Clear All
  • chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Lawrence is regarded by some as the best QB prospect ever. If Herbert lights it up early, I am trading him for multiple first round picks and taking Lawrence, the player with what some believe to be the highest all time ceiling.
    Lawrence was a failure in the Championship game - that gives me cause to wonder if he's over-rated?

and ........... why would you want to trade Herbert if he lights it up? Can you imagine if TT did that and Lawrence didn't work out so well while the guy he traded away was lighting it up elsewhere?
    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Lawrence was a failure in the Championship game - that gives me cause to wonder if he's over-rated?

and ........... why would you want to trade Herbert if he lights it up? Can you imagine if TT did that and Lawrence didn't work out so well while the guy he traded away was lighting it up elsewhere?
      First, you are completely cherry picking if you want to point to the only NCAA game Lawrence has ever played in which his team did not win. Also, Lawrence's stats have suffered because he has been pulled early in lopsided wins. And yet, his stats still compare favorably to those of Mahomes in college.

Second, Lawrence is only 20 years old right now. He has been competing 2-3 years ahead of his age group this whole time. His team won the NCAA championship with Lawrence when Lawrence was a true freshman at 19 years of age. Red shirt seniors are often 23 by the time they finish college and have had three more years than Lawrence currently has had to develop. Herbert is already 22 and is not as good as Lawrence is right now. That gap is only going to widen as Lawrence has more years to develop to reach his peak, a much higher peak than Herbert's or anyone else's possibly ever for that matter.

Third, Lawrence is a once in a lifetime or a once in multiple generations talent. KC and BAL (the teams with the last two MVP QBs) could take him without raising an eyebrow. I would expect him to displace either of their present starters within three years. The rule is that you take the best player and Lawrence is the best player in this or any draft maybe ever.

Fourth, you can always justify taking the best rated player and Lawrence is the consensus #1 rated player. What you cannot justify is passing on the best player, a player with much discussed potential for all time greatness and then watching the player that many suspect to have those traits become exactly what many thought he would become. That is the Stu Inman/Michael Jordan scenario. Inman participated in the building of a Blazers championship team in 1976/77 and yet Inman will always be known as the guy that passed on Michael Jordan for Sam Bowie because he did not have a good center and he already had Clyde Drexler and Jim Paxson at guard. Since Drexler was comparatively greater than Herbert, I think Inman was more justified than in passing on Jordan than Telesco ever would be in passing on Lawrence and yet that is still Inman's claim to fame. It would only be worse for Telesco if Lawrence becomes what many think he can become after Telesco passed on him.

I do not know of anybody that thinks Herbert's ceiling is higher than Lawrence's. As I stated previously, Lawrence is already better than Herbert. Telesco would be jackass of epic proportion if he were to pass on taking Lawrence.

Comment

• gzubeck
        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
        • Jan 2019
        • Tucson, AZ
        • Send PM

Not only that but what if Herbert gives you 95% the skill of Lawrence and is 100% more durable. Football is a demanding sport and you have to be available to play most games.
        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• gzubeck
          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
          • Jan 2019
          • Tucson, AZ
          • Send PM

First, you are completely cherry picking if you want to point to the only NCAA game Lawrence has ever played in which his team did not win. Also, Lawrence's stats have suffered because he has been pulled early in lopsided wins. And yet, his stats still compare favorably to those of Mahomes in college.

Second, Lawrence is only 20 years old right now. He has been competing 2-3 years ahead of his age group this whole time. His team won the NCAA championship with Lawrence when Lawrence was a true freshman at 19 years of age. Red shirt seniors are often 23 by the time they finish college and have had three more years than Lawrence currently has had to develop. Herbert is already 22 and is not as good as Lawrence is right now. That gap is only going to widen as Lawrence has more years to develop to reach his peak, a much higher peak than Herbert's or anyone else's possibly ever for that matter.

Third, Lawrence is a once in a lifetime or a once in multiple generations talent. KC and BAL (the teams with the last two MVP QBs) could take him without raising an eyebrow. I would expect him to displace either of their present starters within three years. The rule is that you take the best player and Lawrence is the best player in this or any draft maybe ever.

