• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post

Cuz to make the HOF ya gotta be able to get on the field.
    Just a reminder that Keenan missed 1.5 seasons back to back (8 games then 1 game) and since then has caught 403 passes and around 4600 yards, only missing 3 games the last four seasons.

Technically only 2 games missed but I'm not counting the game he got his 100 th reception this year because he played very little.

Comment

• Tol
      From Accounting
      • Mar 2019
      • Carlsbad
      • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post
      Everybody agree we need two starting tackles Tevi improved enough to be a backup, he didn't get exposed nearly enough just because Herbert mobility and quick reads any other QB we would be talking about how bad he was. Bulga is a roll of the dice with his back, as with Pouncey who I say we cut ties with. No way you can start 2021 with two rookie OT, I think best scenario is to draft OT with our 13th pick or trade back get and extra pick and still draft an OT in the first round and some where in 2nd or early 3rd get another OL doesn't matter C, or OG, all other picks I would concentrate on CB, DE, LB, WR

I hate to do it but we probably need to go to the free agency well for another OT. Tra Turner I give him a mulligan and we have to roll with Fenney because you can't replace the whole Offensive line and he has shown to at least be available.

Rookie OT, OG Turner, C Fenney, Rookie OG, FA 2021 OT
      Unrestricted Free Agents:
      C Mike Pouncey
      G Forrest Lamp
      G/C Dan Feeney
      T Sam Tevi
      G Ryan Groy

G Trai Turner is signed thru at least 2021, but poor performance and a hefty price tag could lead to his release.
      T Bryan Bulaga is signed thru 2022, but is often injured and I fear his body is done, like Ohrnberger's was.

G Cole Toner is a Restricted Free Agent.
      T Tyree St. Louis is an Exlcusive Rights Free Agent.

C/G Scott Quessenberry is signed thru 2021.
      T Storm Norton is signed thru 2021.
      T Trey Pipkins is signed thru 2022.

If we draft a plug and play Left Tackle, Pipkins can man the right side as he did in games this year. And I imagine some of those UFA's will be coming back to fill in the interior. If the Chargers can sign Lamp, Feeney and Tevi, maybe you can play Tevi at RG next to Pip at RT. I saw them line up on the right side together once in the first Chiefs game. Draft experts thought Tevi needed to move inside. Would he be a better guard than tackle now? Tevi could also be a backup swing tackle, if Pip or the LT need to miss any time. If you draft a LT in round 1, you could have Darrisaw and Lamp on the left side, Tevi and Pip on the right. That would give you the most continuity and familiarity on the OL, and Herbert with Feeney as his center. That would also be an all Charger drafted O-line. It's just a thought, since of course there's other free agents that can come in and multiple linemen who could be drafted.

Comment

• Tol
        From Accounting
        • Mar 2019
        • Carlsbad
        • Send PM

Some recent mock drafts have Chargers taking LT Christian Darrisaw. I've also seen a few mocking Alijah Vera-Tucker, which I don't get at all, especially at #13. Maybe I'm just biased against USC and UCLA prospects. I feel like they are more often then not a bust.

Here are some Darrisaw Mock Draft write-ups:

CBS:
        Darrisaw has seen his stock soar after a tremendous 2020 campaign for the Hokies. He's precisely what the Chargers need at left tackle to protect Justin Herbert.
        Sporting News:
        The Chargers know they have a potentially special QB in Justin Herbert and have some pretty good skill players to support him. But it's imperative they improve their edge pass protection to their already established young franchise passer. Darrisaw has entered the first-round mix of late with standout athleticism that can help him develop into a smooth and nimble long-term pass protector in the NFL.
        NFL Spin Zone:
        What they need to do in order to improve is start to build up their roster around the talented young quarterback.With that being their primary goal, they use their first pick in this draft on Virginia Tech offensive tackle Christian Darrisaw. A massive player at 6-foot-5 and 314-pounds, Darrisaw has been a starter since his freshman days and has shown steady progression. His arrival will help keep the young quarterback clean in the pocket, which is what the Chargers need going forward.
        Pro Football Network:
        Christian Darrisaw was a massive riser this season. At 6-foot-5, 314, Darrisaw has optimal size and length, and he also moves well. He plays with good power and leverage, and he has the upside to be a bookend blocker for a decade-plus.
        NFL Mocks:
        When you look at Darrisaw’s game, you see a player who has franchise left tackle written all over him. His size, length, athleticism, and killer instinct out there make him a top prospect at one of the most valuable positions in football. Darrisaw was strong before this past season, but his 2020 campaign really put him over the top as far as being an intriguing guy and a must-have type of guy. For the Chargers, this would almost be a no-brainer.
        With the First Pick:
        This might be the easiest pick in the mock draft. The Chargers desperately need a blindside protector for their QB of the future, Justin Herbert. Christian Darrisaw is an athletic, strong left tackle with a whole lot of upside.

