• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Official BBQ/Grilling Thread

I know a lot of you are into grilling out and I thought this might be a place where we could discuss good grub, grilling techniques and share...**manly**...recipes.

To kick things off, I am wondering if any of you have a Green Egg? If so, what do you think about it? What's it best for? Pros/cons? I've been thinking about making the investment because I've heard some people rave about them. But I don't really have any experience. I currently run a straight up gas grill and I have a Weber bullet smoker. I have really started smoking a lot of my own meats and really enjoy it, but am not sure the heavy dollar upgrade gets me anywhere.

I got a new gas grill for Father's Day and I've been grilling everything. I really want to get a Green Egg as well, but don't know anyone that has one. A good friend of mine
    has a Hastybake, and that thing kicks some serious ass.

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

My BBQ lights up like a fucking bonfire everytime use it. I need a new one.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

We moved and my wife bought me a gas grill. My first gas grill. I've used it once and hated it I need to figure out smoke boxes now for gas grills.

Can't blame her for trying she just thought since ga was so easy to use and fast I'd like it more
        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I bought a smoke box for one of my friends to use on his gas grill but I dont think it works. The wood never gets any contact with the flame and not much smoke comes out. Perhaps he's using it wrong but the instructions that came with it were pretty minimal and he's followed those to a T.

I do know that a lot of people just use an aluminum pan with water and put the wood chips in there. That seems to get more going than the little smoke box.

Gas is ok if you're just doing the basics or wanna heat up quick after you get home on a weeknight or whatever. The aforementioned buddy has a dual setup with a gas grill and a charcoal cooker side-by-side. I end up cooking on it quite a bit and it's pretty sweet. In particular, I like how you can raise and lower the proximity of the grill to the flame which allows you to modulate your temp and to get more out of your coals as they burn down. There are versions of that which have an offset smoker box that attaches to the charcoal side, which I would get if I were to go that route.
          Last edited by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR; 07-18-2013, 10:31 AM.

Comment

• mikec
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Gas Grill + Smoker box is definitely less than ideal. I used that for about 4-5 years, but the results were always uneven. I found I had to use strongly flavored wood (like Oak or Hickory) to get any smoke flavor and the smoke ring was always disappointing. Finally got a cheap bullet-smoker with an electric element because I'm lazy and like to sleep... Throw stuff on the smoker at around 10PM, pull it off the next morning. Now I pretty much only use Pecan, Apple or Cherry chunks for turkey, pork ribs or pulled pork and that is a much mellower flavor (realized that I'm not a fan of Hickory or Oak except for Beef, which I rarely do anyway).

And dry-brining, if you don't do that, look it up. It's how I've been doing Thanksgiving Turkey for the last five or six years, and it comes out moister and less rubbery than regular brining does (regardless of how you prepare the Turkey).

And for a shipping treat, order some smoked peppered beef tenderloin from New Braunsfeld Smokehouse (it's in your neighborhood BKR). That is some unfreaking believable stuff.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Think you mean New Braunfels Smokehouse. Yeah, it's the goods.

For more than 78 years New Braunfels Smokehouse has been the place for smoked beef jerky, turkey jerky, spiral-sliced ham, peppered smoke turkey, smoked sausage and much more!

Actually, if you're into that sort of thing, I would recommend this place. Their sausages and jerky are awesome. Probably going to drive over there this weekend. Kind of want to try their steaks or chops.

Family isn’t just a noun in Texas. It’s also an adjective! Prasek's Family Smokehouse is the place for Texas BBQ.

I use Post Oak on my brisket and get very good results. Have used it on pork ribs and dont find it too harsh, but havent yet experimented with apple or cherry. They're on my to do list though.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

7 lb brisket going on the smoker today. Salt and pepper and that's it. Perhaps photos later.

Comment

• mikec
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Just did a recipe that was a fusion of Hawaiian Luau pork + Bo ssam that got rave reviews from my foodie friends:

Get a double pork-shoulder package (Got mine at Costco, ~18 lbs - two 9lb shoulders for about $25)

Marinade:
                  6oz pineapple juice
                  1/2 cup soy
                  2 tblsp fresh minced ginger
                  2 tblsp fresh minced garlic
                  2 tblsp fresh chopped green onion (about 4)
                  2 tblsp fresh chopped cilantro
                  1 tsp sesame oil

Combine + let sit for about 30 minutes
                  Inject the pork with the marinade (about 6-10 injections per shoulder) - strain if necessary to inject.
                  Place in marinade bag and put the rest of the marinade in the bag with no air and let sit for 4 hours or overnight, turning once or twice.

The Bo ssam rub:

1/4 cup sugar
                  1/4 cup salt

Take the shoulders out of the bag, pat them dry, rub the Bo ssam rub onto them and let sit for an hour or two (this lets them get to room temp also).
                  Smoke with a mix of Pecan/Apple/Cherry wood until meat reaches 150F (this took about 16 hours on my smoker, which runs about 195F).
                  Let sit for about a half hour, then shred it.

Mix another batch of marinade and mix it with the shredded pork and/or reserve some for people to put on as they wish.
                  Serve with Hawaiian Rolls (optional).

This actually freezes and reheats fairly nicely too, unlike straight Bo ssam, which has to be eaten hot out of the oven.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Sounds pretty good. Need to try that out What kind of smoker do you run?

Comment

• mikec
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                      Sounds pretty good. Need to try that out What kind of smoker do you run?
                      Just a cheap bullet smoker.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

There's a really good recipe for Bo ssam that David Chang of Momofuku fame does that's just in the oven, but pretty damn tasty and easy.
                        Last edited by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR; 10-28-2013, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X