• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikec
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
    There's a really good recipe for Bo ssam that David Chang of Momofuku claim does that's just in the oven, but pretty damn tasty and easy.
    Yep. That's the one I've used. And it really is incredible out of the oven, but one drawback is that it doesn't re-heat very well.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by mikec View Post
      Yep. That's the one I've used. And it really is incredible out of the oven, but one drawback is that it doesn't re-heat very well.
      Ahh. Yeah, I had seen the recipe and was looking for a chance to try it out. What's the story on the re-heating issue?

Where'd your hawaiian-style marinade come from? Did you just decide to try it with the Bo seam?

Comment

• mikec
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Ahh. Yeah, I had seen the recipe and was looking for a chance to try it out. What's the story on the re-heating issue?
        Not sure. It was really incredible out of the oven. Unfortunately, I made it the day ahead for a party (Superbowl party, FWIW), and when I reheated it the next day, it was just, well, weird. Nothing at all like it was out of the oven.

Where'd your hawaiian-style marinade come from? Did you just decide to try it with the Bo seam?
        I got it (in rough verbal form which I tweaked) from a local food truck, New York on Rye, but they just smoke it without putting any rub on it. I like a bit of "bark" on my pork, and remembered doing the Bo ssam rub, and thought they'd work well together. And they did.

Next up on my plate of things to try to smoke: Porchetta: Pork Belly wrapped around pork loin.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

That sounds like pork on pork crime! Good luck with it. Post pics if you think about it

Comment

• sandiego17
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

There's a really good recipe for Bo ssam that David Chang of Momofuku fame does that's just in the oven, but pretty damn tasty and easy.
            A friend forwarded me that from the NYT a couple years ago, never tried it. Have you? If so, with a 10lb pork shoulder or did you use a smaller piece?

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I havent. Its just kind of been in my back pocket. Been thinking about trying it this weekend.

I'm sure you can work with smaller cuts as long as you alter the cooking time and the ingredients accordingly

Comment

• sandiego17
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

That's the question I've had, how much to alter the cooking time. I don't think it would be altered proportionally. Will have to just watch and test I suppose.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                  No Sir, I Dont Like It
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Section 457
                  • Migrant Film Worker
                  • Send PM

Time to post this pork on pork pics
                  Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                  sigpic

Comment

• mikec
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
                    A friend forwarded me that from the NYT a couple years ago, never tried it. Have you? If so, with a 10lb pork shoulder or did you use a smaller piece?
                    That's the recipe I used. The time I did it, it was with a standard Costco double-pork shoulder bag, so each was ~8-9 lbs, about 16-18 lbs total. The time was pretty generic, something like 6 hours at 220F, pull it out, add some sugar to the outside, then ~30 minutes at a higher temp (until it the sugar starts bubbling), so I'd imagine you don't have to be real precise on the 6 hours part.

Comment

• mikec
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

That sounds like pork on pork crime! Good luck with it. Post pics if you think about it
                      Crap. I just found out the local market I'd been getting my porchetta from (Arricia in La Jolla) just closed... I guess that makes my quest even more critical.

Comment

• sandiego17
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by mikec View Post
                        That's the recipe I used. The time I did it, it was with a standard Costco double-pork shoulder bag, so each was ~8-9 lbs, about 16-18 lbs total. The time was pretty generic, something like 6 hours at 220F, pull it out, add some sugar to the outside, then ~30 minutes at a higher temp (until it the sugar starts bubbling), so I'd imagine you don't have to be real precise on the 6 hours part.
                        Finally made it, really simple and really good. Loved the sauces. I used one ~9lb pork shoulder, 300 for 6 hours, 1 hour rest and 15-20 mins at 500.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
                          Finally made it, really simple and really good. Loved the sauces. I used one ~9lb pork shoulder, 300 for 6 hours, 1 hour rest and 15-20 mins at 500.
                          Do you guys ever try longer cook times at a lower temp. Most BBQ competitions I work on go for 12-14 hours.
                          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

Working...
                          X