• Show
Clear All
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
    PBT:

Doc Rivers knows he is close. Whatever happens in the final three games against the Thunder (and maybe beyond that)

Rivers knows that his Clippers team is a legitimate contender, one of the four best teams in the NBA, and a team just a couple of roster tweaks away from maybe being THE team to beat next year.

However, making those roster tweaks may not be that simple if Donald or Shelly Sterling still own the team.

While frankly it should have been this way for years, many NBA players now see the Clippers as a toxic organization in the wake of Sterling’s racist comments, one they will not go near until an ownership change. While the league is pushing to make that happen soon, it likely is not done by this summer.

Sean Deveney at the Sporting News did an excellent piece speaking to multiple agents about the Clippers and sending free agent players there.

“You have to appreciate all that the NBA has done in this situation, what Adam Silver and the other owners are trying to do,” one prominent agent said, requesting anonymity because of possible future interactions with the team. “They came down hard on the guy, as they should have.

“But I know I have players who just won’t go there now, not until Sterling is gone completely. If there is even a chance that you’re going to help that guy make even one dime, a lot of guys are not going to go play there. It is going to be something they will have to deal with when July comes around.”
    July 1 is the start of NBA free agency.

While Donald Sterling publicly apologized for his racist rant, while his wife Shelly has tried to distance herself from him and what was said, both of them are also gearing up for a legal fight. This is going to drag out and it’s hard to see how it’s resolved before free agency begins.

“I don’t think the whole thing winds up with Sterling back in charge, that is just hard to imagine,” another agent told SN.

“There’s the chance, though. There’s a chance you wind up working for Sterling. That’s the problem. And there is also a feeling like, ‘Hey, the league let this guy do his thing for 30 years and they’re only doing something about him now? Why would I go there?’”

It’s easy to say that now. It will be different once the money is on the table. A lot of people have rock solid principles until the money is on the table.

Unfortunately for him, this all falls on Rivers. Assuming he doesn’t quit (he might, but it’s unlikely if the sale is moving forward), Rivers will go into July with a plan, he will have Chris Paul and Blake Griffin (who can’t break their contracts) to help him recruit. It’s a great pitch: Come to a warm-weather team in a great city where you will get the chance to contend.

And when the response is “Sterling still owns the team” Rivers can do nothing but shrug.
    Thank you for re-posting 75% of the previous article. But nice to see that the other 25% includes a repudiation of a weak argument you tried to make last night.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • SoDak
      • Technology Director
      • Send PM

Heat are up 3 to 1.

Blazers fight off elimination to go to 3 to 1.
      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• oneinchpunch
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post

And all those guys who wrote off the Pacers in round one are scrambling to cover their butts. All of a sudden, they look good again. Sometimes teams struggle for whatever reason, but they never struggle as much as the "jump the gun" -itis that sportswriters need to have in the modern age.
        You were saying?
        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• PowderBlues
          The Godfather
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Horrible fucking calls. I'm not gonna say the refs cost the Clippers the game because they brought some if it on themselves but damn. Suspend the dumbasses who royally ducked up that it of bounds call.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Comment

• oneinchpunch
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

OKC. Wow.
            Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• sandiego17
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by PowderBlues View Post
              Horrible fucking calls. I'm not gonna say the refs cost the Clippers the game because they brought some if it on themselves but damn. Suspend the dumbasses who royally ducked up that it of bounds call.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
              How the F did it even come down to that? What the hell just happened?

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Doc Rivers crying like a baby is the best
                Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Poor conclusion. I'll leave it at that.
                  Last edited by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR; 05-13-2014, 10:09 PM.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Chris Paul press conference is about as good as it gets
                    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Chris Paul press conference is about as good as it gets
                      No, a season of you being pathetic is.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Big game 4 for the Clips, until they managed to fail again.

I remember the Lakers coming back from 15 down vs the Blazers. This might've been bigger
                        Last edited by oneinchpunch; 05-14-2014, 07:08 AM.
                        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Big game 4 for the Clips, until they'd manse RBs aw ion. To fall atag
                          Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.

Comment

Working...
                          X