• Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
    The Revenant - A thread

I'm researching a piece on 18th century First Americans and the Arikara chiefs, who grew the Arikara culture into a dual village so large, that Lewis & Clarke stopped and paid respects to the tribe at the mouth of the Grand River and Missouri Rivers in 1804. The Arikara chiefs had some strange ways. If a chief came back from an unsuccessful raid, the Arikara would vow to ''cast off his robes." Which is Arikara leader crazy-speak for he is going to kill the next stranger he meets.

Casting off of robes was likely the cause of the massacre of Ashely's Hundred on June 2,1823. The result was the indian attack depicted in the opening of the film 'The Revenant.' My thesis for the cause of the attack was the number of self-declared leaders in the Arikara tribe and the casting off of robes lead to the near extinction of an native American tribe.

There were TWO men mauled by actual grizzly bears on that 1823 furing expedition. One was Hugh Glass. Leo DiCaprio can tell you all about him. That was in South Dakota, at the Shadehill Reservoir. The other was Jedediah Smith. Smith had his scalp ripped off, his ear danggling and had to beg his close friend, James Clyman, to sew his scalp and ear back on. This is the price of discovery of South Pass. Yes, it had been discovered before but the Civil War interrupted the significance of the prior discovery.

The ferociousness of the grizzlies was even noted in the diaries of Lewis & Clark - of putting .50 balls fired from Kentucky long-rifles - into the brain pans of grizzly bears, and yet the bear kept coming. Lewis is quoted as saying that 'curiosity' among all the men concerning the grizzly bear were all well satisfied.

The true story of Hugh Glass is so much better than the movie and about 30% of what happened in the film is true. John Fitzgerald (Tom Hardy) went on to become one of the owners of the Rocky Mountain Fur Company after buying out William Henry Ashley. Nobody killed anybody and everyone prospered but those 13 - two whose names have been lost to history - who were ambushed under a flag of parley, on a sandbar at the mouth of the Grand River, before dawn on the morning of June 2, 1823.

That afternoon, Jedediah Smith lead the first memorial service ever recorded in Dakota Territory, over the two fresh graves. Among the bereaved were Fitzgerald, Ashley, Hugh Glass, James Clyman, & Jim Bridger. Hugh Glass wrote a letter to John S. Gardner’s parents:

Dated June 2, 1823

Author - Hugh Glass

I moved to St Joseph Mo north of KC and a huge western expansion city with a grand history starting with reapers like Joseph Rubideaux on the North Western Missouri River. Also the starting point of the Pony Express. In case this helps any research. Let me know if I can help you dig up any local history.
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

I'm watching the final season of Attack on Titan part 2.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Hadl2Alworth View Post
        Watching Dexter: New Blood.

Also watching Yellowjackets

Both on Showtime
        My highest recommendation for Yellowjackets
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• RobH
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Tokyo, Japan
          • University English Lecturer
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

My highest recommendation for Yellowjackets
          I haven’t seen it yet, but Yellowjackets sounds like a remake of Lord of the Flies.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by RobH View Post

I haven’t seen it yet, but Yellowjackets sounds like a remake of Lord of the Flies.
            Not yet it isn’t. Maybe next year. But it’s must watch TV.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• RobH
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Tokyo, Japan
              • Send PM

Well I guess I’ll just have to have a peek.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Originally posted by RobH View Post
                Well I guess I’ll just have to have a peek.
                Please leave a review. The little blonde girl looks like a future star to me.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

If you haven’t seen it, Euphoria is the most jaw dropping show on TV. Sex and drugs and well, more sex and more drugs.

Megan Fox Gets In on the Viral ‘Euphoria High’ Trend–and She Definitely Looks the Part

MOVE OVER, CASSIE

The actress hilariously imagines herself as the new AP Lit teacher on “Euphoria” in her latest Instagram post.

