• Show
Clear All
  • JayShort21
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
    Pre draft TT

“We’re always looking for speed everywhere,” Telesco said. “We’re an athletic, speed-based team. If that’s not the No. 1 criteria with almost every player we take, it’s pretty high. At every position, speed and athletic ability are paramount for us.”

It looks like Reed will be given every opportunity to succeed. And KJ wasn't what they wanted, but presented too much value to pass on.
    I think that's a pretty fair assessment.

Hopefully Reed can get on tht field and be a playmaker with all that speed. Should be fun to watch with all the pistol/misdirection stuff.

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Joe Reed impressing with L.A. Chargers

ByJAMIE OAKES 6 hours ago
      The Los Angeles Chargers may have landed the steal of the 2020 NFL Draft.When L.A. drafted former Virginia Cavaliers return man and wide receiver Joe Reed, the Chargers landed a versatile playmaker, who has a long history of making big plays.

The Chargers were looking for wide receiver help. They were also looking to improve their kick return game.

“You want to be able to change the field position for your offense,” said Chargers special teams coach George Stewart. “I think last year, the normal starting position was the 26-yard line and that has to be better. Yeah, because they give you 25 on fair catches, so that's just a one-yard difference. We want to be able to be a 30-35 yard kick return start-line team.

“And again, you go get Joe Reed. I'm not putting everything on Joe Reed, but he had great success at Virginia, but you bring him into the fold along with (fellow former UVA star) Darius Jennings, who I’ve seen personally return kickoffs in this league for touchdowns. We’re very fortunate … but you have so many great kickers that can kick the ball through the end zone, so that kind of offsets a great return guy.

“We knew that drafting Joe Reed but Joe can help us as a multi-dimensional guy on offense as well.”

In his 50-game career at Virginia, Reed caught 129 passes for 1,465 yards and 16 touchdowns. As a senior in 2019, he had his most productive year as a receiver, catching a team-high 77 passes for 679 yards and seven scores.

The Chargers like the idea of Reed as a wide receiver and have talked about using him out of the backfield as well. It’s his ability as a kick returner that really caught the eye of Chargers’ brass.

Reed finished his Virginia career as the program’s all-time leader in kick return yards (3,042), kickoff returns (106), kick returns for touchdowns (five), and longest return (100 yards, tied for first). He is the only player in FBS history with 3,000-plus career kick return yards and a career return average of 28-plus yards. Reed is tied for ninth on the NCAA all-time list with five kickoff returns for scores and his total return yards (3,042) also rank ninth all-time.

Stewart talked about what he likes about Reed as a return man.

“The thing I like about Joe, he's strong,” said Stewart. “He's a strong guy. Other than his physical attributes in terms of being fast, again, we talked about vision, he has great vision, but he’s a strong returner. He has playing strength, and he's able to run through tackles.

“He's bigger than what you think, you know. We brought him in, of course, we did not see these guys until we actually had a chance to come to camp because they didn't have OTAs and have minicamps. So, you had a chance to see him for the first time that I saw him.
      2COMMENTS
      “I'm like, 'my goodness this is a big return man.' But yes, that physical strength, he has great vision and he has big-time speed. So, those three things will give him an opportunity to be successful.”

Reed and the Chargers open the 2020 NFL season on September 13 at 4:05 p.m.on the road against the Cincinnati Bengals
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Coach Lynn comparing Reed to Percy Harvin, "not quite as explosive as Percy but a guy who can do multiple things."

Reed may not have Harvin's pure speed, but Reed is not a head case. We know that from the videos of we have seen of him and his family. I'll take a little less explosive but a good mindset over Harvin's explosiveness and his emotional issues, thank you.

https://www.si.com/nfl/chargers/news...ic-to-the-team

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
          Coach Lynn comparing Reed to Percy Harvin, "not quite as explosive as Percy but a guy who can do multiple things."

Reed may not have Harvin's pure speed, but Reed is not a head case. We know that from the videos of we have seen of him and his family. I'll take a little less explosive but a good mindset over Harvin's explosiveness and his emotional issues, thank you.

https://www.si.com/nfl/chargers/news...ic-to-the-team
          I absolutely concur.

Joe is a beast. Will get touches in the run & pass game as well as returning. Screens, jet sweeps, verticals, speed outs, slants, KOs, punts just get him the ball. Just a monster with the ball in his hands.

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

It’s cliche but he looks like one of those guys you want to get the balls into his hands, guy.
            deceptive speed, takes good angles and is strong.
            my comp is forrest gump
            G-Ro knows.

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
              It’s cliche but he looks like one of those guys you want to get the balls into his hands, guy.
              deceptive speed, takes good angles and is strong.
              my comp is forrest gump
              Run, Joe, run! STOP!!!

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Harvin's explosiveness is what made him special. Take that away and he's just another guy that does a lot of things. Reed is gonna have to make his own way as Reed.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• AK47
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2019
                  • Send PM

Wow this Reed kid looked more like like 6-2 220lbs out there returning. His return was capped by Kelly's TD. Draft picks already paying dividends.

Comment

Working...
                  X