• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KarlC
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

What are you reading?

Ok, I'm a book nerd. An omnivorous book nerd. I LOVE books. Mostly fiction, but I once was so bored I read a college textbook on Social Structure in Middle Ages Europe.

What are you reading right now?

I was going to read the newest J.D. Robb "In Death" book, but I found out I missed one that had been released in between, so I need to track that one down.

Otherwise, I'm re-reading Stephen King's Tommyknockers (about the 5th time).

SD guy in OZ
  • Mister Hoarse
    No Sir, I Dont Like It
    • Jun 2013
    • Section 457
    • Migrant Film Worker
    • Send PM

King is one of the alltime greats. My favorite is The Stand.
    Just started a new Dennis Lehane, sequel to Live By Night which was terrific.
    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
    sigpic

Comment

Re-reading "To Kill a Mockingbird". Haven't read it since my school days. It's way more entertaining as an adult.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
        No Sir, I Dont Like It
        • Jun 2013
        • Section 457
        • Migrant Film Worker
        • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharger View Post
        Re-reading "To Kill a Mockingbird". Haven't read it since my school days. It's way more entertaining as an adult.
        I hear she's been working on a sequel for 50 years.
        Great first book. Must be tough to follow up.
        sigpic

Comment

• sandiego17
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
          I hear she's been working on a sequel for 50 years.
          Great first book. Must be tough to follow up.
          That's funny. I don't think I will read Go Set a Watchman anytime soon.

I'm ADD with reading, multiple books/formats going on.

Fiction Book Form - The Brothers Karamazov (need a replacement soon, started Name of the Rose at the same time, will probably go back to that)
          Non-Fiction - The Miracle of Castel di Sangro (not loving it, but will finish it)
          Audible - The Buried Giant (also need a replacement in a couple days)

Comment

• Coachmarkos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • SoDak
            • Technology Director
            • Send PM

I like to read, but I've gotten slower and slower in my old age.

I just finished (last night) the First Jack Reacher book. It was ok. Not hard to read, but it was longer than I expected.

Going to Start "Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism" tonight.

I've also got the first Game of Thrones book on my kindle, but I'm hesitant to start it because it's so long.

I used to be a fiction guy. Pretty much all fiction all the time.

But then I started reading Malcolm Gladwell and Chuck Klosterman books, and I've found myself reading more and more non Fiction.

Stephen King is my favorite however. I finished "Mr. Mercedes" a month or so ago, which I really enjoyed. I've read pretty much everything in his catalog at least once, and most of them twice.
            "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
              No Sir, I Dont Like It
              • Jun 2013
              • Section 457
              • Migrant Film Worker
              • Send PM

I used to be a voracious reader but failing eyesight has turned my focus on listening to music the past few years. I struggle to get through a few pages now, where I used to read a book every coulpe of days. Gotta roll with the punches and find what you love.
              sigpic

Comment

• UtahBolt
                Did we win?
                • Jun 2013
                • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
                • Send PM

Just starting "The Heart of Everything That Is, The Untold Story of Red Cloud". Western history is fascinating to me...

Also reading the Rob Bell books about spirituality/Christianity on the side. A lighter and fresh take on all that God stuff.
                I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• KarlC
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

King is one of the alltime greats. My favorite is The Stand.
                  Just started a new Dennis Lehane, sequel to Live By Night which was terrific.
                  I started King back in 1988 with a copy of Night Shift a friend gave me, then another friend saw that book and turned me on to It. After that, it was all downhill.

It and The Stand are my two favorites. The Dark Tower series takes the cake for epic length, but I still love those other 2 more.

Wow, a lot of non-fiction readers here. I haven't read too much of that lately. The last ones I can remember were Pity the Billionaire by Thomas Frank, and Twilight of the Elites by Chris Hayes.

It's not a book, e-book, or audiobook, but there is an online video series that is very much like a non-fiction book that I saw last year I really like. It's called Everything is a Remix by Kirby Ferguson . He talks about ideas and archetypes and how we are just mining the past when we come up with something we call "new". Anyone interested click here. The dude is really frakking smart and intuitive.

SD guy in OZ

Comment

• sandiego17
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I used to be a voracious reader but failing eyesight has turned my focus on listening to music the past few years. I struggle to get through a few pages now, where I used to read a book every coulpe of days. Gotta roll with the punches and find what you love.
                    Audible!

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • SoDak
                      • Technology Director
                      • Send PM

Just started the first "Game of Thrones" book. It's pretty good. I've never been much of a "fantasy" reader (that genre in specific, dragons and swords and magic, and the like).

aa583428-cf33-4b69-b404-a74d481643b9.jpg

From what I remember of the first season of the television series... It's staying pretty close so far. (of course, I'm only 4% in!)
                      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• sandiego17
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
                        Just started the first "Game of Thrones" book. It's pretty good. I've never been much of a "fantasy" reader (that genre in specific, dragons and swords and magic, and the like).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]657[/ATTACH]

From what I remember of the first season of the television series... It's staying pretty close so far. (of course, I'm only 4% in!)
                        I read the first book and then stopped. I enjoyed the book, but I need to be sure Martin isn't going to commit the time to finish the series before considering the rest. I thought the first book was very good, but I don't mind swords, horses, dragons, vampires, etc.

Comment

Working...
                        X