Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Antonio's Gates View Post
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-nfl-draft#LAC

Linebacker Denzel Perryman

The oft-injured Miami product was able to tie his career high by playing 14 games in 2019, but the Chargers were using Perryman as only a two-down linebacker. He took just 20 snaps on third down all season, and when they traded up to draft Kenneth Murray in the first round, it likely came at the expense of Perryman's spot in the lineup.

Los Angeles would save only about $1.7 million by cutting the 27-year-old Perryman, but that would help free up space for the team to pursue a veteran left tackle such as Jason Peters. Perryman's contract also is tradable, and the Chargers could recoup a sixth- or seventh-round pick for the veteran.
    No one is going to trade for Perryman. Anyone who looks at our roster and draft picks can see that he is a possible cap casualty, so a little patience might get you what you want without trading anything. If they let him clear waivers, then they might even get him cheaper than we did.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

I do. Not that it means Murray is playing his spot. Just that guys on the bubble often go to free up space for an incoming player.

I see Murray at both spots. I though of Bobby Wagner when we drafted him. At least with how Bradley might envision him. I see a 3 down LB. Just based on the draft capital it took to get him. So maybe he plays weak and slides inside on 3rd. But hes an 800 snap guy based on the cost oit too to get him. Fuck i hope so.
      Emmanuel Acho has got me convinced that Murray could even play OTTO.
      --length to cover TEs.
      --set the EDGE.
      --incredible backside pursuit.

TBH I thought of WILL immediately.
      Turn Kenneth loose and set him free to seek and destroy.
      The leadership tho...that screams MIKE.

Can Kenneth Murray just play all three ? and NLB ?
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Emmanuel Acho has got me convinced that Murray could even play OTTO.
        --length to cover TEs.
        --set the EDGE.
        --incredible backside pursuit.

TBH I thought of WILL immediately.
        Turn Kenneth loose and set him free to seek and destroy.
        The leadership tho...that screams MIKE.

Can Kenneth Murray just play all three ? and NLB ?
        He can play OTTO, but why would you? The SAM LB is about playing off the TE. It is NOT a playmaking position.

A few guys who line up base D at SAM make some plays, but that is when they get freed up in the nickel. When they play over the TE, they lose the freedom to just run down the ball and make plays all over the field. They need to make sure they don't get hooked, and that they can set the edge. The play is already well under way by the time he has been able to make the read that he is free to run down the ball. They aren't going to trade up to get a speed ILB to then move him to a position to slow things down. Sam is not a position you put playmakers in.

They are much more likely to put him at Will or MIke, because you can play him behind the DT's, and it is going to be hard to get a blocker to him. He would be free to run to the ball, and not have to take on blocks. Most defenses call this the designated "hitman". He is the guy the D is designed to make most of the tackles. You can do it with the WILL, some with the MIKE. You can scheme things either way, but whichever way they decide, that is the position Murray will play. My preference is Mike, because then he can get used to reading from the middle of the formation, but whatever.

As far as the other plays go, once they decide what Murray does, the rest of them will get moved around to get the best groups together situationally. If White ever can get his play back to where he was at as a rookie, they can play him at WIll. Will is probably Tranquill's best spot too, but he played like a 34 ILB in college, so he can play either Mike or Will. Nwosu is still in the mix as the SAM (he was still getting snaps even after Kyzir started there). Egbule has some potential to be used at any of the LB spots, although I think they probably see him as more of a SAM. Whoever plays SAM will also spend some of their reps at LEO, since they are mirror image positions (LEO is actually the rush LB, OTTO/SAM is the drop LB, since our D is actually based on a 34 alignment).

As far as when Murray will play in the nickel and dime defenses, it will all depend on when he gets up to speed on coverage. Unless he is dreadful, I would expect him to start in that package from day1. They didn't trade up for him for nothing. Once they teach him to footwork and the reads, then it is just a matter of drilling it over and over again, and rookie LB pick it up all the time. It is really the only hole in his game, so he can really focus on that. Plus the other things really come natural to a LB. Asking a LB to blitz, and chase RB down is like turning a lion loose to hunt. The brains are wired the right way, they just need a little work on tactics, then nature does the rest. Maybe a bit more time to learn the playbook, depending on how much TC gets missed, what with no OTA's and minicamps.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

He can play OTTO, but why would you? The SAM LB is about playing off the TE. It is NOT a playmaking position.

A few guys who line up base D at SAM make some plays, but that is when they get freed up in the nickel. When they play over the TE, they lose the freedom to just run down the ball and make plays all over the field. They need to make sure they don't get hooked, and that they can set the edge. The play is already well under way by the time he has been able to make the read that he is free to run down the ball. They aren't going to trade up to get a speed ILB to then move him to a position to slow things down. Sam is not a position you put playmakers in.

They are much more likely to put him at Will or MIke, because you can play him behind the DT's, and it is going to be hard to get a blocker to him. He would be free to run to the ball, and not have to take on blocks. Most defenses call this the designated "hitman". He is the guy the D is designed to make most of the tackles. You can do it with the WILL, some with the MIKE. You can scheme things either way, but whichever way they decide, that is the position Murray will play. My preference is Mike, because then he can get used to reading from the middle of the formation, but whatever.

