Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Chargers ready to discuss new contract with Philip Rivers

Eric Williams
    COSTA MESA, Calif. -- Following one of his best seasons as a pro, which included reaching the AFC divisional round for the first time since the 2013 season, Los Angeles Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers said he wants to play for at least a handful of more years.

Entering the final year of his contract, Rivers said his representation has not talked with Chargers brass about a contract extension. On Thursday, however, general manager Tom Telesco said the Chargers want to begin conversations at some point this offseason about a new deal with the quarterback.

Rivers signed a four-year, $83.5 million extension before the 2015 season that includes a no-trade clause. Telesco said back then he wanted the veteran signal-caller to be a Charger for life. Telesco reiterated during his end-of-season news conference on Thursday that his thoughts on the matter have not changed. Chargers GM Tom Telesco said Thursday that Philip Rivers has at least a few seasons left and the team is ready to begin discussing a new contract with the quarterback.

"I can tell you he's not going anywhere, so he's going to be here," Telesco said. "We'll talk at the right point, as far as the moves we need to make in the offseason, the resources we have and how it all fits in. But yeah, he's not going anywhere."

The 37-year-old quarterback has said he believes he can still play at a high level for years to come and wants to be around when the Chargers open their new stadium in September 2020.

"I certainly feel that's something I want to be a part of and hopefully be helping us still winning football games," Rivers said.

Rivers finished the regular season fifth in the NFL in passer rating (105.5), tied for sixth in the league in passing touchdowns (32), eighth in passing yards (4,308) and ninth in completion percentage (68.3), earning his eighth trip to the Pro Bowl. Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck replaced Rivers in the annual all-star game due to an ankle issue.

Rivers has done a better job of taking care of the football since Anthony Lynn took over as head coach two years ago, and that has contributed to more steady play during that stretch.

"Philip played really good football this year," Lynn said. "He was very consistent. He was playing at an MVP level, and that's a credit to him, being 37 years old and coming back in the best shape of his life.

"He was unbelievable. I saw this coming last year in OTAs, just the way he ran around, the way he looked and the way he was throwing. He's a good football player. He's a Hall of Famer, so that speaks for itself."
    Lynn said during his end-of-season news conference with reporters last week that he believes Rivers can continue to play at a high level.

"After what he showed this year, I really think he can play for a couple more years, maybe even more -- who knows?" Lynn said. "I don't know what these guys take these days, they play forever."

Rivers made a successful transition during the team's relocation from San Diego to Los Angeles by purchasing a souped-up SUV for the 90-mile commute north of San Diego to the team's headquarters in Orange County, hiring a driver so he can study film during the trip.

Rivers and his wife, Tiffany, also are expecting their ninth child in March.

"I haven't seen a drop-off in abilities since I arrived here six years ago," Telesco said, when asked how much longer he believes Rivers can play. "Six years I've been here, and he's been playing better now than when I first got here. So I guess the sky's the limit, as for how long he wants to play."

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

So no high round QB in the draft til 2021?

C'mon down Trever Lawrence. I guess we will have to trade up big to #1 and let him sit a year
      Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-17-2019, 08:28 PM.
      11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
      35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
      37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
      66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
      69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
      100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
      110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
      140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
      181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
      225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• chris9341
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

Hey if he's as good as Darren Bennett was or better no one will be more happy then I am.

Comment

• Classic
          Hall Of Fame
          • Dec 2014
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
          So no high round QB in the draft til 2021?

C'mon down Trever Lawrence. I guess we will have to trade up big to #1 and let him sit a year
          Except unless the team picking #1 that year has their franchise QB I don't think they'll trade out. In any case I'm all about getting this current team over the hill these last 2 years of Rivers prime years. Draft BIG Pass Rushing Interior DL and replace Addae and we got ourselves a real defense that can contend.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

