• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

No tree unshaken or bush unkicked, you looking for justification to not spend a first round pick on a B-O-R-I-N-G olineman....the desperate pleas to the forum make me giggle..:lol:
    There's lots of moving parts...
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2020
      • Oklahoma
      • Send PM

I don't want Herbie getting tackled more than a few times a game. MaHomes already the concusion running against the Browns. Rodgers got his shoulder crushed a few years back running against the Vikings.
      Put a great O Line in front of him is the must for a long Manning, Brady type of career. To me the debate is this: Brady had the better team around him including the O Line. Peyton had the better receivers and RB.
      Andrew Luck on the other hand did not have Peyton's O Line and therefore took a beating and retired prematurely.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
        If I had to take away one thing from TT’s presser today, it’s that we might not take an OT in the 1st. TT mentioned the depth of the OT class and he also seemed a little wary of our CB situation. Maybe he’s not sold on the 1st round OTs.

Purely speculating, I’d say TT likes Patrick Surtain II. TT likes players with a lot of reps and Surtain fits the bill. Surtain also had the same DB coach at Bama that Derwin and Ramsey had at FSU. Surtain is a good tackler, no medical issues, and seems like an all-around safe pick, an instant high level contributor. Gotta wonder where TT’s got him on his board.

My far flung conclusion is that TT’s setting the stage for a non-OL 1st rounder.
        Nice. We’ll have a new GM running the draft next year. Get rid of Mr. Ho Hum.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
          If I had to take away one thing from TT’s presser today, it’s that we might not take an OT in the 1st. TT mentioned the depth of the OT class and he also seemed a little wary of our CB situation. Maybe he’s not sold on the 1st round OTs.

Purely speculating, I’d say TT likes Patrick Surtain II. TT likes players with a lot of reps and Surtain fits the bill. Surtain also had the same DB coach at Bama that Derwin and Ramsey had at FSU. Surtain is a good tackler, no medical issues, and seems like an all-around safe pick, an instant high level contributor. Gotta wonder where TT’s got him on his board.

My far flung conclusion is that TT’s setting the stage for a non-OL 1st rounder.
          Not sure I took that is what he means. But yes he could take BPA if Sewell is gone,..but another thing thing I took was he isn't thinking of trading MW and he likely gets extended considering he said 1 year deals at this time aren't really desirable since those cap hits for the one year are the value of the deal,.. You know, as in a fifth year option.
          Unless a guy is cheap on a vet minimmum.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
            Draftnik
            • Oct 2020
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Not sure I took that is what he means. But yes he could take BPA if Sewell is gone,..but another thing thing I took was he isn't thinking of trading MW and he likely gets extended considering he said 1 year deals at this time aren't really desirable since those cap hits for the one year are the value of the deal,.. You know, as in a fifth year option.
            Unless a guy is cheap on a vet minimmum.
            Yeah I noticed that about MW too. He’ll be a Charger next year. My bet is that TT does a number in FA building the OL, but also cuts Turner while he’s at it. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him re-sign Tevi and add 3 additional OL FAs.

I think he wants a 1st round CB. Hopefully Surtain falls. Really don’t want to trade up for him. The other option is to trade back and target a tier 2 guy like Stokes, Newsome, or Horn. I think that’s a better option. Could pick up an additional 2nd or 3rd.

With 4 picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds he can address OL, DT, EDGE, and possibly a skill position like RB or WR.
            Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Critty
              Dominate the Day.
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
              TT has been bad at drafting OL but look at this dreadful drafting by Belichick

@SharpFootball: this grotesque manifest is every Patriots WR & TE drafted since 2011...

...someone willingly drafted like this:

Devin Asiasi
              Dalton Keene
              N'Keal Harry
              Braxton Berrios
              Ryan Izzo
              Malcolm Mitchell
              Devin Lucien
              A.J. Derby
              Jeremy Gallon
              Aaron Dobson
              Josh Boyce
              Jeremy Ebert
              Lee Smith

I would take Dalton Keene.
              Just a rookie last year.
              Think he has a bit of upside to his game.
              Who has it better than us?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

You've heard of wu-han.

At the wu-dai Lab, we are working diligently to create a new Oline synergistic energy, an energy that will change everything.

The results of our testing will be in soon, and we are optimistic.

#v3
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2020
                  • Oklahoma
                  • Send PM

I'm guessing it will be a smaller, faster, more modern O Line?
                  Quicker guards and center to pull on sweeps and screens.
                  The kind Rivers never had?
                  The kind that finally won the donkeys 2 Super Bowls with Shanarat.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2020
                    • Oklahoma
                    • Send PM

Trenchers and others I need your thoughts after watching this. Evaluation on Slater from a 33 year NFL scout...Good video all the way through with his thoughts on Sewell, Leatherwood, Menet, and Dickerson as well.
                    If you don't watch it all watch at around 51:00 when he talks about the importance of length.
                    Last edited by Leslie Grossman; 03-06-2021, 08:21 PM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post
                      Trenchers and others I need your thoughts after watching this. Evaluation on Slater from a 33 year NFL scout...Good video all the way through with his thoughts on Sewell, Leatherwood, Menet, and Dickerson as well.
                      If you don't watch it all watch at around 51:00 when he talks about the importance of length.
                      https://youtu.be/viYClQJAjG4
                      Im not the best trenches to ask but to me this scout is pretty old school.

He talks about body types for OG and OT and he is probably right for OT but in a ZBS, guys like Sean Peyton and Shanahan, etc... They didn't like those huge guys because they weren't quick enough.

He called Slater a late second rounder strictly because he isn't tall enough or long enough, and isn't strong enough on tape from 2019. Well you can fix the latter in the weight room and he may have been doing that when he opted out. There also are a few OTs that are Slaters height or maybe a tad taller.

He talked about college players being hurt... Wouldn't draft Dickerson is basically what he said though he said he is a really good football player. Thinks Sewell is a first rounder, didn't get the impression he thinks he is top 5.

He really likes Menet in the later third round. Has Leatherwood as a third round RT.
                      Last edited by Boltjolt; 03-06-2021, 09:29 PM.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2020
                        • Oklahoma
                        • Send PM

yep....so if I were to think length is that important I am looking at Slater as an interior player. Then the question becomes: If I think he has a good chance of becoming the 2nd best guard in the game Do I take him at 13?
                        Or is a left tackle as good as King Dunlap//Marcus McNeill with a Dielman at guard better?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post
                          yep....so if I were to think length is that important I am looking at Slater as an interior player. Then the question becomes: If I think he has a good chance of becoming the 2nd best guard in the game Do I take him at 13?
                          Or is a left tackle as good as King Dunlap//Marcus McNeill with a Dielman at guard better?
                          Depends on your scouts. That guy said what he said, and then you have Daniel Jeremiah calling Slater the better LT over Sewell. :shrug:

Comment

Working...
                          X