As far as the other plays go, once they decide what Murray does, the rest of them will get moved around to get the best groups together situationally. If White ever can get his play back to where he was at as a rookie, they can play him at WIll. Will is probably Tranquill's best spot too, but he played like a 34 ILB in college, so he can play either Mike or Will. Nwosu is still in the mix as the SAM (he was still getting snaps even after Kyzir started there). Egbule has some potential to be used at any of the LB spots, although I think they probably see him as more of a SAM. Whoever plays SAM will also spend some of their reps at LEO, since they are mirror image positions (LEO is actually the rush LB, OTTO/SAM is the drop LB, since our D is actually based on a 34 alignment).

As far as when Murray will play in the nickel and dime defenses, it will all depend on when he gets up to speed on coverage. Unless he is dreadful, I would expect him to start in that package from day1. They didn't trade up for him for nothing. Once they teach him to footwork and the reads, then it is just a matter of drilling it over and over again, and rookie LB pick it up all the time. It is really the only hole in his game, so he can really focus on that. Plus the other things really come natural to a LB. Asking a LB to blitz, and chase RB down is like turning a lion loose to hunt. The brains are wired the right way, they just need a little work on tactics, then nature does the rest. Maybe a bit more time to learn the playbook, depending on how much TC gets missed, what with no OTA's and minicamps.
          OK some of this makes sense to me.
          Put Murray at MIKE and then sort out the others around that. Murray has leadership, athleticism and preparation.

The reason to put him at SAM/OTTO is that someone has to cover TEs. I saw incredible backside pursuit from Murray too.

He would not come off the field for my defense. NLB. Day one.

I like WILL for Murray because Hitman is a perfect role...not a lot of processing required. But with they way he likes to prep and lead, maybe it is MIKE.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

He can play OTTO, but why would you? The SAM LB is about playing off the TE. It is NOT a playmaking position. Yes. Yes. My qualifier was that Murray could play OTTO (which I blur with SAM.)

They are much more likely to put him at Will or MIke, because you can play him behind the DT's, and it is going to be hard to get a blocker to him. He would be free to run to the ball, and not have to take on blocks. Most defenses call this the designated "hitman". He is the guy the D is designed to make most of the tackles. You can do it with the WILL, some with the MIKE. You can scheme things either way, but whichever way they decide, that is the position Murray will play. My preference is Mike, because then he can get used to reading from the middle of the formation, but whatever. Yes. Yes. Matchups. Positionless defensive football. What's in a name.

As far as the other plays go, once they decide what Murray does, the rest of them will get moved around to get the best groups together situationally. If White ever can get his play back to where he was at as a rookie, they can play him at WIll. Will is probably Tranquill's best spot too, but he played like a 34 ILB in college, so he can play either Mike or Will. Nwosu is still in the mix as the SAM (he was still getting snaps even after Kyzir started there). Yes. Yes. I remember seeing Nwosu go all the way over to the sideline to make a play in coverage. Hell, he looked like Kuechle ! Egbule has some potential to be used at any of the LB spots, although I think they probably see him as more of a SAM. I know you've touted Egbule. I would like to see him come on. Good athleticism. Whoever plays SAM will also spend some of their reps at LEO, since they are mirror image positions (LEO is actually the rush LB, OTTO/SAM is the drop LB, since our D is actually based on a 34 alignment).

As far as when Murray will play in the nickel and dime defenses, it will all depend on when he gets up to speed on coverage. Unless he is dreadful, I would expect him to start in that package from day1. They didn't trade up for him for nothing. Once they teach him to footwork and the reads, then it is just a matter of drilling it over and over again, and rookie LB pick it up all the time. It is really the only hole in his game, so he can really focus on that. Plus the other things really come natural to a LB. Asking a LB to blitz, and chase RB down is like turning a lion loose to hunt. The brains are wired the right way, they just need a little work on tactics, then nature does the rest. Maybe a bit more time to learn the playbook, depending on how much TC gets missed, what with no OTA's and minicamps. Agreed ! Does this mean I am getting smarter ?
            Bullet points in a slightly darker shade of PB...

Comment

• Antonio’s Gates
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2020
              • Send PM

No one is going to trade for Perryman. Anyone who looks at our roster and draft picks can see that he is a possible cap casualty, so a little patience might get you what you want without trading anything. If they let him clear waivers, then they might even get him cheaper than we did.
              Or the chargers just keep him because the cap savings would be minimal and depth is always a good thing. A trade is more likely than a release imo.

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
                Day One...
                • Mar 2019
                • Brentwood, 94513
                • Send PM

Are we really going to carry 3 qb'? I tend to think not, give another spot that extra player. The battle for the few spots on this team with benefit us. Bigger, faster, stronger...

