• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

I really dont think its a widespread epidemic here. I think what i will do is make sure thread titles are clean. Im not going to censor words. I like to cuss on game days. Its almost traditional for me. lol

There is really only one word i find offensive and thats the C word. Obviously racial terms offend me. But i have never once seen anyone here cross that line. But racism is not tolerated here.

I have always considered this forum somewhat R rated. When we were busy....we were Magic Mountain.....and the CMB was Disneyland. Thats kind of how i wanted things to be. More of an adult club scene. Like a sports bar. Not chuckee cheese.

Comment

• ChargingBolts
      Superbowl?
      • Sep 2018
      • Los Angeles/Chicago
      • Send PM

I like the idea of if there is an algorithm you can put in for people that don't want to see it can click "PG" and the word can change to ####, and the people that don't care don't have to click anything, like the mute button on twitter, etc. you type into the algorithm certain four letter words to be replaced with #### and all should be happy

Im still waiting to see if my coder can make that. Hopefully ill have an answer soon.

Comment

• Budsman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

In my personal opinion, I prefer there to be no censorship. That being said if you are trying to market the place to the largest audience possible then you should put some limits on profanity as a business decision. Profanity can drive away segments of a population and thats just bad business, For instance allowing profanity will make you more popular with the 18-50 male demo but probably be a net negative to the female demo and kids under 18 may not be able to partake because their parents have software on their computer that blocks websites with profanity. If anyone listens to "The Lightning Round Podcast" One of their younger members Liam wouldn't be able to partake in awesome charger talk because of profanity, and neither will my 10 year old son (who im raising right, he has his LT Jersey next to PR Jersey and I've had to learn to clean up my outbursts at the TV during Certain poorly called games). Is that fair to Liam or my son? I dont know but I know its bad for business if you are looking to open up to the biggest possible audience. At the end of the day its your call because its your pad.

Heavy is head that wears the crown.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

I doubt people would leave if i censored a few words. I doubt new members will think censoring a few words is enough. And im not willing to completely go rated G. If i could create a plug in that allows filters to come on or off at the users choosing i would go that route.

I could make the censoring of profanity the default function here and then those who want to remove the filter can do so in their own settings. But that has to be created. And i dont know if that is even possible.

Then you have those where its just not enough. CMB censors profanity and also bans users for profanity anyways.

I care more about who we have now than i do.... who we dont have. I am loyal to the members who are here. And those who are here like things the way they are.

Do i want more members? We have many. I dont think its the profanity that keeps them from posting. I think its social media. Our guest numbers are big. Poeple are here reading. They are just not posting. Ill cross this bridge when i find out more about my options.

Comment

• Budsman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Really, how many people leave because they cant say profanity? My guess is zero and if there any who do its probably for the best because they couldn't control themselves anyway. Most people on here may not love it but they would understand it.

How many people do you lose by allowing it?

Comment

• charger1993
                Registered Charger Fan
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                Ive been told that the fact we allow cussing is a bad look for us. Ive never really thought about it. I have been banned on forums in the past for cussing. But im wondering if it keeps us from getting more members.

Is that something this community would prefer? I can go either way. Obviously i would never ban someone for using profanity. But i was just thinking about censoring out a few 4 letter words?

Or do you guys like that freedom? I have always cared more about actions than words. And i dont think im a heathen for using profanity in my posts. lol

Just trying to see where you guys stand on this subject? Ive seen a few users on other forums say they could never be a part of this community because we cuss.

I dont care about those who dont want to be here because of that....im just wondering if those of you who do call us home would prefer that.

Whatever i can do to make our existing community happy i will do.
                I like the freedom. I ahouldnt have to guess what a person was trying to say. Let pwople say what they say and be able to stand behind it if they want.

Comment

• Budsman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

I doubt people would leave if i censored a few words. I doubt new members will think censoring a few words is enough. And im not willing to completely go rated G. If i could create a plug in that allows filters to come on or off at the users choosing i would go that route.

