• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

at the risk of oversimplifying, we need a DL that emphasizing containment, particularly for Mahomes but
    also because of the ever growing trend in that direction with mobile qbs.
    this is more of a scheme issue but it's also a player's ability issue.
    some guys are great speed penetrators but aren't able to maintain contain and end up flying right past slipper dudes like Mahomes or Murray/Wilson/Jackson etc
    what i think we should be looking at are penetrators that physically beat up OL guys on their way to the QB
    you might be sacrificing speed and those quick sacks, but over the course of the game, you're making sure QBs
    dont escape the pocket thus giving them several more seconds to throw, and also setting up to win the trenches in the 4th quarter
    a fresh rotation of DL beating up the same 5 OL guys are going to win out eventually.
    Bosa is a perfect example, he wasn't the fastest edge guy, people mistakenly dropped his stock when comparing him to a von miller
    but he is a freight train coming sooner or later and that messes with a QBs head, they take for granted how much time they get
    god forbid he beats a block easily and gets there a split second earlier than expected, and that can be more disruptive than a fast guy who is predictably
    going to win or lose in the first step.
    many different ways to beat up an OL, speed at 3 tires them out, makes them work perfectly
    2 gappers can push their weight around, but we need a combo of guys to wear the opposing OL down
    Good point. Anyone see an Edge who fits this bill? Ojulari? Jaelan Phillips? Or, if you want containment, read this:

Carlos Basham, Edge, Wake Forest

Wake Forest defensive end Carlos Basham Jr. takes his game to the next level after racking up splash play after splash play from 2018-2020. In 31 games across that span, Basham Jr. has 33.5 tackles for loss, 19.5 sacks, seven forced fumbles, and a defensive touchdown. At the next level, Basham Jr. projects most favorably as a left defensive end in a 4-3 scheme that situationally gets chances to rush interior gaps. He’s a power style end that is strong at the point of attack, does well to contain, and features a sufficient pass-rushing skill set where his technique and effort leads to pressure on the quarterback. If a team is in search of a burst and bendy pass rusher, that’s not Basham’s game. He wins with power, technique, effort, and angles to get home. For Basham to reach his ceiling at the next level, developing his secondary pass rush moves, trimming weight, adding functional strength, and improving his block recognition skills on run plays will be important. If everything comes together, Basham can be a productive starter for a 4-3 defense.

Comment

• Boltgang74
      We Are The Storm!
      • Aug 2018
      • Send PM

So what round for Besham?Ive seen 3rd all the way up to late 1st

Comment

• UglyTruth
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2018
        • Send PM

I think we have to take Sam Cosmi if he’s available at #13.

Kid has all the tools to become the next great OT in the NFL. We can start him at RT and then when Bulaga gets injured we can move him to LT.
        Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
        - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
        - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
        - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
        - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
        - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
        - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• chargerkdb
          Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Hotter than hell, Georgia
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Good point. Anyone see an Edge who fits this bill? Ojulari? Jaelan Phillips? Or, if you want containment, read this:

Carlos Basham, Edge, Wake Forest

Wake Forest defensive end Carlos Basham Jr. takes his game to the next level after racking up splash play after splash play from 2018-2020. In 31 games across that span, Basham Jr. has 33.5 tackles for loss, 19.5 sacks, seven forced fumbles, and a defensive touchdown. At the next level, Basham Jr. projects most favorably as a left defensive end in a 4-3 scheme that situationally gets chances to rush interior gaps. He’s a power style end that is strong at the point of attack, does well to contain, and features a sufficient pass-rushing skill set where his technique and effort leads to pressure on the quarterback. If a team is in search of a burst and bendy pass rusher, that’s not Basham’s game. He wins with power, technique, effort, and angles to get home. For Basham to reach his ceiling at the next level, developing his secondary pass rush moves, trimming weight, adding functional strength, and improving his block recognition skills on run plays will be important. If everything comes together, Basham can be a productive starter for a 4-3 defense.

https://thedraftnetwork.com
          Boogie is a big boy. FYI Darrisaw handled him along with some pretty decent rushers in ACC this year

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

Kid has all the tools to become the next great OT in the NFL. We can start him at RT and then when Bulaga gets injured we can move him to LT.
            Bulaga plays ORT.
            Cosmi will take some coaching up to be able to start early on.
            My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Bulaga plays ORT.
              I'm always concerned about underweight offensive tackles.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Bulaga plays ORT.
                Chargers need a player that can come in day 1 and start at LT. Pip was a project. They don't need a RT - they need a LT. Find a LT.

Maybe its Slater. Maybe its a Eichenberg (I know Telesco would love this) - or maybe the new coaching staff has a clue what they want on the OL and can suggest that to Telesco.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Bulaga is our RT.... Til he gets hurt.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                    Pretty much retired......
                    • Sep 2018
                    • JoJa
                    • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                    • Send PM

So you're predicting a week 1 move???

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I'm always concerned about underweight offensive tackles.
                      If Cosmi was 290 or 295, I'd agree. But he's listed at 310, so not a rag doll, either. Being 6-7 though, I'll agree he has room to grow:

pump.jpg

cosmi.JPG

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                        Pretty much retired......
                        • Sep 2018
                        • JoJa
                        • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

If Cosmi was 290 or 295, I'd agree. But he's listed at 310, so not a rag doll, either. Being 6-7 though, I'll agree he has room to grow:

pump.jpg

cosmi.JPG
                        And the biggest thing about him (no pun intended) is that he is a Humble man (pun intended)..........

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Davonte Smith is 6'1", 174 lbs. Dude is skinny as hell. He reminds me of a taller Desean Jackson . Who never seems to be healthy. He has had 1 16 game season and a couple of 15 games season but also has had 9 , 3 and 5 game seasons.

I dont know, good players im just not a slight build fan of players. Doesnt seem like the Chargers are either. The Verret experiment was one that didnt work out.

Comment

Working...
                          X