I've already heard comments from a couple of NFL front office people that Lawrence is the best true freshman QB they have ever seen, so unless something really unexpected happens we won't come close to being able to draft him.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
              I've already heard comments from a couple of NFL front office people that Lawrence is the best true freshman QB they have ever seen, so unless something really unexpected happens we won't come close to being able to draft him.
              Trade up with picks or and players. It can be done. If we are good elsewhere and QB is the biggest need by then. Just depends who is picking 1 and if they need a QB.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Chargers GM Tom Telesco will pause before making tough roster decisions

Team has long list of pending free agents and players in line for new contracts

By GILBERT MANZANO | gmanzano@scng.comdivisional-round playoff lossSpotrac.comAntonio GatesMelvin GordonJason VerrettAdrian PhillipsTyrell Williams

Comment

• Budsman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Blue Thunder View Post

Why do we have to only draft players that don't believe in God? :rimshot:
                  Autocorrect is brutal sometimes. Lololol

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

don't see the imperative to extend Rivers nor MG3 right away, albeit do agree when you do, that a two year deal, w/a second year cap/team friendly deal makes sense.

and am def looking to draft a QB this offseason, and @RB am liking Tevin Coleman in FA, and would like to take our chances w/Bryce Love in the draft, and.... saying so long to both Watt and Detrez, and.... don't think there's (ever) gonna be a trade up/tank for Trevor Charger moment.

and as mentioned in a previous thread/post, would like to see Forrest spell Mike if and when the time comes, and would send Scho to the bench to spell Q and Cole, and.... agree on moving Tevi to LG.

and don't know how available he might be, and.... will float out a name for backup ILB.... Tegray Scales ??

and think Elway would do well to take a gambit on Brett Rypien in the draft, and.... agree, that Finley might be a safer than not gambit in the draft, albeit prefer to gamble on Stidham, as can always double down come 2020 if he's a swing and a miss.
                    RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                      don't see the imperative to extend Rivers nor MG3 right away, albeit do agree when you do, that a two year deal, w/a second year cap/team friendly deal makes sense.

and am def looking to draft a QB this offseason, and @RB am liking Tevin Coleman in FA, and would like to take our chances w/Bryce Love in the draft, and.... saying so long to both Watt and Detrez, and.... don't think there's (ever) gonna be a trade up/tank for Trevor Charger moment.

and as mentioned in a previous thread/post, would like to see Forrest spell Mike if and when the time comes, and would send Scho to the bench to spell Q and Cole, and.... agree on moving Tevi to LG.

and don't know how available he might be, and.... will float out a name for backup ILB.... Tegray Scales ??

and think Elway would do well to take a gambit on Brett Rypien in the draft, and.... agree, that Finley might be a safer than not gambit in the draft, albeit prefer to gamble on Stidham, as can always double down come 2020 if he's a swing and a miss.
                      Yeah but you can't draft QBs in the first round two years in a row. That's setting you back, costing you money and just not smart and a big blunder. Stidham isn't worth a first imo. He is backup material in the NFL. Not to mention Rivers getting extended sits any QB on the bench for three years.
                      2020 is the year, or even 2021 and trade up big there. This class just isn't very good for starting QBs.

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

This class just isn't very good for starting QBs.
                        my top five/fairly certain they'll be NFL starters.... Kyler Murray, Haskins, Ryan Finley, Rypien and Stidham
                        risky biz.... Lock (anything but), Grier, Tyree Jackson, Gardner Minshew, NIck Fitzgerald, Easton Stick
                        developmental prospects.... Daniel Jones, Jordan Ta'amu, Clayton Thorson, Jake Browning, Trace McSorley

will also add that had seem some (Cobern) draft metrics that suggested Herbert would be an off the charts NFL QB, and that McSorley had some decent metrics, and Thorson not so much ??

ps. Tom Brady didn't win the SB for the Pats today, and ditto for Eli, Ben and Peyton, and.... we had Stan Humphries @the helm when we made our lone SB appearance.

RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• Electric Chicken
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post

Brother, we've needed that since Jamaal left! Too many people here thinking we need a pass rusher in that spot. I'd be over the moon with a space eating, O lineman occupying, keep your second level clean kind of guy. With all the speed we have in the back end and outside, that kind of guy would make a HUGE impact.
                          AGREED

Comment

Working...
                          X