X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Screeme View Post
    I have my first ever set setup for the 30th of this month.

It's a small venue... and will have some friendly faces

I am super nervous.

Any tips on refining material. Even though I test them out on people, I'm never really happy with my punchlines, so I'm always kind of tinkering. But I'm also afraid of editing my bits to death and squeezing all the fun/humor out of them.
    Just now saw this, sorry! How awesome!!!

As far as material goes, always put the funniest word, or part of it at the end of the sentence (otherwise you ruin the element of surprise: wrong example - "My wife is OCD, and I found out that you're a dick if you rearrange the letters in Obsessive Compulsive Disorder" - right example - "My wife has OCD. I found out that if you rearrange the letters in Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, you're a dick." and get rid of any superfluous wording. We do a lot of writers' workshops and that's one of the pieces of advice that helped me the most. The nerves are completely normal. I was a basket case my first time up, but after that, it got easier and easier with each time I went up.

Comment

• Screeme
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by alex View Post
      Pretty cool. What made you decide to do this? Besides being funny.
      It's kind of a long story. . I used to be into improv, and the things I was good at were somewhat unsatisfying. I*wanted*to be the guy who was really good at quick one liners and being really witty... but I just wasn't. The end result is that it was a really frustrating experience. With time I've come to realize that what i *was* good at is still vital to good team improv, but it just wasn't the things that made people laugh. But at the time i just felt angry with myself all the time, because i couldn't accept who I was as an improv actor.

So, life got in the way, and I had to give up improv, but Istill maintained that itch to do something funny. I am hoping that with a chance to plan and edit and think out material... so now Ican be the guy that makes people laugh, but with more self awareness so I can be myself and not try to be something I'm not.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

It's kind of a long story. . I used to be into improv, and the things I was good at were somewhat unsatisfying. I*wanted*to be the guy who was really good at quick one liners and being really witty... but I just wasn't. The end result is that it was a really frustrating experience. With time I've come to realize that what i *was* good at is still vital to good team improv, but it just wasn't the things that made people laugh. But at the time i just felt angry with myself all the time, because i couldn't accept who I was as an improv actor.

So, life got in the way, and I had to give up improv, but Istill maintained that itch to do something funny. I am hoping that with a chance to plan and edit and think out material... so now Ican be the guy that makes people laugh, but with more self awareness so I can be myself and not try to be something I'm not.
        Rad.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

First off, that is the best fucking answer to any question I've ever read on this board. That is some major insightful shit. Honest truth. Letting be what is. Awesome. Wow, I'm really impressed.
          I'm glad you have some people here that can help you out like Mister Hoarse and SC. Maybe others as well, not sure. Screeme, you rock. Beautiful fucking post, man.

Acceptance can be a bitch. It's good for us but it can be tough to come around to.
          For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Screeme
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Thanks Alex...

The honesty comes with ten years and 20/20 hindsight... Haha

SuperCharger- this might sound silly, but how do I determine the funny word. I look at my punchline, and I think it sounds funny, but then I pay attention to the words and think.. Which word is funnier.. Pumpkin or hooligans.. And i spend 30 minutes debating with myself..

Comment

Thanks Alex...

The honesty comes with ten years and 20/20 hindsight... Haha

SuperCharger- this might sound silly, but how do I determine the funny word. I look at my punchline, and I think it sounds funny, but then I pay attention to the words and think.. Which word is funnier.. Pumpkin or hooligans.. And i spend 30 minutes debating with myself..
              Believe it or not, the "science" of it actually says, if you have more than one word you're considering, go with the one that has a K (or hard C) sound. Those words are "funnier".

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharger View Post
                Believe it or not, the "science" of it actually says, if you have more than one word you're considering, go with the one that has a K (or hard C) sound. Those words are "funnier".

FUCK!

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                  No Sir, I Dont Like It
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Section 457
                  • Migrant Film Worker
                  • Send PM

Turd Ferguson. Funny name.
                  Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                  sigpic

Comment

• Screeme
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

It is done...

Exhale

It was a friendly crowd, to be sure, of friends of the other performers... But I think my set went really well.

I'll probably cringe at this in a year when I look back at the video, but for now I'm happy that people laughed and had a good time.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

It is done...

Exhale

It was a friendly crowd, to be sure, of friends of the other performers... But I think my set went really well.

I'll probably cringe at this in a year when I look back at the video, but for now I'm happy that people laughed and had a good time.
                      Congratulations!

Comment

It is done...

Exhale

Excellent. It gets easier with each time you go up. Here's a set I did for a charity show back in August.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Awesome, SC. You talk almost as fast as I do. And thankfully look just a bit more butch lesbian
                          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

Working...
                          X