• Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
    Good stuff Nutty. Keep it coming.
    Absolutely hear what you're saying with Najee... you know I love him... I have for a long time.
    But Slater and AVT are both great pass blockers (Northwestern vs Ohio State 2019 should put that to rest). The fact that they are excellent run blockers puts them legitimately @#13. PBA @ PON intersection makes 2021 Nutty's year.

If you have LT covered for the next 9 years... then you find the next Najee in the mid/late 1st round. Or an Etienne... or a Javonte Williams... or a Derrick Henry (2nd)... or Alvin Kamara (3rd)...

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I think you get your IOL from free agency but OT needs to come from the 13.
      100% correct!

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Absolutely hear what you're saying with Najee... you know I love him... I have for a long time.
        But Slater and AVT are both great pass blockers (Northwestern vs Ohio State 2019 should put that to rest). The fact that they are excellent run blockers puts them legitimately @#13. PBA @ PON intersection makes 2021 Nutty's year.

If you have LT covered for the next 9 years... then you find the next Najee in the mid/late 1st round. Or an Etienne... or a Javonte Williams... or a Derrick Henry (2nd)... or Alvin Kamara (3rd)...
        I expect Slater to be gone. AVT is a favorite. Simply put, he is a good football player.

The dynamic RBBC concept concerns me in one area. Clock management. Short yardage.
        There are so many good RB playmakers. Gainwell, Michael Carter...
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

I expect Slater to be gone. AVT is a favorite. Simply put, he is a good football player.

The dynamic RBBC concept concerns me in one area. Clock management. Short yardage.
          There are so many good RB playmakers. Gainwell, Michael Carter...
          Oh, Michael Carter is part of that conversation! I like Gainwell's experience running routes.
          Joshua Kelly and Gabe Nabers are short yardage. I don't give up on my 4th round "LA Kid" RB after 1 year. I ask myself how effective he can be when he's not getting hit 4 yards behind the L.O.S. every other play. I'm fixing that IOL through FA.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

There was some Next Generation analytics metric where Joshua was complete shit. I hope he can come on.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
              Oline-Tip of the Spear...
              • Feb 2019
              • McLean Illinois
              • Pipefitter Illinois State University
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I think you get your IOL from free agency but OT needs to come from the 13.
              So pick an LT, with 13, no matter what? Thats how we got Fluker. No thanks...BPA, and I hope its a tackle, which isnt likely. If Sewell is gone, and Slater if you think he is a tackle, then you arent going to get OT talent at 13, that cant be also had in the second. Im not picking a second tier LT at 13, just to say I got a first round tackle, and passing up a blue chip defender, or a star like Chase or Pitts...

For what its worth, I wanna get that blue chip LT...but its gonna cost us. We'll just have to see if a big run on QBs put Sewell in trading range for us.
              Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Of course Gainwell isn't the only RB that can do that... but he is the best receiving back... by far.
                I'm not narrowly focused on RB size/weight. I see what Lombardi likes to do... then find that skillset. I see Gainwell, EKE, and Jackson as RB's that fit that skillset. There should be a regular rotation that keeps all 3 RB's healthy.
                And I ain't using any of them as f-ing "pass-blockers" LOL! My pass-blockers are actual pass-blockers... OT's. No more wasting my shiny toys... get them into the damn pattern! Free Hunter Henry!

And if you don't like Murray at OLB... if you want him at ILB... fine. Get an EDGE rusher with the 2nd round pick.
                But, remember how effective Lavonte David was against the Chiefs last night... currently, we have one (if he can stay healthy) LB that is above average in coverage (Tranquil). Murray is a liability in coverage.
                We have seen what he likes to do as well and he does it with bigger RBs. I doubt Jackson is back as well. Why would we pay him more as a Free agent to be hurt all the time? It atounds me that many are down on a guy who get injured often but then wants to bring them back, pay them more and then draft another schrimp. Just blows me away.

As for "wanting" Murray anywhere..... do i know what they are going to do? Hell no , but lets be logical and try to guess.

Murray has never been a OLB pass rusher. He is a good blitizing ILB. Why move him and take away his side to sideline speed and nose for the ball and stick him at OLB and make him a 50% of the field player who rushes most of the time? He was coming on really well the last 4-5 games. Leave him there.

Just how i see it but sure i could be wrong. Just think i have less odds of that than you do. We'll see.

There will be times that the RBs will be left in on audibles to pass block. Anyways, its cool that you like Gainwell. He is a good little player, just dont think thats what this team needs. Much rather have Javonte Williams who fits so much better and also has good hands. Id actually rather have him over Najee Harris. And again id be stunned if we brought Jackson back.....and im a JJ fan. He is just made of glass and this team needs to be more durable.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

I'm not planning anything "around Jackson"... or EKE... or Gainwell. But I'm also not drafting a bell-cow early knowing that the offense will be built around Herbert... not a RB. Expect Lombardi to go RBBC. Expect your RB's to be targets in the passing game. There's nothing to indicate that Lombardi wouldn't put a RB in the slot and one in the backfield at the same time. Gainwell was used as a WR a lot... and very effectively.

Gainwell in the slot on one side, EKE in the flat on the other... KA doing KA stuff and Hunter Henry working the middle. That's a nightmare to defend. With long speed on the outside (Guyton/Johnson), that's a lot of pressure on LB's and safeties... Currently, KC has no answer for that.
                  That is true but they dont hit them any less because they caught the ball. The RBBC is great but they will both run and catch and again, Kamara was the lightest RB the Saints had at 215 lbs. Dwayne Washington, 223, Murray, 230, Ty Montgomery, 216.