Fourth, you can always justify taking the best rated player and Lawrence is the consensus #1 rated player. What you cannot justify is passing on the best player, a player with much discussed potential for all time greatness and then watching the player that many suspect to have those traits become exactly what many thought he would become. That is the Stu Inman/Michael Jordan scenario. Inman participated in the building of a Blazers championship team in 1976/77 and yet Inman will always be known as the guy that passed on Michael Jordan for Sam Bowie because he did not have a good center and he already had Clyde Drexler and Jim Paxson at guard. Since Drexler was comparatively greater than Herbert, I think Inman was more justified than in passing on Jordan than Telesco ever would be in passing on Lawrence and yet that is still Inman's claim to fame. It would only be worse for Telesco if Lawrence becomes what many think he can become after Telesco passed on him.

I do not know of anybody that thinks Herbert's ceiling is higher than Lawrence's. As I stated previously, Lawrence is already better than Herbert. Telesco would be jackass of epic proportion if he were to pass on taking Lawrence.
          Twice in a lifetime...I would take mahomes as well.

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Crusher thinks TL is the greatest QB prospect to ever strap it up.
            Herbert and Trevor are very similar in physical attributes and play style. TL has had a much better talent around him.
            Sewell, Roche, Farley, Humphrey, McCollum, Snowden, Little, Surtain II, Stevenson, Busham, Cosmi, Campbell are prospects I’d like for us early.
            My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• chargeroo
              Fan since 1961
              • Jan 2019
              • Oregon
              • Retired Manager/Pastor
              • Send PM

Crusher, We simply don't see TL in the same way I think he's very good but I won't bet the house on him being one of the greatest QB ever. I'm not betting the house on Herbert either but if he had already "lit it up", I'd stick with him.
              THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. If Herbert shows top level skill during the season, no way do you let him go and bring in an unknown.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• FarAwayBoltFan
                  San Diego Native
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Farmington, NM
                  • Send PM

I remember watching the High School Senior Bowl where Trevor Lawrence committed to Clemson. The announcers were gushing about him being the highest rated high school QB prospect of all time. I never did figure out who did the rating but he has been successful in College and unless something momentous/tragic occurs, he will be the #1 pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.

The recent discussion in this thread has been what to if we have the #1 pick. Given the talent on this team, the only way I see us having the #1 pick is a scenario where both Tyrod AND Herbert get extensive playing time and both perform so terribly that we have the worst record in football. I don't see how Herbert could have 'lit it up' if we have the worst record in football.

That being the case, if it was my decision I would trade Herbert and select Trevor Lawrence at #1 or open the bidding at a Kevin Costner "Draft Day" like haul of 3+ #1s, multiple #2s, and players (OTs!).

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

LOL, c'mon man..the love is getting ridiculous. The bolded is some bullshit. He isnt going to be the only QB to enter the NFL at 21 years old. Merriman was only 20 when he entered. I like Lawrence but geez dude. Its like you will be rooting for us to tank to draft him. That isnt something we need to put up with.

IF Herbert shows well i hate to tell you but we wont be drafting Lawrence. IF he doesnt then perhaps but at this stage its a long shot. You have no idea at this point where we will even be picking. However in a season i dont see us playing, .....maybe 6th again? I have no idea how that comes to pass.

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

LOL, c'mon man..the love is getting ridiculous. The bolded is some bullshit. He isnt going to be the only QB to enter the NFL at 21 years old. Merriman was only 20 when he entered. I like Lawrence but geez dude. Its like you will be rooting for us to tank to draft him. That isnt something we need to put up with.

IF Herbert shows well i hate to tell you but we wont be drafting Lawrence. IF he doesnt then perhaps but at this stage its a long shot. You have no idea at this point where we will even be picking. However in a season i dont see us playing, .....maybe 6th again? I have no idea how that comes to pass.
                      That would be a weird scenario!?!?!? I would hate to see the bidding frenzy and windfall draft picks for cinci! Cinci could go from no-one to someone in a couple of seasons!

Comment

• Blue Thunder
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Arlington, TX
                        • Send PM

There's no way this team will be bad enough to earn the #1 pick. We simply have too much talent for that to be the case.

Also, I'd be really surprised if whomever has the #1 pick in 2021 trades it away. So, to me, there's no way Lawrence ends up as a Charger.

I've been following Trevor since the Elite 11 competition his senior year in high school. He is definitely the real deal and will make some team other than us very happy.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                          French Speaking Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Québec city
                          • Send PM

If there's no NFL this year, the Bengals would have the #1
                          What should they do ?

Comment

Working...
                          X