the time against us in any of our games.

It is plain as day obvious that our opponent's best chance against us is to run the ball about 60% of the time and throw only 40%. We don't stop the run very well, so it will tend to be effective. And when it is, it will neutralize our time of possession advantage and take our offense out of its rhythm to a degree because that rhythm tends to break up when a team has less of the ball.

Now, that doesn't mean that we can't beat a comparatively run heavy team (like the one we are about to play on Sunday), especially one with a crap QB and crap receivers, but I think when we play teams that can run and pass and can't cheat as much versus the run, our weakness in run defense is likely to be exposed or we will cheat so much against the run that we will create opportunities for those opponents in the passing game.

Finally, in addition to being a good in its own right, having a good run defense, as Dilfer noted, helps the pass defense by forcing opposing offenses into known passing situations. That is a better situation for a pass defense to be in than a situation in which the defense cannot be adjusted in anticipation of the pass.

Our defense is getting better, but it still has work to do. And you are dreaming if you think we are a top 10 defense. We are not a top 10 defense against either the run or the pass. In fact, we are not a top 50% defense against either (17th in YPA against and 21st in YPC against) despite playing against 3 comparatively weak offenses.

Comment

• Yubaking
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by RobH View Post
                I just finished watching the game, and the ref on the play called it unsportsmanlike conduct. He never said anything about taunting. The announcers called it taunting. So it could have been the way he disengaged from the tackle or something the ref might have seen. I have no idea. But just for clarification purposes, the ref never actually called taunting.
                Thanks for the clarification.

The others are assuming that Conner said something. There is no evidence of that.

There is evidence that Conner stood and posed next to (not standing over) the fallen Jag.

All along I have taken the position that the ref erroneously called standing over the player which is a specifically listed unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. What you have said further supports what I had originally thought happened.

There is just nothing but the made up speculation on this forum to suggest that anything else happened--no proof at all. As I have said all along, bad call.

Comment

• RobH
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Tokyo, Japan
                  • University English Lecturer
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
                  Thanks for the clarification.

The others are assuming that Conner said something. There is no evidence of that.

There is evidence that Conner stood and posed next to (not standing over) the fallen Jag.

All along I have taken the position that the ref erroneously called standing over the player which is a specifically listed unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. What you have said further supports what I had originally thought happened.

There is just nothing but the made up speculation on this forum to suggest that anything else happened--no proof at all. As I have said all along, bad call.
                  Actually If one were to be intellectually honest, one would say that there is no proof either way as to whether it was correct or not.

Comment

• Yubaking
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIY

Atlanta has an awful run D, therefore they give up a lot of yards. It is the essence of statistics. The stat NEVER means anything, it describes what is happening.

Second, YPC doesn't mean what you think it means. You think that on every run play we typically give up 4 or 5 yards rushing like Atlanta does. That is NOT what it means. We gave up a huge chunk of our yards to Harvin's sweep in the Seattle game, plus the QB scrambles. If you subtract those out, we are actually a lot better then 4.5 YPC. The more important part though is how we got to the 4.5 YPC. Atlanta is giving up a lot of yards 4 yards at a time, and has given up a couple of long runs. Teams are sustaining drives against them, so they give up consistent yardage on plays. We are giving up a fair number of longer runs, but we are also stopping people on a fair number of runs. Sure, they get enough to have a good average, but that doesn't matter, because they aren't getting the big runs on the same drive. If you get a 15 yard run on every drive, it doesn't matter unless that run is close enough to score allow points to be scored. But if you give up a 15 yard carry, then hit the other team for no gain, and they throw 2 incomplete passes, they have to punt. Sure, we want to improve and stop the 15 yard run, but in the grand scheme or things, it doesn't matter, because they didn't score. That is what Yuba forgets.

So, to sum up: Atlanta consistently allowing 4 yards -> BAD
                    SD inconsistently allowing yards -> good (not the allowing, but because we play well except for a few mistakes).

And how do I know all this. I now live in South Carolina, 2 hours outside of Atlanta, and those are the games on TV. So I WATCH the games. Mostly to be able to give the guys at my new job a hard time, but also to annoy Yuba and because I don't really need an excuse to watch football.
                    If ATL's 22nd ranked run defense in YPC against is awful, so is our 21st ranked run defense. They yield the same yards per carry against when rounded to the nearest tenth of a yard.

