• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Somewhat off topice but it's so interesting to read about all this stuff that breaks down the science of perfect mechanics for a QB. I'm fine with Pep Hamilton. But I almost wish we could steal Mario Verduzco from Nebraska after reading this.

https://theathletic.com/1046003/2019...rian-martinez/

This is the office of Mario Verduzco, the second-year quarterbacks coach at Nebraska. He is 63, has thick, gray, feathered hair and wears round-framed glasses much like the ones favored by John Lennon. Verduzco is prone to slipping off his shoes while discussing the throwing motion and rattling off philosophical quotes and physics formulas. He cites Schmidt’s name and his work while talking about the intricacies of the quarterback position to the point where one wonders if the late UCLA professor should be considered one of the godfathers of quarterback coaching.

Verduzco brings up the aspect of Schmidt’s theory on the specificity of skill, which gets into why he thinks there has been a lot of confusion in the quarterback coaching space. “Even if two skills are quite similar — for example, throwing a baseball and throwing a football correlate damn nearly to zero,” Verduzco says. “That’s not me speaking. That’s the research. You want to screw up a guy’s tennis stroke, have him go play racquetball. And vice versa.”

The playing environment for a quarterback is unlike anything else in sports, he explains.

“Pitchers are on a mound,” he says. “We’re not on a mound. They operate in an absolutely closed environment. The position that I coach is the most open environment skill in all sport. Golf and bowling are closed environment sports. Basketball is a semi-open, closed environment sport, meaning they can do all sorts of stuff but they can’t jack you in the jaw, and the basket is not gonna move. In hockey, they can check you, but the goal’s not gonna move. We’ve got to drop back, eyeballs downfield, throw the ball to a moving target, and those targets are being guarded. All while four or five maniacs are trying to rip your balls off your body.”
    Verduzco’s latest gem is Nebraska sophomore Adrian Martinez, a freshman All-American last season. The Fresno, Calif., native completed 65 percent of his passes — the second-highest single-season total in Nebraska history — and rushed for 629 yards in 2018.

Verduzco made some subtle tweaks with Martinez, who had missed his senior season of high school with a shoulder injury. When Martinez arrived in Lincoln as an early enrollee in 2018, Frost asked Verduzco if the young QB would be able to get more juice on the ball.

“Don’t worry about it,” Verduzco told him. “We’ll get it taken care of.”

Verduzco turned to the Butt Drill, which asks the quarterback to throw a football from the seat of his pants, forcing the passer to focus from his shoulder to his hand. “We’re isolating the musculature that throws the football, therefore strengthening it, and we’re gonna increase the flexibility of the shoulder joint — he doesn’t have to worry about hip rotation,” Verduzco says of the merits of the drill. “All he’s worried about it that piece of the puzzle, and we’re rippin’ it.”

The issue Verduzco identified was one of rhythm, as Martinez was bringing the ball back at a slower tempo than when it was going forward. The drill can help solve that. “They’ll bring the ball back slowly — BOOM — then let it rip,” he says. “It’s to get them to understand it’s like a rubber band. Expand and contract. Expand and contract. Cha-Ching! Cha-Ching! Cha-Ching! Once the new program took over, he never looked back.”

Sure enough, during last year’s preseason camp, Frost was wowed by the velocity on Martinez’s throws.
    Verduzco also goes into great detail about what he believes is one of the bigger misnomers in quarterback coaching: “Blocked trials will improve the performance for an isolated skill but will have a detrimental impact on learning the array of requisite skills. Random Variable Practice will have a positive impact on both learning and performance. This fact must be tempered with the stage of learning.”

Verduzco’s adherence to Schmidt’s theory about random variable practice shows when he is on the practice field. When he has his QBs doing 12 reps, it can be a mix of frontside curl, a backside hitch, a backside post, but all are in variable random order to be more in line with how a quarterback has to operate within the game.

He suspects few other quarterback coaches in college football, if any, are incorporating random variable practice to train their QBs unless they’ve heard him speak in a lecture or they understand the notion of Schmidt’s Scheme theory. “It’s really simple,” he says, adding that the first time quarterbacks get into this practice mode, it “shocks their brain”, and the results, initially, are pretty ugly.

Verduzco’s methods incorporate a lot of throwing at practice, his quarterbacks say. He has all kinds of throws and drills for them — rapid-fire, progressives and regressives; T-drills; zero-, 45- and 90-degree, 3 o’clock and 9 o’clock throws.

Another piece of the puzzle for a quarterback, from the psychological perspective, is kinesthetic awareness. “Then, once he’s aware of it, we’re golden,” Verduzco says, employing a method he’s taken from Schmidt of exaggerating the error in both directions.
    How quarterbacks learn and improve does not need to be a mystery. It’s much more a science, and that is the Verduzco method.

“The way I coach our guys that play for us, is that I want to give you the principles by which you can go ahead and coach yourself. I want to get to the point where that guy doesn’t need me. I want to give them the principles now, as I see it.

