• Show
Clear All
  • floydefisher
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • siberiacuse, ny
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
    I think they are tanking for sure, and maybe they will get their new hero in the draft.
    I don't know about that, but it's obvious the whole thing was a mess since Dr Buss died, and a revamping was long overdue.

The camel that broke the straws back was finding out she could have had Cousins for pennies on the dollar, and they refused to pull the trigger...wtf?

At any rate, Magic is definitely going to have to live up to his nickname if the Lakers are going to right the ship anytime soon.
    sigpic

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Jeanie is now officially fully in charge. The siblings settled out of court, removing Jim as a co-trustee from the trust controlling the Lakers, and putting in younger sister Janie in his place. Unlike other teams that are in that market, the Lakers at least have earned patience from their fans as they get out of the hole.

Comment

• floydefisher
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • siberiacuse, ny
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
        Jeanie is now officially fully in charge. The siblings settled out of court, removing Jim as a co-trustee from the trust controlling the Lakers, and putting in younger sister Janie in his place. Unlike other teams that are in that market, the Lakers at least have earned patience from their fans as they get out of the hole.
        I'm still trying to figure out how they won all those recent championships...hasn't Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchack been in their current positions since the 1990's?

Did they suddenly get stupid or something?
        sigpic

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by floydefisher View Post
          I'm still trying to figure out how they won all those recent championships...hasn't Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchack been in their current positions since the 1990's?

Did they suddenly get stupid or something?
          I think the Lakers are not as big of a magnet for free agent talent as they used to. NBA players are in more control of their futures as before, and are now willing to cross over to 'rivals' to play with their buds to get to their goals. The Lakers can't just throw money out there now, they have to build a winning product somehow organically. Even at the top of the draft, the players there are one-and-done guys with great potential who don't have a lot of playing experience, and are possible big busts. Its hard to say that those guys got stupid, but they certainly haven't done well lately in getting beyond the Kobe era.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

If the former commissioner doesn't nix the CP3 deal, none of this happens the way it did. There'd be no tanking to try to keep the Nash pick right now. Maybe they would have still gone after the Dwightmare, but they wouldn't have had to. They got rid of Bynum at the right time thankfully. And they certainly wouldn't have had to pay other scrubs and washed-ups like Boozer, Hibbert, Mozgov/Deng.
            I hope that stupid win today doesn't f things up too much, but I still think the future looks bright, maybe even without a star coming here.
            And thank God they didn't trade for Boogie!

Comment

• Coachmarkos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • SoDak
              • Technology Director
              • Send PM

Last night, they sat D'Angelo, put Ingram on a minutes restriction, and still blew out the Spurs in San Antonio. Can't even tank correctly!

Hopefully they get a top 3 pick in the lottery. If they lose it... it's going to hurt.
              "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
                Last night, they sat D'Angelo, put Ingram on a minutes restriction, and still blew out the Spurs in San Antonio. Can't even tank correctly!

Hopefully they get a top 3 pick in the lottery. If they lose it... it's going to hurt.
                I was flabbbergasted by this.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Lively thread.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • SoDak
                    • Technology Director
                    • Send PM

To be honest, I tried to start a different thread for each season... but everyone by default, kept going back in this one.
                    "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• sandiego17
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Not much to talk about when you're only hoping to be bad enough to keep your draft pick.

Serious question to AFKABKR, better to ask it here then there I think and this may come across wrong, but did read your post about the Chargers and being unable to support them in LA because they abandoned SD, and I get it. But you're a Clipper fan. Not sure how that reconciles, both did the same thing, abandoned our hometown for LA. Just curious, was it simply time gone by? I don't hate LA the way a lot of San Diegans do, but I don't root for LA teams if SD has one and I don't like the Dodgers. If I had to pick an NHL team, it would be the Kings and if I had to pick an MLS team it would be the Galaxy, but I don't give a shit about hockey and I enjoy the EPL much MUCH more than MLS. Only way to get hooked on MLS would be for SD to get a team.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                        No Sir, I Dont Like It
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Section 457
                        • Migrant Film Worker
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
                        Not much to talk about when you're only hoping to be bad enough to keep your draft pick.

Serious question to AFKABKR, better to ask it here then there I think and this may come across wrong, but did read your post about the Chargers and being unable to support them in LA because they abandoned SD, and I get it. But you're a Clipper fan. Not sure how that reconciles, both did the same thing, abandoned our hometown for LA. Just curious, was it simply time gone by? I don't hate LA the way a lot of San Diegans do, but I don't root for LA teams if SD has one and I don't like the Dodgers. If I had to pick an NHL team, it would be the Kings and if I had to pick an MLS team it would be the Galaxy, but I don't give a shit about hockey and I enjoy the EPL much MUCH more than MLS. Only way to get hooked on MLS would be for SD to get a team.
                        I was wondering about this too. tbh.
                        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                        sigpic

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post

I was just :stirrings hit:

Besides, I was expecting some Clippers digs since it looks like this crew really won't seriously contend for a championship. Wonder who goes this offseason? Blake prob makes the most sense, but keeping an older Paul does over the short run but not long term. Either way, I think DJ stays. But no telling with our shitty GM.

Your question is a fair one and one I kind of expected. The Clippers moved when I was 16 and after only about 6 yrs in SD, so there wasn't as much equity built up with them and I didn't really have an alternative rooting interest at the time. I def haven't ever been as big of an NBA fan as NFL and MLB, so that's always been a factor. When SD gets a team, I'll obviously be in their corner. So it's kind of a different deal. I've stuck with them through many bad years and an a-hole owner so I've enjoyed the recent relative success. If it's the best they'll ever do, I sure as hell deserved it. LOL

Comment

Working...
                          X