In addition, yards per carry times number of attempts equals total yards. I will guarantee you that if you reduce the number of attempts, you will reduce the total number of yards. That is the only difference in ATL's total rushing yards surrendered and our total rushing yards surrendered. Teams have rushed the ball against ATL more. That's the difference, period. Even an awful run defense does not yield a lot of rushing yards against it, if the other team does not run the ball.

Moreover, your excuse making for our run defense and overstated criticism of the Falcons' run defense is nothing short of pathetic. You don't get to take away the QB runs and the long run. They count against our run defense and what you seem to have missed is that they also have counted against ATL's run defense. Okay, Mr. I Watched the Games, didn't you notice the multiple 10+ yard gains that the Falcons have given up on QB runs?

The fact is that the general profile of both teams is similar. There are numerous stops for short gains. Then, there are fewer runs for 4-9 yards, still fewer runs for 10-19 yards and still fewer runs for 20+ yards. YPC considers all of that. A team that gives up a bunch of longer runs is a bad run defense. And any such tendency offsets a greater number of shorter runs allowed when compared to a defense that has not had as many short yardage stops.

The problem with your analysis is that you NEVER consider run defense in isolation of other variables when discussing its importance. Nobody is saying that pass defense is irrelevant or that time of possession is irrelevant. Having a good time of possession offense and a good pass defense are helpful things to have and I have never said otherwise. But what you seem to miss is that having a good run defense is helpful also and that by stopping the run, the defense can force opponents into known passing situations, which increases the odds for successful pass defense.

You say run defense is irrelevant. Consider that IND and BAL both have pass defenses that yield 8.0 YPA against (not so good). IND leads the NFL in time of possession and possesses the ball over 3 minutes more per game than BAL does. BAL yields 3.3 YPC against (very good), while IND yields 4.4 YPC against (slightly below average). BAL gives up 15.0 points per game and IND gives up 23.8 points per game.

You say run defense is irrelevant. I think that is an astonishing thing for a Chargers fan to say. We couldn't stop the Patriots when they ran in the 3rd and 4th quarter in NE and we did not go to the Super Bowl (2007 season). We couldn't stop the Steelers on the ground in the 2008 playoffs and lost our season. We couldn't stop the Jets on the ground in the 2009 playoffs and lost our season. To me, those playoff losses seemed pretty relevant as did the key role that the opponent's ground game had in all of them. Maybe you are okay with playoff losses. I am not.

Comment

• Yubaking
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by RobH View Post
                      Actually If one were to be intellectually honest, one would say that there is no proof either way as to whether it was correct or not.
                      I can demonstrate a pose that comes very close to, but is not unsportsmanlike conduct, but could have been mistaken for unsportsmanlike conduct, and I can demonstrate a flag being thrown. There is no evidence of any other action. Absent any proof of such other action, the only conclusion that can reasonably drawn is that Conner was flagged for the pose.

That does not guarantee that the conclusion is correct, but it is the only reasonable conclusion that can be drawn based upon the evidence that exists. I mean those that speculate about words being spoken have as much proof for their assertion as I would if I stated that vapors from Mars caused the ref to react as he did.
                      Last edited by Yubaking; 10-02-2014, 08:17 AM.

Comment

• Yubaking
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                        Chargers Defense : 1 20+ yard gain, long of 51, 21 first downs by rush, 2 rush TD

Falcons Defense: 2 20+ yard gain, long of 55, 33 first downs by rush, 9 rush TDs
                        Obviously, the number of first downs and TDs given up on the ground are largely irrelevant to how good a run defense is. For example, most of ATLs rushing TDs allowed are on carries of 3 yards or less. It is not necessarily bad run defense to give up those types of carries.

The other thing that your analysis does is that it fails to consider that ATL has had approximately 1.56 times the number of carries against it that our defense has had against it. So even if you thought that anything you cited were relevant at all (and I don't), a conversion would have to be made to adjust for number of attempts. Rounding to the nearest whole number, interestingly enough, if you multiply our numbers by 1.56, you would get the same 33 first downs yielded on the ground. I have already explained ATL's run TD versus pass TD breakdown in another post, but I think ATL's rushing TDs yielded are about as relevant as their league's best (among teams playing 4 games) rank in fewest passing TDs yielded--that is, totally irrelevant as ATL has the worst pass defense in the NFL in YPA against.

Comment

• Beerman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Eastlake
                          • Send PM

@LRiddickESPN: #Falcons giving up over 6 yds per carry right down middle of def., and still one of the worst pass rush teams in the NFL.

Maybe you will listen if it comes from Espn. Love how you completely ignored the football outsiders stats that crush everything you said as usual.

Comment

Working...
                          X