I could make the censoring of profanity the default function here and then those who want to remove the filter can do so in their own settings. But that has to be created. And i dont know if that is even possible.

Then you have those where its just not enough. CMB censors profanity and also bans users for profanity anyways.

I care more about who we have now than i do.... who we dont have. I am loyal to the members who are here. And those who are here like things the way they are.

Do i want more members? We have many. I dont think its the profanity that keeps them from posting. I think its social media. Our guest numbers are big. Poeple are here reading. They are just not posting. Ill cross this bridge when i find out more about my options.
                  I think its a balance, like most things. You dont want to go overboard (It sounds like CMB did this, which is the corporate way of doing things and understandable for them) but you dont want to just allow profanity at will either as it can create a perceived negative atmosphere for some charger fans who cant or dont like profanity. In my opinion, I wouldn't allow it but I would also allow leeway on what I perceive as profanity. In other words ban it but dont ban people from finding ways to express themselves and only enforcing the letter of the law.

Again, its all your call and either way you go I'm sure you will have a healthy membership because being a chargers fan isnt easy and this is a great place for us to be a community, profanity or not.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• Fleet
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Cardiff - Poipu
                      • Send PM

I lose money on this site. lol This isnt business. This is a love affair. I love the regulars here like brothers. Everyone is here because we care about each other. Its like a frat house. We act like shit sometimes. Im not going to turn this place into something different for a few more users.

I believe the majority of my community likes things the way they are. Ill do what makes them happy. Ive seen a lot of guys at the CMB say they simply wont post on another forum because that was home to them.

I get that. I understand that. This place feels the same to me. I feel for those guys losing their home. They are more than welcome here. But they have to want to be here and accept that we are the way we are.

I believe guys are here because of our football iq. This is where you go for in depth football discussion imo. Its been that way for years. I am the football guy i am today because this community of Charger fans knows their shit. We taught each other. This isnt church. This is a locker room. This is the team clubhouse. This is the gridiron.

And on Sundays? We are at FUCKING WAR. And i use F Bombs like ammunition. I live and die with this team. Thats my energy. I wont stop bringing it.

If i can create a way to give new users the ability to click a profanity filter i will do it.

Comment

• Budsman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

I lose money on this site. lol This isnt business. This is a love affair. I love the regulars here like brothers. Everyone is here because we care about each other. Its like a frat house. We act like shit sometimes. Im not going to turn this place into something different for a few more users.

I believe the majority of my community likes things the way they are. Ill do what makes them happy. Ive seen a lot of guys at the CMB say they simply wont post on another forum because that was home to them.

I get that. I understand that. This place feels the same to me. I feel for those guys losing their home. They are more than welcome here. But they have to want to be here and accept that we are the way we are.

I believe guys are here because of our football iq. This is where you go for in depth football discussion imo. Its been that way for years. I am the football guy i am today because this community of Charger fans knows their shit. We taught each other. This isnt church. This is a locker room. This is the team clubhouse. This is the gridiron.

And on Sundays? We are at FUCKING WAR. And i use F Bombs like ammunition. I live and die with this team. Thats my energy. I wont stop bringing it.

If i can create a way to give new users the ability to click a profanity filter i will do it.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • SoDak
                          • Technology Director
                          • Send PM

I kind of like that people can swear here, if they want to?

I don't think I really swear much at all, here? I kind of try not to in online platforms. That doesn't mean that sometimes I don't let something slip.

In my personal life, I try to limit my swearing, but I'm at the point of the BB season (last couple weeks of regular season), where a few more drop than normally would.

Swearing doesn't bother me in the slightest, though. (You should hear my wife... she's way more proficient with the profanity than I am!)

I've been a member of many forums that have not allowed swearing (and I still am of a couple). It's fine. Doesn't bother me either way.

I think if there was an optional "filter" that could be turned on, for certain words... that would be an ideal situation. That way, if you don't want to see it, you don't have to.

"...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

Working...
                          X