• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
    Sorry for the long post but there's something that has been overlooked by many here.

Staley's 2 high S defensive scheme is designed to "keep the cap" on the defense.
    prevent big, explosive plays, particularly passing plays.
    This suggests to me that he more than anyone understands the importance and impact those plays have in today's NFL.
    The good news is that there are only a handful of QBs with deepball accuracy and arm strength; yet, preventing this is his biggest priority.
    Imo this is because long completions for TDs is the hardest thing to overcome defensively. It takes 1 play and a few seconds. Not much of a chance to make a play on the ball, and even it is intercepted, it's deep in the defenses territory.
    Also,
    Deep ball ability opens up the short and intermediate passing game better than a "great run game", again, my opinion, and that's because defenses are getting better at defending the run and short to intermediate passes simultaneously, thanks to the birth of modern LBs/SS.

with modern rules, the offense continues to have the advantage, you couple that with a vertical threat made up of an accurate deep passer with vertical speed receiver who can threaten all levels of the defense, and you are essentially cheating your way to points; this is invaluable.
    we saw this with Burrows last season in which he had 3 elite receivers, all able to stretch the field vertically and horizontally and it almost wound up in a superbowl win.
    An elite passing attack is the most valuable trait a team can have, and there simply aren't many QBs that can man an elite passing game currently, ours can.
    So, strategically, if we didn't have Herbert, maybe I wouldn't be so high on Jameson as a fit, because there will likely always be some of Jameson's potential and value left unaccessed.
    But a combination of Herbert AND Jameson is too valuable to pass up on and allow for potential in the passing game to go undeveloped.
    Heres where I'll lose some of you. Herbert doesn't need more time in the pocket necessarily, he needs more open targets that don't drop balls, adding Jameson is the best way to get Allen, Mike, Parham and Ekeler more open.
    it doesn't have to be Jameson, but we should celebrate any WR we draft at 17. Something you can infer from us selecting a WR is that Staley valued that WR over any other defender at 17 that could undoubtedly help his defense. I know you can say that about any team, but with the way we approached the defensive changes this offseason, that's saying something.
    We sucked at defending the run and it was pretty much our DL, not the LBs and Safeties. Hence why we signed 2 DTs.
    You need players to fit your scheme, period and Murrays 2 bad ankles didn't help either.

The Bengals had 3 good WRs but only Chase was fast. Tee Higgins ran a 4.54 and Boyd ran a 4.58 at their combines.

This place keeps saying we need speed at WR to get those long throws which is nice but not really true while MW who also ran a 4.54 lead the league in 40+ yard pass plays and a career 16 YPC.
    You just need good players but sure speed helps. But that isn't what the Bengals recievers have. Only Chase is a speed guy.

I'll be pretty shocked if we spend 17 in a WR. Again I won't complain but when you are paying both Keenan and MW 20 mil a year, I doubt we are going WR again in round 1.

The last bolded above I'm gonna call BS on that too.

We are the only team in the league paying 2 WRs that kind of dough. A 3rd making first round money? I say NO.

Again, I'll welcome a WR, just don't think that's where we go. But if we do, great. My view is we need good players period.

The Steelers and Packers usually have a good stable of WRs but they are never loaded with high money WRs.

Pittsburgh is very good at finding good WRs 2nd round on down. Clayton was a 2nd, JuJu a 2nd, Antonio Brown a 6th, Emmanuel Sanders a 3rd, Dionte Johnson a 3rd,
    Hines Ward a 3rd, Mike Wallace a 3rd , Randle El a 2nd.

Just my opinion. Telesco just needs to draft better and hopefully Staley is a better evaluator than Lynn.
    Last edited by Boltjolt; 04-27-2022, 06:15 AM.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2021
      • Send PM

It sounds like Ridder might be moving up draft boards. Can we see the Lions wanting to trade up from 32 ahead of the Steelers to get their QB? If that is a possibility, there is a good chance either Hill or Cine would still be there at 32.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

All Schemes require good DL players and all schemes require good DBs. Football is still football.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• electricgold
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2020
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
          All Schemes require good DL players and all schemes require good DBs. Football is still football.
          So does this mean we are drafting Jordan Davis or McDuffie with pick 17??

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

If we trash Penning enough, maybe he falls to 17. Maybe. So there is still a chance we’ll get him.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
              If we trash Penning enough, maybe he falls to 17. Maybe. So there is still a chance we’ll get him.

Comment

• Chargerfreak
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2018
                • Send PM

Is Penning the third our fourth best tackle in the draft.

I'm asking for DJ Fluker.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                  Sorry for the long post but there's something that has been overlooked by many here.