Jordan Julian

Updated Jan. 28, 2022 2:49PM ET Published Jan. 28, 2022 2:47PM ET

Angela Weiss/Getty Images

Megan Fox just submitted her unofficial audition for Euphoria, and honestly, she would probably kill it as a punk rock groupie turned guidance counselor who inappropriately insists you call her by her first name. OK, so maybe that’s slightly wishful thinking, but Fox did riff on a popular social media trend that pokes fun at the outrageous costumes on the salacious HBO teen drama.

In a recent Instagram post,husband-to-be, Machine Gun Kelly). She cleverly captioned the post, “If I were the AP Literature teacher at Euphoria High.” Her neon orange eyeshadow is also a nod to the show, which is known for its over-the-top beauty looks, often involving glitter and meticulously placed rhinestones.

Fox’s post is the latest contribution to the “Euphoria High” social media trend highlighting the absurdity of the costumes and, more broadly, the complete lack of adult supervision in the world of Euphoria. The trend started on TikTok, with videos mostly following the same format: A TikTok user starts off wearing what would be considered a fairly normal outfit for a high schooler with the caption, “First day at Euphoria High.” An audio clip from SpongeBob SquarePants then cuts in, asking, “And why aren’t you in uniform?” prompting the user to change into a nightclub-ready outfit. In one example, a TikToker also trades her backpack for a Ziploc bag filled with orange pill bottles.
                  The videos all playfully make fun of the seemingly nonexistent dress code in the world of Euphoria; in their sparkling, skin-tight outfits, the teenage characters on the show often look like they’d fit in better at a rave than a high school cafeteria. It’s all crop tops, cutouts, and pieces that look like they could have been plucked straight from Mariah Carey’s closet in 2002, especially when it comes to the wardrobes of queen bees Maddy (Alexa Demie) and Cassie (Sydney Sweeney). Whatever southern California town the show takes place in must be completely cleaned out of micro-mini skirts and low-rise pants.

So while the world may never see Maddy or Cassie wearing a baggy sweatshirt, it’s not as farfetched to imagine Euphoria showrunner Sam Levinson casting Fox as the first teacher to ever be hired at East Highland High School. Based on her Instagram post, she’s ready for the role.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Euphoria follows a group of high school students as they navigate love and friendships in a world of drugs, sex, trauma, and social media.” That is how HBO Max describes it. I would add this: It is a gut-wrenching and disturbing look into some of today’s teenagers exploding with emotions, oversized reactions, and rage fueled by addiction, endless self-awareness, and relentless self-reflection. Oversexed and overstimulated, they swing from ecstasy to existential crises moment to moment. A one-word text can move them to tears.

I love every minute of it. I am totally engrossed in the show, even though I’m not the intended audience. Why do I choose to watch a TV show whose target demographic is decades younger, and ignore the one that’s meant for me? As a Gen X girl, I am mesmerized by Euphoria’s Gen Z drama. The characters’ behavior is so outrageous and emotional. These high school kids feel everything. And when I watch it, I do too—shock, envy, sympathy, empathy, disgust, hope, disbelief and understanding. I might even call it a sense of camaraderie. Despite the fact that no character reminds me of any friend I have ever known, and that in no way whatsoever did high school students visibly carry on like that in the ’80s, I find myself shaking my head knowingly. I get those girls’ emotions—.we just couldn’t show them back then. Talking about mental health struggles was hush hush. Questioning our identities out loud, waltzing through the hallways announcing we were back from rehab, having same-sex relationships, acknowledging we were sad or scared. We had those feelings! Society just didn’t allow them to be visible the way they are now.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Send PM

Anyone else watching 1883? Just saw the sixth show (season one) and it was sublime. It's blowing me away.

Comment

• RobH
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Tokyo, Japan
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Hadl2Alworth View Post
                        Anyone else watching 1883? Just saw the sixth show (season one) and it was sublime. It's blowing me away.
                        Yeah. I like it a lot. I’m curious to see where it’s headed.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Almost finished with season 2 of Ozark
                          11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
                          35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                          37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                          66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                          69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                          100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                          110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                          140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                          181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                          225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

Working...
                          X