I do think we will run the ball more than the Saints did. Herbert was great but he isnt Drew Brees yet. Kamara has never had 200 rushes in a season and never had 1000 yards and he was the workhorse.

I think we will run more than they did and if we draft say J. Williams, Harris, Stevenson or Hubbard.....im thinking that guy will split things with Ekeler, perhaps have more carries because they are bigger with Ek getting more receptions.

You say you dont look at size but you have to. Sproles never had even 100 rushes a season and was hurt often.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

So pick an LT, with 13, no matter what? Thats how we got Fluker. No thanks...BPA, and I hope its a tackle, which isnt likely. If Sewell is gone, and Slater if you think he is a tackle, then you arent going to get OT talent at 13, that cant be also had in the second. Im not picking a second tier LT at 13, just to say I got a first round tackle, and passing up a blue chip defender, or a star like Chase or Pitts...

For what its worth, I wanna get that blue chip LT...but its gonna cost us. We'll just have to see if a big run on QBs put Sewell in trading range for us.
                    No, no - you are right. You have to pick the best player still at 13. I just hope at 13 a guy like Slater falls. But I think Parsons, the Va Tech CB or Slater will be there at 13. I guess it all depends on the QBs and WRs. My hope is Waddle, Pitts, Chase and at least 3 QBs go in the top 12. That would help the Chargers

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

We have seen what he likes to do as well and he does it with bigger RBs. I doubt Jackson is back as well. Why would we pay him more as a Free agent to be hurt all the time? It atounds me that many are down on a guy who get injured often but then wants to bring them back, pay them more and then draft another schrimp. Just blows me away.

As for "wanting" Murray anywhere..... do i know what they are going to do? Hell no , but lets be logical and try to guess.

Murray has never been a OLB pass rusher. He is a good blitizing ILB. Why move him and take away his side to sideline speed and nose for the ball and stick him at OLB and make him a 50% of the field player who rushes most of the time? He was coming on really well the last 4-5 games. Leave him there.

Just how i see it but sure i could be wrong. Just think i have less odds of that than you do. We'll see.

There will be times that the RBs will be left in on audibles to pass block. Anyways, its cool that you like Gainwell. He is a good little player, just dont think thats what this team needs. Much rather have Javonte Williams who fits so much better and also has good hands. Id actually rather have him over Najee Harris. And again id be stunned if we brought Jackson back.....and im a JJ fan. He is just made of glass and this team needs to be more durable.
                      Jackson isn't a FA. He's signed through 2021 @ $920,000. Obviously I'd like to see him on the field more. He had a 4.6 ypc when he was in. Capable receiver, too.
                      Williams and/or Harris are rarely there in the 2nd round... do I think we need to spend that kind of draft capital to be good. No. In fact, with our numerous needs, it would be foolish.
                      EKE 120 rushes, Kelly 120 rushes, Gainwell 120 rushes, and Jackson 80 rushes... and you're at the league average... and you have RB's that are versatile. Gainwell puts 10 more pounds on his 5'11'' frame and he's exact size as Ekeler and Jackson. Has TT ever drafted a RB over 215 lbs...?

While Murray was used as a pass rusher from the outside at Oklahoma in passing situations, I agree he's best when attacking from the ILB position and going sideline to sideline. I guess we'll just have to live with his developing skills in pass coverage. I have no problem adjusting my draft and getting a pass rusher in the 2nd round.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Jackson isn't a FA. He's signed through 2021 @ $920,000. Obviously I'd like to see him on the field more. He had a 4.6 ypc when he was in. Capable receiver, too.
                        Williams and/or Harris are rarely there in the 2nd round... do I think we need to spend that kind of draft capital to be good. No. In fact, with our numerous needs, it would be foolish.
                        EKE 120 rushes, Kelly 120 rushes, Gainwell 120 rushes, and Jackson 80 rushes... and you're at the league average... and you have RB's that are versatile. Gainwell puts 10 more pounds on his 5'11'' frame and he's exact size as Ekeler and Jackson. Has TT ever drafted a RB over 215 lbs...?

While Murray was used as a pass rusher from the outside at Oklahoma in passing situations, I agree he's best when attacking from the ILB position and going sideline to sideline. I guess we'll just have to live with his developing skills in pass coverage. I have no problem adjusting my draft and getting a pass rusher in the 2nd round.
                        OK, I thought JJ was a FA. I do like him as well but seems everytime he gets any playing time he gets hurt. I think he is our most elusive runner. He has no dead cap hit so we'll see if they keep him or want to use his 920K elsewhere.

Still don't see Gainwell being drafted by us. And he is listed as 5'11" but he don't look that tall on tape. Illusion maybe standing next to his QB, idk lol.

I'm guessing just like everyone else but just seems if we are going by what Lombardi has been using as RBs in the past, skinny light guys aren't it. We have no one like Gordon who breaks tackles. Ekeler does at times but he also gets hurt bouncing around like that.

Melvin Gordon was 215 lbs when drafted. Josh Kelly weighed 219 at the combine, is listed at 212 on their roster. And JJ is the only other RB he has drafted.

This really means nothing as you never know sometimes but....
                        We had Kerwynn Williams at one time a while back and he had a better college year(Utah St) than Gainwell, more explosive, little bigger and returned kicks at a time we needed a return man and didnt make the team.. Just saying small scholl stars don't always mean anything.
                        Kerwynn did decent at AZ when he got a chance.
                        Last edited by Boltjolt; 02-08-2021, 07:14 PM.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Herbert is #1 vs pressure.
                          Is it Oline we really need ?
                          Or is it...
                          --dynamic playcalling.
                          --play action.
                          --RPO.
                          --Inside Zone Blocking concepts.
                          --receivers who create separation early in routes.

????

Comment

Working...
                          X