• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
    So, why a green VW Beetle? The only one I can think that was significant was in Bullitt.
    In his 1998 book The Big Lebowski: The Making Of A Coen Brothers Film, William Preston Robertson identified a few important motifs in the films of brothers Joel and Ethan Coen, including “howling fat men,” “blustery titans,” “peculiar haircuts,” and “lost hats.” But there may be at least one major theme Robertson…

Is the man at the bar(s) death?
    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post

Is the man at the bar(s) death?
      He might be, but the character name "Paul Marrane" is associated with the "Wandering Jew" mythology, that an immortal man wanders the Earth awaiting either the first or second coming of the Messiah, depending on the viewpoint of who ever is telling the story. If he was strictly Death, it wouldn't seem that he would be talking as a friendly stranger to Gloria on the plane or saving her trouble from that scumbag cop, but then again, Gloria can't be seen by motion detectors... hmmm. Right now, he seems to be the Deux Ex Machina of season 3.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

He might be, but the character name "Paul Marrane" is associated with the "Wandering Jew" mythology, that an immortal man wanders the Earth awaiting either the first or second coming of the Messiah, depending on the viewpoint of who ever is telling the story. If he was strictly Death, it wouldn't seem that he would be talking as a friendly stranger to Gloria on the plane or saving her trouble from that scumbag cop, but then again, Gloria can't be seen by motion detectors... hmmm. Right now, he seems to be the Deux Ex Machina of season 3.
        Do remember if the green car scene was black and white except for the car?
        Last edited by oneinchpunch; 06-10-2017, 03:46 PM.
        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Bolt-O commented
          Editing a comment
          I reviewed the scene when they came over the mound and then got into the car. The only one that was a 'primary' color was the VW, the others were either silver or brownish.
      • oneinchpunch
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Bad news for Fargo fans:

Fargo is currently barreling toward its third-season finale on FX, throwing together its now-expected blend of violence, money, and desperate, morally flexible people. Fans of the series might want to be sure to tune into that June 21 finale, though, because there might not be all that much Fargo left to see.
        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Bolt-O commented
          Editing a comment
          I think the way the series is set up as an anthology will help, if there is a long hiatus. I'd wish that the show was more popular if just to recoup production costs, as it appears to be an expensive show to produce...even in Calgary. You asked earlier if the show was near jumping the shark... which is why they have to be careful not to tick off fans.
      • oneinchpunch
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I just rewatched the episode. Almost all the episode is muted other than red. Only the green VW, and their coats stand out.
        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I just rewatched the episode. Almost all the episode is muted other than red. Only the green VW, and their coats stand out.
          Yeah, I noticed that as well, very washed out. The style is so much different than Better Call Saul, with the desert vistas that are vibrant.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I had to go back and watch, I didn't remember him saying his name. I always have to remind myself that names are important.

And Helga looks like she wants some afterlife payback.
            Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Bolt-O
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Spoiler following
              SPOILERThe sit-down between Varga and Nikki was awesome. I don't think Nikki really wants the $2M though. Wrench walking through the lobby following Nikki was boss.
              I just know that the widow Goldfarb is in with Varga.

I liked this 9th episode, but it does seem to be setting up for something big in the final (but not the one clued in the preview). I wonder if there will be someone in the back of Gloria's police car getting lectured on pinheadery... and I'm hoping it isn't Nikki. I can see Gloria and Nikki sharing a coconut cream pie though in Lou Solverson's diner.
              Last edited by Bolt-O; 06-15-2017, 09:27 AM.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Spoiler following
                SPOILERThe sit-down between Varga and Nikki was awesome. I don't think Nikki really wants the $2M though. Wrench walking through the lobby following Nikki was boss.
                I just know that the widow Goldfarb is in with Varga.

I liked this 9th episode, but it does seem to be setting up for something big in the final (but clued in the preview). I wonder if there will be someone in the back of Gloria's police car getting lectured on pinheadery... and I'm hoping it isn't Nikki. I can see Gloria and Nikki sharing a coconut cream pie though in Lou Solverson's diner.
                I thought the Wrench walk wasn't something he'd realistically do.

There is a scene in the trailer before the season began that was pretty over the top that hasn't happened yet. I'm left wondering who it is. I'm thinking Meemo

Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

I think I might watch tonight's episode
                  Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Bolt-O
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Damn. They can't tie it up in a bow. The best assassins don't waste time with small talk.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

There is a scene in the trailer before the season began that was pretty over the top that hasn't happened yet. I'm left wondering who it is. I'm thinking Meemo
                      I was looking for that scene, which I assume was Gloria getting run off the road, but it didn't happen.

Comment

Working...
                      X