“The science is readily available and has been so for quite a long time. All that was required was to research the appropriate academic disciplines related to each of the four domains of learning, extrapolate said research and apply it to the position.”

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

So not a mystery only Scooby can solve.

Go Herbie!

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

I really hope the team uses Keenan in the slot more. I just think he is so savvy in the middle of the field. And when you have a guy that makes getting open look so easy? You surround with enough distractions that all that underneath stuff should come easy. And his ability to get dirty blocking helps the run game. But the connection he and Herbert could have with him in the slot could be the most important player he ever plays with. Like Rivers and Gates. Allen can do all that stuff. Obvioulsy on the perimeter as well. But with the move to secure players like Hill and Reed i know they are going to try and work with his strengths. And thats by peppering the seems. Like Jackson in Baltimore. They have so much in the middle for him. Mainly TEs. But Allen can play like one from the slot. He is that crafty. I expect to see this offense go heavy between the hash marks. And Herbert despite his lower velocity scores can sling fastballs. There is good film of him threading the ball in that window.

I was just thinking about Allen. And wondering what we do long term. Because he is a guy that is so technical with his routes that he will be a dominant slot WR later in his career.

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Only reason not to keep him and pay him well, is if his play drops off. Not expecting that lol.

Comment

• Classic
            Hall Of Fame
            • Dec 2014
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
            I really hope the team uses Keenan in the slot more. I just think he is so savvy in the middle of the field. And when you have a guy that makes getting open look so easy? You surround with enough distractions that all that underneath stuff should come easy. And his ability to get dirty blocking helps the run game. But the connection he and Herbert could have with him in the slot could be the most important player he ever plays with. Like Rivers and Gates. Allen can do all that stuff. Obvioulsy on the perimeter as well. But with the move to secure players like Hill and Reed i know they are going to try and work with his strengths. And thats by peppering the seems. Like Jackson in Baltimore. They have so much in the middle for him. Mainly TEs. But Allen can play like one from the slot. He is that crafty. I expect to see this offense go heavy between the hash marks. And Herbert despite his lower velocity scores can sling fastballs. There is good film of him threading the ball in that window.

I was just thinking about Allen. And wondering what we do long term. Because he is a guy that is so technical with his routes that he will be a dominant slot WR later in his career.

I worry the Spanos putting money on guy who has a history of injuries. Allen is worth it now and the next 2 seasons but after that I'm not sure. Could end up in another Ingram situation

Comment

• WindsorUK
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Windsor, U.K.
              • Send PM

Keenan is a legitimate star!
              You pay your stars!

Comment

• BoltBacker
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Las Vegas, NV
                • Send PM

Keenan Allen is great in his role but looking at the list below I don't pay him 20M. I appreciate his skill, he is the best slow receiver in the league. To get that much you have to be the total package.
                • Browns WR Odell Beckham Jr.: $18 million.
                • Raiders WR Antonio Brown: $16.7 million.
                • Buccaneers WR Mike Evans: $16.5 million.
                • Texans WR DeAndre Hopkins: $16.2 million.
                • Rams WR Brandin Cooks: $16.2 million.
                • Vikings WR Adam Thielen: $16.2 million.

Comment

• Classic
                  Hall Of Fame
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltBacker View Post
                  Keenan Allen is great in his role but looking at the list below I don't pay him 20M. I appreciate his skill, he is the best slow receiver in the league. To get that much you have to be the total package.
                  • Browns WR Odell Beckham Jr.: $18 million.
                  • Raiders WR Antonio Brown: $16.7 million.
                  • Buccaneers WR Mike Evans: $16.5 million.
                  • Texans WR DeAndre Hopkins: $16.2 million.
                  • Rams WR Brandin Cooks: $16.2 million.
                  • Vikings WR Adam Thielen: $16.2 million.
                  I love Keenan Allen on the Chargers as much as anyone else but I wouldn't make the highest paid WR in the league. Only guys I'd pay that for are Julio Jones and Calvin Johnson.

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

He will use Julio's contract as a barometer. My expectations at least. He wont get that money. But he will use that contract. But you do what you have to to keep him. I think he can be what Gates was to Rivers between the hashes. And he is the perfect pass catcher for a rookie QB. He is just always open on his short stuff. His routes are the best in the league if not close to it. He could develop a serious connection with Herbert.

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Keenan Allen signed a 4 year, $45,000,000 contract with the San Diego Chargers, including a $9,500,000 signing bonus, $20,656,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $11,250,000.

I'm sorry...if he wants more than $14-15 million it's time to let him walk. What we're paying him now is fair and a slight raise is fair but to bust the bank is not so smart especially when you have other under paid or lower paid players on your team. We don't know if there are going to be modifications to the salary for next year yet...so....:wtf:
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

I don’t think we’ve seen Keenan’s best yet. Just a hunch.

Comment

• gzubeck
                          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Tucson, AZ
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                          I don’t think we’ve seen Keenan’s best yet. Just a hunch.
                          If he plays better it's because there are also better team mates on the field who are attracting enough attention from him so that he gets open more often.:stirringshit:
                          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

Working...
                          X