• Show
Clear All
  • 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

Interesting note is that the Eagles in the third round were the last team they thought would pick him based on the attention he received.
    Another nice move by Telesco of not showing his cards.
    Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

"You play your best five" rings true. Placing Pipkins behind Okung pairs him with a Pro Bowl level vet OT to begin his NFL training. They'll give every OL that shows the ability to improve a chance to move up (or down) the depth chart. OTAs get more intense in phase III starting May 20. Mandatory mini-camp for all is Jun 11 - 13. Actual training camp starts end of July. It's just getting started. Everybody, including Telesco & the coaches need to see these guys working in pads.

Comment

• Xenos
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
        Good Q&A. It's nice to know all these little things like strengths and weaknesses.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Good Q&A. It's nice to know all these little things like strengths and weaknesses.
          Everything I have heard about him has been positive. It will obviously be a big jump for him, but he sure seems to have the physical tools and the right work ethic and attitude to give himself a chance to make it. And since he is a Charger, I am obviously REALLY pulling for him.

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Trey Pipkins Rounds Out Draft Class Signings

Chargers Communications

The Los Angeles Chargers signed third-round selection Trey Pipkins, the organization announced on Friday. The entire 2019 draft class is now under contract.

Taken with the 91st overall pick, Pipkins became the second-ever Sioux Falls product to be selected in an NFL draft, following punter Brian Hansen, who was selected by New Orleans in the ninth round of the 1984 draft. He was named first-team All-Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference by the coaches and first-team All-American Division-II by The Associated Press.

He blocked for an offense last year that averaged over 33 points per game and featured Harlon Hill Award Finalist Gabriel Wilson, who led the nation with nearly 180 rushing yards per game and 26 rushing scores. Pipkins was a second-team All-NSIC recipient as a sophomore and junior. Over the course of his career, Pipkins was a contributor to pave the way for 38 100-yard rushers over 35 different contests, including 15 times as a senior. He helped create holes for running backs to eclipse 1,700 rushing yards and 19 rushing scores in the 2016 and 2018 seasons.

Los Angeles Chargers Sign Third-Round Selection Trey Pipkins[PDF]
            My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Here are some player attributes laid out in a spider chart.

Trey Pipkins player profile featuring career stats, fantasy ranking, & analytics data. See combine scores, SPARQ, measurables, and comparable players.

The second one gives him a physical comparison to Lawrence Gibson an OT taken by Dallas in the 7th because of his physical attributes.

Here's his NFL career:

Professional career

Dallas Cowboys

Gibson was drafted by the Dallas Cowboys in the seventh round (243th overall) of the 2015 NFL Draft, because of his measurables and his impressive NFL scouting combine performance.[2] He was a top performer in 4 out of 6 events at the combine. Posting a 5.04 second 40-yard dash, 33.5 inch vertical jump, 9 foot 5 inch broad jump, and a 4.56 second 20-yard shuttle. After suffering a broken finger during rookie mini-camp, the surgery and recovery caused him to miss the organized team activities and the team's mini-camp.

He was waived on September 5.[3] The Cowboys offered him a chance to join their practice squad, but he decided to sign with a different team.

Kansas City Chiefs

On September 6, 2015, Gibson was signed by the Kansas City Chiefs to their practice squad. He spent the entire season on the team's practice squad and was signed to a futures contract on January 16, 2016.[4] On May 10, he was released after rookie minicamp to make room for tryout offensive lineman Zach Sterup.[5]

Atlanta Falcons

On May 18, 2016, Gibson was signed by the Atlanta Falcons.[6] On September 3, 2016, he was waived by the Falcons due to final roster cuts.[7]

Chicago Bears

On September 7, 2016, Gibson was signed to the Chicago Bears' practice squad.[8] He was cut on September 13.

New York Giants

On September 21, 2016, Gibson was signed to the New York Giants' practice squad, because the team was experiencing a shortage of offensive linemen.[9] On December 13, he was released by the team to make room for offensive lineman Adam Gettis.[10]

Houston Texans

On December 14, 2016, Gibson was signed to the Houston Texans' practice squad.[11] He signed a reserve/future contract with the Texans on January 16, 2017.[12] He was waived on September 2, 2017.[13]

Cleveland Browns

On December 13, 2017, Gibson was signed to the Cleveland Browns' practice squad.[14]

New York Giants (second stint)

On January 9, 2018, Gibson signed a futures contract with the New York Giants.[15] He chose not to join the team for any of the voluntary off-season programs and subsequently he was waived on May 11, 2018.[16]

Tennessee Titans

On August 3, 2018, Gibson signed with the Tennessee Titans. He was waived on September 1, 2018.[17]
              Last edited by Formula 21; 06-15-2019, 12:01 PM.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

I'm not going to say Pipkins can't be a starting NFL tackle. But I do think fans should go easy on their expectations, especially this year.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• RTPbolt
                  Charger Fan till the end
                  • Jun 2013
                  • North Carolina
                  • Send PM

I can see him getting lots of reps in preseason and loys of dxtra work ss a tackle but only starting if desperate. 10 games in i see a chance he can develop enough to play a tackle role.

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Do we ever draft good OL? My expectations are lower than low, and Tevi and Scott are not anchors.

Play the best five, who cares what their names are or where they were drafted.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                      I'm not going to say Pipkins can't be a starting NFL tackle. But I do think fans should go easy on their expectations, especially this year.
                      Its probably a bit unfair to compare Pipkens with a guy that got picked in round 7.
                      BTW, the wiki article says Lawrence Gibson runs a solar panel company with a guy from the pentagon.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Okay, with a hat tip to Formula for that Player Profiler link, let's compare Pip with Tevi. Pip actually is one rep better than Tevi in bench press, though both are still low; in all other measurables, Pip blows Tevi out of the water:

Sam Tevi:

image.jpeg

Trey Pipkins:

image.jpeg

Trey Pipkins player profile featuring career stats, fantasy ranking, & analytics data. See combine scores, SPARQ, measurables, and comparable players.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Topcat; 06-15-2019, 03:36 PM.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

And just for reference, compare both Tevi and Pip to Okung. Don't know if burst and agility scores are low or just missing, but high marks in other metrics, especially strength/bench press:

image.jpeg

Last edited by Topcat; 06-16-2019, 05:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X