• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kingcrimson
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

A better comp for Rayshawn "Mr. Elite" Jenkins, would be Jaleel "Launchwhiffy" Addae...blows it up with a spectacular tackle one play, then totally whiffs another play...Lamp has been injured so much he hasn't made much of an impact at all...
    Lamp has been injured so much we still have no freaking idea if he’s actually good or not. All we have to go by are limited snaps.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post
      I'm not buying into the hype. The roster looks good on paper, but it's just that; paper. I'm not sure how they addressed the other areas that are still lacking or are a weakness. In 2019 the defense was middle of the pack in run stopping, they didn't get that many turnovers, and they were the 4th worst team on third down defense.

- A linebacker who can stop the run other than Perryman. Murray could likely be. But then who else?
      - CB1 to cover the opponents best receiver
      - Pass rusher on the interior other than Tillery
      - Edge rusher behind Bosa

CB is a big weakness. Nuff said. We're gonna have to do better than Michael Davis.

Linval Joseph can get to the QB, but he isn't like Aaron Donald, Fletcher Cox, Deforest Buckner, or Geno Atkins. Justin Jones isn't much of a pass rusher, The defense needs another pass rusher on the interior at DT, it would also help Tillery to improve. We do have Broughton, who played only a little, and he isn't safe to make the 53 man roster.

We could use an edge rusher behind Bosa. We do have Nwosu, but another backup edge would be nice. Rochell is classified as a DE, but he doesn't have the speed to do well on the edge, and because of that it creates a problem regarding backup edge rushers.

Jenkins is too hit or miss (no pun intended) as a player. He has times where he steps up as a safety and then times when he's terrible. We'll need to do better than Jenkins at high safety or wherever he is assigned to. Hopefully Adderley stays healthy. If he doesn't, he'll be the Forrest Lamp of the defense.
      We can manufactuer pass rush on the inside by moving one of our edge players inside. Both Bosa and Ingram are very good inside rushers. But if they do that, we need someone (or 2 someones) to play outside, when the starters slide inside. Rochelle can provide some inside rush too, but he is not a 3rd down rusher off the edge.

Tillery actually flashed some pass rush ability on the inside last season. But he sucks as a run defender, and that limits his playing time. Jones is only a better run defender in the sense that he is not as putrid as Tillery, and his pass rush is just flashes of ability here and there..

The turnover thing is largely luck. We already play mostly zone D, and that is the only thing you can do to really help the turnover margin. Other than that, all 32 teams coach the same hustle, force turnovers nonsense, and there is no statistical evidence or even coaching mumbo-jumbo that suggests turnovers are much more than luck. Teams with strong pass rush do have a slightly better chance to force some more turnovers.

The biggest thing is to just make sure that Davis gets pushed. I don't buy the fact that Harris is only going to play inside. First, TT said he thought that Harris has been a good outside CB, so while they would move him inside at times, there is no reason to think that he wouldn't start at the outside spot, before moving inside in the nickel and dime.

Comment

• OhioBolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Last year we thought the D would be good, but Derwin James went down, Adderly only seen the field for a few plays on special teams, Tillery had about ZERO impact. Then key players missing time with injuries Melvin Ingram, Michael Davis, Perryman, Justin Jones.

Health is as always going to be the key again on paper we look good, my concerns is corners, Hayward is a year older, Cliff Harris is also older, Davis was up and down then suspended and Desmond King was erratic last season. Need King to play like he did in his first two seasons, Micheal Davis to play consistent and not get suspended, Harris and Hayward not to let this be the season where father-time shows up. My only other concern is Coach Lynn's confidence in Rayshawn Jenkins, we need Adderly to show up and show out and claim the starter position at FS.

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post
          Last year we thought the D would be good, but Derwin James went down, Adderly only seen the field for a few plays on special teams, Tillery had about ZERO impact. Then key players missing time with injuries Melvin Ingram, Michael Davis, Perryman, Justin Jones.

Health is as always going to be the key again on paper we look good, my concerns is corners, Hayward is a year older, Cliff Harris is also older, Davis was up and down then suspended and Desmond King was erratic last season. Need King to play like he did in his first two seasons, Micheal Davis to play consistent and not get suspended, Harris and Hayward not to let this be the season where father-time shows up. My only other concern is Coach Lynn's confidence in Rayshawn Jenkins, we need Adderly to show up and show out and claim the starter position at FS.
          I disagree with about everything you stated other than we were fairly banged up, as usual, last season.
          ShowCase is still at the top of his game.
          Chris Harris Jr. is a great addition to our CB group and will primarily play .05 CB.
          MDavis is our starting CB opposite Hayward and had a solid 3rd NFL season. In his 12 games he produced 9 PBUs. 2 INTs, & 39 tackles.
          Rayshawn was very solid in his first season as our FS. In his 1st season as our FS his 16 games produced, 5 PBUs, 3 INTs, & 54 tackles.
          I hope Nasir is healthy and produces as our 3rd safety in .05/.10 packages and backup CB.
          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• OhioBolt
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

I disagree with about everything you stated other than we were fairly banged up, as usual, last season.
            ShowCase is still at the top of his game.
            Chris Harris Jr. is a great addition to our CB group and will primarily play .05 CB.
            MDavis is our starting CB opposite Hayward and had a solid 3rd NFL season. In his 12 games he produced 9 PBUs. 2 INTs, & 39 tackles.
            Rayshawn was very solid in his first season as our FS. In his 1st season as our FS his 16 games produced, 5 PBUs, 3 INTs, & 54 tackles.
            I hope Nasir is healthy and produces as our 3rd safety in .05/.10 packages and backup CB.
            I think you missing the point Hayward (ShowCase) had a good season last year and Cliff Harris has been good, but I am talking about going into this season I hope for the best but once a corner gets to the other side of 30 some drop off, Hayward & Harris will be 31 by season starts.