Staley's 2 high S defensive scheme is designed to "keep the cap" on the defense.
                  prevent big, explosive plays, particularly passing plays.
                  This suggests to me that he more than anyone understands the importance and impact those plays have in today's NFL.
                  The good news is that there are only a handful of QBs with deepball accuracy and arm strength; yet, preventing this is his biggest priority.
                  Imo this is because long completions for TDs is the hardest thing to overcome defensively. It takes 1 play and a few seconds. Not much of a chance to make a play on the ball, and even it is intercepted, it's deep in the defenses territory.
                  Also,
                  Deep ball ability opens up the short and intermediate passing game better than a "great run game", again, my opinion, and that's because defenses are getting better at defending the run and short to intermediate passes simultaneously, thanks to the birth of modern LBs/SS.

with modern rules, the offense continues to have the advantage, you couple that with a vertical threat made up of an accurate deep passer with vertical speed receiver who can threaten all levels of the defense, and you are essentially cheating your way to points; this is invaluable.
                  we saw this with Burrows last season in which he had 3 elite receivers, all able to stretch the field vertically and horizontally and it almost wound up in a superbowl win.
                  An elite passing attack is the most valuable trait a team can have, and there simply aren't many QBs that can man an elite passing game currently, ours can.
                  So, strategically, if we didn't have Herbert, maybe I wouldn't be so high on Jameson as a fit, because there will likely always be some of Jameson's potential and value left unaccessed.
                  But a combination of Herbert AND Jameson is too valuable to pass up on and allow for potential in the passing game to go undeveloped.
                  Heres where I'll lose some of you. Herbert doesn't need more time in the pocket necessarily, he needs more open targets that don't drop balls, adding Jameson is the best way to get Allen, Mike, Parham and Ekeler more open.
                  it doesn't have to be Jameson, but we should celebrate any WR we draft at 17. Something you can infer from us selecting a WR is that Staley valued that WR over any other defender at 17 that could undoubtedly help his defense. I know you can say that about any team, but with the way we approached the defensive changes this offseason, that's saying something.
                  Well, 21, u just made a good case for a multi-talented wideout like Jameson...but...what if he isn't there at #17? Any others u might consider?

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                    French Speaking Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Québec city
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

We sucked at defending the run and it was pretty much our DL, not the LBs and Safeties. Hence why we signed 2 DTs.
                    You need players to fit your scheme, period and Murrays 2 bad ankles didn't help either.

The Bengals had 3 good WRs but only Chase was fast. Tee Higgins ran a 4.54 and Boyd ran a 4.58 at their combines.

This place keeps saying we need speed at WR to get those long throws which is nice but not really true while MW who also ran a 4.54 lead the league in 40+ yard pass plays and a career 16 YPC.
                    You just need good players but sure speed helps. But that isn't what the Bengals recievers have. Only Chase is a speed guy.

I'll be pretty shocked if we spend 17 in a WR. Again I won't complain but when you are paying both Keenan and MW 20 mil a year, I doubt we are going WR again in round 1.

We are the only team in the league paying 2 WRs that kind of dough. A 3rd making first round money? I say NO.

Again, I'll welcome a WR, just don't think that's where we go. But if we do, great. My view is we need good players period.

The Steelers and Packers usually have a good stable of WRs but they are never loaded with high money WRs.

Pittsburgh is very good at finding good WRs 2nd round on down. Clayton was a 2nd, JuJu a 2nd, Antonio Brown a 6th, Emmanuel Sanders a 3rd, Dionte Johnson a 3rd,

Just my opinion. Telesco just needs to draft better and hopefully Staley is a better evaluator than Lynn.
                    So, why drafting WR in the 1st ?

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

The best quality in a WR is to have chemistry with the QB so the QB will throw the ball his way.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

So, why drafting WR in the 1st ?
                        BPA?
                        WR & Edge are the two biggest position groups of early- mid 1st talent.
                        The 1-16 picks control who will be best player available.
                        I favor D at 17 but Talent rules.

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

You'll welcome it, eat it, like it and ask for seconds!
                          ha.
                          WR is not a position for "good enough", you strive to be elite because it directly translates to points. An elite guard does not directly translate to points, thats why Zion, the Jameson of Guards is not being talked about in the top 10, and outside of the LG from Indy, no guard is.
                          I agree with you more than you think, but I wouldn't be shocked if it IS WR at 17 regardless of what other WRs were paying.
                          speed to WR is equivalent to ark strength for QBs, it's a useful tool but not necessary, then again, if you don't have the burner, you're wasting Herbert's talent EVERY week.
                          P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                          P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                          P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                          P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

Working...
                          X