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts4ever213 View Post
                  Are we really going to carry 3 qb'? I tend to think not, give another spot that extra player. The battle for the few spots on this team with benefit us. Bigger, faster, stronger...
                  Im sure we do
                  Stick sticks
                  Herbert is a rookie
                  Taylor is a vegan
                  P1. Block Destruction
                  P2. Shocking Effort
                  P3. Ball Disruption
                  P4. Obnoxious Communication

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

Steve is ruining my understand of this defense when he talks about a 34
                    Haha in a good challenging way of course, props.

from what I think I know, SAM and OTTO is the same role in our defense. The bigger LB able to hang with TEs, beat blocks and be physical damn near the LOS.
                    this is why we drafted Egbule right?
                    I think Jefferson might fit too.

Leo (MI) is the "defensive end" typically at 9 tasked to rush the passer 90% of the time. The position is purposefully dumbed down so they can concentrate on excellong at rushing the passer.

If thats accurate, I think Uchena is Mel's primary backup. Which is a good thing because I think hes our best passrusher of all the LBs mentioned.
                    Btw, anyone else a true chellenger for this role post Ingram?

Murray to me definitely looks like the Mike due to intangibles and sideline2sideline speed. Plus tackling needs to be refined because I dont want my WILL hitting so high. I like White at the WILL because he looks very proficient at tackling and sometimes it looks like those balls are coming loose.
                    Tranquil should also compete at WILL.

This is all base D
                    P1. Block Destruction
                    P2. Shocking Effort
                    P3. Ball Disruption
                    P4. Obnoxious Communication

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                      Steve is ruining my understand of this defense when he talks about a 34
                      Haha in a good challenging way of course, props.

from what I think I know, SAM and OTTO is the same role in our defense. The bigger LB able to hang with TEs, beat blocks and be physical damn near the LOS.
                      this is why we drafted Egbule right?
                      I think Jefferson might fit too.

Leo (MI) is the "defensive end" typically at 9 tasked to rush the passer 90% of the time. The position is purposefully dumbed down so they can concentrate on excellong at rushing the passer.

If thats accurate, I think Uchena is Mel's primary backup. Which is a good thing because I think hes our best passrusher of all the LBs mentioned.
                      Btw, anyone else a true chellenger for this role post Ingram?

Murray to me definitely looks like the Mike due to intangibles and sideline2sideline speed. Plus tackling needs to be refined because I dont want my WILL hitting so high. I like White at the WILL because he looks very proficient at tackling and sometimes it looks like those balls are coming loose.
                      Tranquil should also compete at WILL.

This is all base D
                      The Pete Carroll D that we use is the D that the SF49ers invented back in the 1980's making a hybrid 34/43. It uses 34 personnel, but lines them up in similar alignments to the 43, so that DL are in a better position to rush the QB than in the traditional 34 D (30 front).

Yes, OTTO is the SAM LB. A few minor very picky differences. Colleges will call the position the "drop LB" or the "drop DE" because this guy may be a 34 OLB, but tends to be more of a coverage guy than a pass rusher.

LEO is the Elefant LB/rush LB position. The idea is to have a smaller faster edge rusher coming off the open side (non-TE side) of the formation. And by LB I really mean DE.

I would say it is more about allowing the OLB/DE to specialize than to "dumb" it down. A lot of 34 OLB have trouble because back in the day, they used to ask them to read the offense and rush based on what the O was doing, and that was confusing at times. Then Wade decided that was stupid, called the rusher in the huddle or by audible, and overnight everyone switched to doing that.

Unless a player is really exceptional, anytime you ask them to do too many things, they end up doing none of them all that well. That is what makes guys like Derwin James so valuable, that they can do so much at a high level.

Nwosu plays both SAM/OTTO and LEO. I would be surprised if all of our OLB don't learn to play both spots. The roster is just not that big that you cannot afford to not cross train players. I wouldn't expect guys like White or Tranquill, who know how to play SAM, are probably not going to line up at LEO unless there is a real emergency. Egbule, Nwosu and Ingram can probably be used somewhat interchangeably. And by that I mean Egbule might know the assignments, but he still has to prove he is a good enough player at either spot.

A big part of why the Seattle Pete Carroll D is so popular right now is that Seattle has had such success using different types of players. The Seattle SB teams used guys that everyone else had given up as not being good fits for NFL Defenses, and some of them were rejected in both the 34 and 43. The LEO spot has been a revolving door of different players. Chris Clemons, Bennett, Avril, Clark, Bruce Irvin … I wouldn't necessarily say it is easy to find them, but a lot of different types of players can be used in the position and be successful. There are plenty of candidates out there.

Just note, this past year, there were not a lot of good edge rushers in the draft. Every team, even if they have 1 (or more) edge rusher(s) wants more.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

The fact he is being mentioned as a cut candidate is good news. It means there is a lot more competition at LB because the talent level as been raised considerably.

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                          The fact he is being mentioned as a cut candidate is good news. It means there is a lot more competition at LB because the talent level as been raised considerably.
                          This. Who knew it was needed?

Comment

Working...
                          X