There will be arguments about drafting Rashawn Slater here, and that pick could work out as well, but the Chargers will probably want to lock down a sure fire tackle here, and there are doubts that Slater can be a tackle in the NFL. Protecting Justin Herbert should be priority number one for Tom Telesco and the Chargers. He is the franchise’s future, please protect him.

Comment

• UglyTruth
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2018
          • Send PM

Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
          - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
          - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
          - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
          - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
          - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
          - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post
            Excellent player - but not sure he will be there at 13. And I would hope Telesco doesn't trade up for him. If he is the best player on the board at 13 - though I prefer CB, Edge and especially OT - I would be fine with the pick

But this falls under WANT more than NEED

Telesco said it last week: OL and Special Teams

Comment

• JOJAX85
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2018
              • Irmo, SC
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Excellent player - but not sure he will be there at 13. And I would hope Telesco doesn't trade up for him. If he is the best player on the board at 13 - though I prefer CB, Edge and especially OT - I would be fine with the pick

Agreed. He'll be gone by our pick, but if we do as we should and bring in another couple of OL via FA & he is still there at 13 then I don't have a problem grabbing him. He's certainly more dynamic than M. Williams was coming out & we took him at 7. People will knock him, because of his frame, but if you can't catch him that's not a problem. He has great speed, route running AND hands. That's a helluva combo.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

See all the mid to late round RBs.
                There's a James Robinson in there.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Devonta returns kicks.
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Tol View Post

Unrestricted Free Agents:
                    C Mike Pouncey
                    G Forrest Lamp
                    G/C Dan Feeney
                    T Sam Tevi
                    G Ryan Groy

G Trai Turner is signed thru at least 2021, but poor performance and a hefty price tag could lead to his release.
                    T Bryan Bulaga is signed thru 2022, but is often injured and I fear his body is done, like Ohrnberger's was.

G Cole Toner is a Restricted Free Agent.
                    T Tyree St. Louis is an Exlcusive Rights Free Agent.

C/G Scott Quessenberry is signed thru 2021.
                    T Storm Norton is signed thru 2021.
                    T Trey Pipkins is signed thru 2022.

If we draft a plug and play Left Tackle, Pipkins can man the right side as he did in games this year. And I imagine some of those UFA's will be coming back to fill in the interior. If the Chargers can sign Lamp, Feeney and Tevi, maybe you can play Tevi at RG next to Pip at RT. I saw them line up on the right side together once in the first Chiefs game. Draft experts thought Tevi needed to move inside. Would he be a better guard than tackle now? Tevi could also be a backup swing tackle, if Pip or the LT need to miss any time. If you draft a LT in round 1, you could have Darrisaw and Lamp on the left side, Tevi and Pip on the right. That would give you the most continuity and familiarity on the OL, and Herbert with Feeney as his center. That would also be an all Charger drafted O-line. It's just a thought, since of course there's other free agents that can come in and multiple linemen who could be drafted.
                    Pip should be a backup. Need to draft TWO OT's, and sign a veteran FA OT...need QUALITY depth...sure don't want to go into the next season with Pip projected as starting RT...already looks like a bust to me...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Devonta returns kicks.
                      thats not where the Chargers need ST help
                      that too me is like putting granite in the kitchen but the foundation is sand and the roof has holes

The Chargers problems on ST are the kicker, the blocking and the coverage teams

The Chargers need to build the foundation - thats OL and on ST - its the non fancy positions

that doesn't mean Smith at 13 is not a good pick - its just that Telesco needs to build the foundation, fix the roof and pipes before the fancy cabinets and granite counters

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                        See all the mid to late round RBs.
                        There's a James Robinson in there.
                        Is there an Alvin Kamara?

Comment

• Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Just a reminder that Keenan missed 1.5 seasons back to back (8 games then 1 game) and since then has caught 403 passes and around 4600 yards, only missing 3 games the last four seasons.

Technically only 2 games missed but I'm not counting the game he got his 100 th reception this year because he played very little.
                          I agree with the notion that there is no obvious reason why James has been injured as often as he has so far. That is what distinguishes players like Ingram, Allen, Henry and James from players like Verrett and Bob Sanders. Verrett and Sanders are players with smaller bodies that were never likely to hold up to the prolonged pounding involved in the NFL game. You could see their injuries coming a mile away and would be more surprised if they were not injured than if they were injured.

But Allen, Ingram, Henry and James are all of sufficient NFL size and strength to be able to endure the rigors of NFL football. While any player can get injured, these players are not naturally more likely to be injured by absorbing contact. Because of this, I think it is more likely than not that James will go on to have stretches like Allen and Ingram in which he will play most of the team's games for years to come.

Comment

Working...
                          X