MDavis had issues with PI in critical 3rd down plays missed games with injuries and suspended, but we tendered him so I hope he steps up, the year prior 2018 I thought he was decent, 2019 wasn't so good.

Now where I am in total disagrement with you is with Rayshawn Jenkins he was not very solid he was a step late in most instances and missed tackles, I will give him credit on the one interception he actually read and made a break on but his overall play was far from solid.

I hope Adderly is healthy as well

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post

I think you missing the point Hayward (ShowCase) had a good season last year and Cliff Harris has been good, but I am talking about going into this season I hope for the best but once a corner gets to the other side of 30 some drop off, Hayward & Harris will be 31 by season starts.

MDavis had issues with PI in critical 3rd down plays missed games with injuries and suspended, but we tendered him so I hope he steps up, the year prior 2018 I thought he was decent, 2019 wasn't so good.

Now where I am in total disagrement with you is with Rayshawn Jenkins he was not very solid he was a step late in most instances and missed tackles, I will give him credit on the one interception he actually read and made a break on but his overall play was far from solid.

I hope Adderly is healthy as well
              No point was missed. Simple disagreement with the points you attempted to make and failed.
              You can easily see that the on field production does not matchup with your assertions of perceived poor play.
              Example:
              - MDavis had his most productive season in only 12 games/starts with 9 PBUs and 2 INTs while only getting 4 PI penalties called all season. This in only his 3rd NFL season after being an UDFA. He has the size, speed, length, recovery burst that can’t be taught while he is learning the nuances of playing boundary CB. He is only 25 yo. Best football is ahead of him and our Bolts believe in developing it’s youth.
              - Rayshawn had a very solid season and was a top 5 FS vs the pass. He will be better in his 2nd season at FS.

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• Classic
                Hall Of Fame
                • Dec 2014
                • Send PM

Harris and Hayward will be 31 at start of 2020? I think CB has to be the pick in next years draft.

Comment

• Antonio’s Gates
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2020
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post
                  Harris and Hayward will be 31 at start of 2020? I think CB has to be the pick in next years draft.
                  If you mean the first round pick...I hope not. The only thing I hate more than drafting a RB first is drafting a corner. Neither of the two best corners in the league last season were drafted higher than the 5th round.

I also think Adderley might fit better at corner than safety.

Comment

• Panamamike
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Antonio's Gates View Post

If you mean the first round pick...I hope not. The only thing I hate more than drafting a RB first is drafting a corner. Neither of the two best corners in the league last season were drafted higher than the 5th round.

I also think Adderley might fit better at corner than safety.
                    Nah. I think Adderely will be an amazing deep safety. Has huge range and attacks the ball in the air. I see him as our starting FS.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

No point was missed. Simple disagreement with the points you attempted to make and failed.
                      You can easily see that the on field production does not matchup with your assertions of perceived poor play.
                      Example:
                      - MDavis had his most productive season in only 12 games/starts with 9 PBUs and 2 INTs while only getting 4 PI penalties called all season. This in only his 3rd NFL season after being an UDFA. He has the size, speed, length, recovery burst that can’t be taught while he is learning the nuances of playing boundary CB. He is only 25 yo. Best football is ahead of him and our Bolts believe in developing it’s youth.
                      - Rayshawn had a very solid season and was a top 5 FS vs the pass. He will be better in his 2nd season at FS.

It's a matchup issue too.
                      MDavis is our biggest CB.
                      We must cover TEs and big WRs.

Also I would like to see Perryman get a chance to blast Josh Jacobs with Linval protecting up front.
                      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Great White North
                        • Draftnik
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

It's a matchup issue too.
                        MDavis is our biggest CB.
                        We must cover TEs and big WRs.

Also I would like to see Perryman get a chance to blast Josh Jacobs with Linval protecting up front.
                        MDavis is our biggest, fastest, and highest ceiling CB on our current roster. 25 yo with 21 starts under his belt.
                        Our D looks more well rounded this season. Dictating matchups, D&D, and putting teams into 3rd and 7+ YTG should be our keys to success. This allows out pass rushers to pin their ears back and DBs to sit and jump routes. Producing turnovers is the key to winning football in the NFL.

MikeDub
                        K9
                        Nasir
                        Tillery
                        Parham
                        Reed

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

MDavis is our biggest, fastest, and highest ceiling CB on our current roster. 25 yo with 21 starts under his belt.
                          Our D looks more well rounded this season. Dictating matchups, D&D, and putting teams into 3rd and 7+ YTG should be our keys to success. This allows out pass rushers to pin their ears back and DBs to sit and jump routes. Producing turnovers is the key to winning football in the NFL.
                          Sick K9 on them ninja.
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X