• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Classic
    Hall Of Fame
    • Dec 2014
    • Send PM

This was obvious the day Phillip Rivers left and we earned a top pick. Herbert wasn't my selection of choice but I can see the reasoning based on his ceiling.

Comment

• nomad1946
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2017
      • West Yellowstone, Montana
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Big, big reach, especially with Simmons and 3 excellent OTs available. :troll:

Comment

• captaind
        Cook This Pork Chops
        • Jun 2013
        • Mars
        • Ball Holder
        • Send PM

Looks like I won’t be buying a jersey tonight after all

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Let's begin the spin baby!
          https://theathletic.com/1760680/2020...020-nfl-draft/
          What Oregon QB Justin Herbert will bring to the Los Angeles Chargers

By Tyson Alger 12m ago 1

EUGENE, Ore. — There was a time when all anyone knew about Justin Herbert — who went sixth to San Diego on Thursday night in the first round of the draft — was that he belonged to a fishing club.

It was 2016 and Herbert was a true freshman. The hometown boy had signed with Oregon as a relatively unknown three-star prospect and entered preseason camp as the team’s No. 4 quarterback. But two things became apparent during camp: Oregon wasn’t going to be that good and Herbert was far and away the best quarterback on the roster.

So after Oregon started 2-3, the Ducks made a change. Out went Dakota Prukop and in came Herbert, a 6-foot-6, soft-spoken, baby-faced kid who liked fishing. That was about all anyone knew about him: He started Sheldon High’s fishing club. Things quickly changed.

“Already we’re anointing him as the second coming,” then-Oregon offensive line coach Steve Greatwood said in 2016. “The leadership aspect with a vocal level isn’t there, but it wasn’t there with (Marcus Mariota), either. He captures the team just from the way he carries himself on and off the field.”

Four seasons later, Herbert’s name is second to Mariota’s in most categories in Oregon’s record books. Herbert basically started for four seasons, leading the Ducks’ turnaround from a 4-8 record in 2016 to his grand finale, when his three rushing touchdowns keyed Oregon’s Rose Bowl victory over Wisconsin in January. He was named game MVP and at long last it felt as if the biggest question about Herbert had been answered.

The physical tools always were there. Even in 2016, Herbert looked the part of an NFL quarterback. He’s 6 feet 6 and pushing 240 pounds. Arm strength? For much of his career, Oregon didn’t have the receivers to properly make use of Herbert’s strong arm. And while Herbert’s usage in the rushing attack tapered significantly following a fractured collarbone as a sophomore, he has displayed exceptional mobility for a player of his size.

The questions that dog Herbert are, like Greatwood said four years ago, similar to the ones Mariota faced: Can a player that quiet be a leader? Is he a winner?
          Actually, the second question should have disappeared; Herbert’s performance in 2019 answered that one. The Ducks won important games in 2019 against Washington and USC on the road, and he finished his Oregon career with a 29-13 record as a starter. The leadership, though, is a work in progress. Herbert is a hard worker and he’s smart. He was a three-time academic All-American and was the second player in Pac-12 history to win the William V. Campbell Trophy, referred to by many as “the academic Heisman.” He’s not naturally inclined to be a vocal player, but he also recognizes that he needs to be that succeed at the next level.

“When I showed up, I was shy and didn’t want to step on anyone’s toes, and the quarterback can’t be that,” Herbert said at February’s NFL Scouting Combine. “To be a successful team, you have to have a quarterback that’s himself. He’s got to be genuine and real, and needs to demand from his offense and from the team what he needs to get out of them. I’ve done a better job of being vocal, stepping up and stepping out of my comfort zone.”

He’s not a finished product. While Herbert might have the best arm in the draft, his accuracy needs to improve at the NFL level, as does his anticipation. While it wasn’t often a hindrance at Oregon, Herbert on occasion would miss an open target or get too locked in on his first read. Oregon’s first game of the 2019 season was its most hyped, with the Ducks playing Auburn in Arlington, Texas. Herbert was 28-of-37 for 242 yards, one touchdown and no interceptions, and received little help from a running game that netted just 90 yards (37 came on one run). But with a chance to win it on the final play of the game, he overthrew the end zone by 10 yards on a “Hail Mary” in a 27-21 loss.

Still, almost eight months later, after Oregon finished 12-2 and Herbert came up big in the Rose Bowl, there certainly were a handful of NFL GMs willing to go fishing on Herbert in the first round.

Comment

• RTPbolt
            Charger Fan till the end
            • Jun 2013
            • North Carolina
            • Send PM

Im excited to see the kid learn and compete. He is a big strong and athletic kid plus smart. Lets see what he brings to the table. We dont have to rush him in. Healthy history too.

Simmons slides to 8. Its done.

We needed a QB and who knows where we draft next year. I get the pick. He is talented....so now coach the crap out of him.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
              Oline-Tip of the Spear...
              • Feb 2019
              • McLean Illinois
              • Pipefitter Illinois State University
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chargerkdb View Post
              Ugh. I want to be excited. I’m not. He’s a Bolt now. Hope he’s the best ever.
              If you didn't like Herbert, at least you gotta healthy attitude about it...
              The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB, Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Tough crowd.

He’s a QB with very good tools, let him develop behind Taylor for a year, then judge.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                  Let's begin the spin baby!
                  There are few concerns about the strong-armed Herbert’s physical ability. The one overriding concern: Can a player that quiet be a leader?
                  He started the Fishing Club at Sheldon High School...
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Eurobolt
                    *** Jim Harbaugh ***
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Send PM

another need pick by baby Spanos

Comment

• KYBoltsFan
                      THERE'S A GLEAM, MEN
                      Generous Donor
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Would have been interesting to take Simmons and roll the dice on Hurts or Love later in the draft.

I hope Herbert lights it up. If he's not starting week one I don't want to see him at all next season because that would mean we got problems
                      NO SIGNATURE REQUIRED

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

I look forward to watching him gash defenses with his running ability. He is damn smooth on his feet for a big man. It's going to be fun.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

I mean Ive watched him play college ball and there are tons of holes. It was a reach, he’s probably the 5-6th best QBs in this draft.
                          They need to really work on his technique. Fix that, and he'll play better. Don't even plan to play him this year, give him a chance to develop and work on his game and it should work out.

Now, do I think they will really do that? Probably not.

Comment

Working...
                          X