• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charger1993
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

I had to look him up. Vaughn Martin from W. Ontario, 4th round. Was in the 2009 draft led off by Larry English. Only guy in that draft that was worthwhile was Louis Vasquez. AJ was so cocky then he threw away the 7th round pick as charity to a guy who never practiced (or so I remembered).
    And somehow vasquez didnt work for us. Went to the broncos and played alot better.. Then we got orlando Franklin from the broncos and he tirned into fluker. That whole situation was wild

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

So I got to see our second round pick and then went out to dinner with the family and I come home to see we spent a 3rd round pick on Pipkins? WTF? This seems like a massive, massive reach. I'm as willing as anyone to give the guy the benefit of the doubt and hope he succeeds but jeez, I really find it hard to believe that we gambled a 3rd round pick on such a project.

Comment

• charger1993
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
        So I got to see our second round pick and then went out to dinner with the family and I come home to see we spent a 3rd round pick on Pipkins? WTF? This seems like a massive, massive reach. I'm as willing as anyone to give the guy the benefit of the doubt and hope he succeeds but jeez, I really find it hard to believe that we gambled a 3rd round pick on such a project.
        Welcome to the minority of people mad we reached on him.

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

Giving TT benefit of the doubt
          the SC tackle went to the Jets immediately afterwards
          its a reach in every sense but wts, GMs are almost forced to reach for potential starting OTs because of the scarcity around the league
          you start with reaching for someone with the athleticism and try to determine if their holes are fixable
          TT clearly thinks he's a future starter, so I'll be rooting hard for the kid
          keep your head down and work your ass off son
          welcome to the family
          G-Ro knows.

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

TT does not have a good track record when it comes to drafting oline.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Here's my take on Pipkins: A bit raw, but seems to have the quickness, moves and talent to develop into a solid OT. I'm guessing several teams had Pipkins targeted as a Day 3 project, but the Bolts jumped the gun and snatched him up before anyone else got the chance. Everything I read on Pipkins is positive, that he has a lot of upside. Like this:

"A Division-II project with ideal dimensions and really good athletic ability, Pipkins only lacks experience against high-end competition. He could also stand to add core strength, but scouts were impressed with his zeal for the game and character in meetings and believe he has eventual starter potential if given the time to incubate properly. It's a bit of a reach, and he won't provide immediate returns, but Pipkins is fascinating."

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                Basketball player so the kid is athletic. Got to love that.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1993 View Post

I remember that pick and everyone lost their shit. They were right. Just like that random corner he reached on. Or josh perry. Or Feeney. Or chris watt. Reaching hasnt really panned out for us
                  Easy now, those first names you throwing our were AJ Smith picks. And my favorite is the LSU WR he drafted (Byrd) in the 7th who was in the hospital after a car wreck and said to never be able to play again.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

I remember that pick and everyone lost their shit. They were right. Just like that random corner he reached on. Or josh perry. Or Feeney. Or chris watt. Reaching hasnt really panned out for us
                    Some people said TT reached for Nwosu and Jones last year...don't hear too many complaints nowadays...

Comment

• charger1993
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Easy now, those first names you throwing our were AJ Smith picks. And my favorite is the LSU WR he drafted (Byrd) in the 7th who was in the hospital after a car wreck and said to never be able to play again.
                      I felt so bad byrd career got ended like that. Dude coukd fly on the field.

Comment

• charger1993
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Some people said TT reached for Nwosu and Jones last year...don't hear too many complaints nowadays...
                        Who said anything about Nwosu?? I dont remember any compliants on here during the draft. I remember people saying we drafted hin cuz tt loved him. Nwosu showed up and played tho, he proved he wasnt a reach. Jones is still kinda raw. I like jones, hes the future, but hes not what people made him out to be before the draft. People were talking like he was gonna be unblockable

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Not sure Perry or Feeney were reaches. Perry was a 4th round pick after all. You really can't be a reach at that point.

Comment

Working...
                          X