• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Caslon
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2019
    • Send PM

I always thought of a SB winning team having one RB most of the load. Some here say otherwise. That scenario (running back by committee) usually requires an exceptional HC and OC. OK, I guess we got that,heh. It could happen. Just need brilliant HC'ing and OC'ing. Is the coaching duo of Lynn and what's his name up to the task? I have my doubts. At least please please not have Lynn mention the word...:RB by committee. Okay?

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Some teams use most of the carries to one guy, some like a committee. The problem with a featured RB is that what happens when they get hurt (think salary cap with this too)? Some RB just never get "going" when they don't get enough carries. It can go both ways.

The first thing, before we pick either approach, we need to figure out what we have in preseason. And besides what we have, it seems like a lot of teams have some runner they would love to keep, gets a ton of carries and ton of yards, then they just can't squeeze onto a roster. We should keep an eye out on them too.

Kelley is the only one of the bunch who has the type of big, muscular build to take the pounding. I just am not thrilled with doing it this season. Maybe in time. I think he can be a good part of a rotation this year though. I am really curious to see him as a receiver. He caught very few passes, but in one of the highlights, he had the ball thrown to his wrong shoulder, he didn't break stride, caught the ball, and then continued like nothing had happened. Not a lot of bigger RB can adjust to poorly thrown passes like that. And while he would be mostly a runner, he can help keep the stick moving as a receiver some too.

Jackson got hurt last year, which says about everything about him. I think he will get a sizeable number of carries, but I don't think you can rely on him to get 10-15 carries a game and several passes. Maybe every once in a while, but not every game. I like him as a player, but not as a featured back.

Ekeler is a good, slashing runner, but he is so explosive in the open field, I am not sure I want to waste all his touches on slamming him into the line 10-20 times a game, when he is so explosive. I would like to see him get more catches and a similar number of rushes (let Jackson and Kelley expand the number of carries).

The big problem with the NFL is that NFL teams tend to come up with passing solution to just about every difficulty they have in game planning. Someone is blitzing, pass. Someone rolls coverage, some new passing concept. That is why some NFL teams get away from the running game, when the running game starts to struggle anyway, then they keep facing their weekly challenge, and they keep going to all these "solution" plays and those are mostly passes.

You also just have some coaches who feel there are times when you can't run the ball. Their D is too stacked, and they are forcing you to throw.... I get that, but to some degree, you let their defense dictate to you when you do that.

I think having some answers in the running game plus just not giving up on the run is the way you can counter what defenses are doing, and make them continue to defend the run.

Comment

• WindsorUK
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Windsor, U.K.
        • Send PM

Just watched some of the Senior Bowl tape.
        Kelley has good vision and because of it, makes quick decisions. And he's a north south runner as well.
        Wasn't highly thrilled with the pick but am coming around. With the zone blocking scheme, kid has a chance to produce.
        Haven't had a chance to see any videos on the UDFA's but quite happy with Ekeler, JJ, and now Kelley.

Comment

• Heatmiser
          BetterToday ThanYesterday
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Despite saying all the right things, I don't think Lynn ever really wanted Gordon. Not because he is a bad kid, but rather he is not the type of runner Lynn wants in his offense. So it was probably a really easy decision to say goodbye to Gordon (and the holdout and poor performance last season only made it easier). Now, with Kelley, Lynn can do what he wants with the run game. Last season, before Gordon came back, the run game actually looked pretty good. When Gordon got back, it tanked for a long while.

tg
          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• madcaplaughs
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
            Despite saying all the right things, I don't think Lynn ever really wanted Gordon. Not because he is a bad kid, but rather he is not the type of runner Lynn wants in his offense. So it was probably a really easy decision to say goodbye to Gordon (and the holdout and poor performance last season only made it easier). Now, with Kelley, Lynn can do what he wants with the run game. Last season, before Gordon came back, the run game actually looked pretty good. When Gordon got back, it tanked for a long while.

tg
            We all felt betrayed by Gordon, probably the Coaches/team most of all. The year before, when we made it to the playoffs, the play action was very important in what we did. We didn't have that element last year. We got rushed up the middle all of the time. The between the tackles running game really helps to cure that. I also liked that Kelly was praised for his pass blocking. That's an underrated part of a RB's game. I like the comp to Gore. Hopefully he'll be as prolific.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
              Kelley has good vision and because of it, makes quick decisions. And he's a north south runner as well.
              Wasn't highly thrilled with the pick but am coming around. With the zone blocking scheme, kid has a chance to produce.
              Haven't had a chance to see any videos on the UDFA's but quite happy with Ekeler, JJ, and now Kelley.
              In other words, Kelley > Gordon in those three areas. Where Gordon excels is out in space, where he does fairly well with YAC, until someone trips him up...

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Kelley seems to be a better zone runner, and Gordon was better in power schemes following blockers.

As far as pass protection, we will see. It's a big step up from college to the NFL. A lot of guys who do well in college will sometimes struggle in pro, and guys who were bad in college excel with the right coaching in the NFL. Most just need some work at it. Gordon and Ekeler were both terrible as rookies, and both made huge strides by their 2nd season. The thing I like about Kelley is that while I couldn't see him in the games I found of him, he was at least going out to get people. Some college RB aren't really confident about who to block, so they wait till the blitzers come free, and then the pass rusher just reaches around and grabs the QB. Kelley was going out to get his guy, giving him the space to divert the rusher around, although I don't recall the rusher really getting past him.

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Yep. Him, Herbert, definitely coming around on these picks, very hopeful.

Comment

• Antonio’s Gates
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2020
                    • Send PM

Kelley will be better than Gordon imo, but I’m also a guy that would never take a RB in the first, so maybe that’s just my bias talking. I do think he’s a three down guy though and is a great fit for a zone scheme. I like Ekeler, but to me he’s more of a souped up Woodhead than an every down, get tough yards, kinda guy.

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Antonio's Gates View Post
                      Kelley will be better than Gordon imo, but I’m also a guy that would never take a RB in the first, so maybe that’s just my bias talking. I do think he’s a three down guy though and is a great fit for a zone scheme. I like Ekeler, but to me he’s more of a souped up Woodhead than an every down, get tough yards, kinda guy.
                      No I'm Good Taking Elliot at 4, McCaffrey at 8, and LT at #7 when it;s warranted. It looks like there's on average a top ten RB every other year drafted but they don't always measure up. But I will say once they're drafted this high the failure rate is very low because they usually are just exceptional athletes.
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

I was going to post something very similar
                        his vision and instincts are excellent
                        He maximizes every carry to get the most yards without depending on one single aspect of his game.
                        so on one run he'll take advantage of poor leverage from a defender to sneak in a few extra yards
                        on the next carry he'll gjve a subtle juke to get a defender turning JUST enough to sneak in a few more yards

Crafty. Natural.
                        as many here are noticing, he is the anti-gordon
                        P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                        P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                        P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                        P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                          Outback Goon
                          • Sep 2018
                          • Australia
                          • Send PM

sounds like Kelley is the type of back, when you need 2 yards he gets ya 3

Comment

Working...
                          X