Clear All
  • gzubeck
    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
    • Jan 2019
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

0! = 1
    Yeah I wasn't trying for zero Factorial... zero = 0 is what I meant. just doesn't matter which way you spin it on Bulaga... we just have to move on to save our sanity!

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• FoutsFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Birmingham AL
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Agree they shouldn't.
      Chad Rueter just put out a 3 round mock and has 5 QBs going in the first round.

Needless to say I don't think that happens, and he has the Liberty QB going first among them.

​​​​​​
      Willis is amazing, raw but amazing. I am biased though that is my school.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

My handicapping for the Bolts #17 in order.

15. Jermaine Johnson, edge, Florida State (6-4, 259)

Johnson went to Mobile as the top defensive player on the roster and left the same way, dominating throughout the week. The Georgia transfer bet on himself and became the alpha of the Seminoles’ defensive line in 2021, leading the ACC in tackles for loss (18.0) and sacks (12.0). Johnson has the length, agility and active hands that lead to disruption as both a pass rusher and run defender and projects as an every-down NFL starter.

21. George Karlaftis, edge, Purdue (6-4, 268)

Born and raised in Athens, Greece, Karlaftis moved to the United States and adopted football as his go-to sport, finishing his college career with 30.5 tackles for loss over 27 games. His hands are not only physical and violent, but they’re well timed and strategic to get the offense off schedule. You wish his arms were longer and he had more twitch in his movements, but Karlaftis has NFL power, effort and hand work to break down the rhythm of blockers.

19. Trevor Penning, OT, Northern Iowa (6-7, 330)

Coming from the FCS level, Penning is still raw in several areas, which was clear during Senior Bowl practices. But tackles with his combination of size, length (almost 35-inch arms), power and athleticism are uncommon. Penning also loves to play pissed off, and his compete skills will translate well to the pro game.

12. Trent McDuffie, CB, Washington (5-11, 195)

McDuffie shut down opposing receivers on his 2021 tape and is very well-liked among NFL scouts. There are a few things working against him — he has ordinary size and ball production (10 passes defended and two interceptions in 28 games played). But McDuffie is a composed, springy athlete (will jump somewhere in the low 40-inches in the vertical) with the cover awareness to be a long-time NFL cover man.

18. Andrew Booth Jr., CB, Clemson (6-0, 193)

There is volatility to Booth’s game, which comes with the territory of playing cornerback with an aggressive mindset. He has room to improve his feel for spacing, but Booth plays with three important ingredients to playing the position at a high level: fluid athleticism, the ability to find the football and catch point disruption skills. Plug him into a man-heavy scheme and let him continue to grow.

Edge has higher positional value than RT, so I put them first. I don't think Johnson will be there, so I think Karlaftis will be at the top of the Bolt's board. I'd make him our most probable pick. I'd take Ojabo in an instant, but I don't believe that he will be there either.

Penning is a nasty tone setter, yeah, I'd love to get him.

If the edges and Penning are gone, I think it will be best CB available.

I'd love to take WR too, but this is not the year with so many other needs.
        Last edited by Formula 21; 02-15-2022, 04:12 PM.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

My short list 17:

Wilson
          Johnson
          Gardner
          JWilliams

Good chance more than a couple of these players make it to 17, I view all of them as immediate plug and play types that will make the team better for a very long time (and pretty much regardless of what we do in FA). Don’t want to “fix habits” or “develop new skills” at 17 (not that these players like all rookies can’t grow, duh), that’s for rounds 2 and later. Nice we don’t have any real strong need except the entire D lol, if all were there I suppose I’d go with Johnson, as he helps with what ails us the most.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Yeah I wasn't trying for zero Factorial... zero = 0 is what I meant. just doesn't matter which way you spin it on Bulaga... we just have to move on to save our sanity!
            Me too. I would have cut Bulaga last summer.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Agree they shouldn't.
              Chad Rueter just put out a 3 round mock and has 5 QBs going in the first round.

Needless to say I don't think that happens, and he has the Liberty QB going first among them.

​​​​​​
              Brugler has 5 QBs in the 31-41 range. It makes sense for a bad team in the bottom of the 2nd to trade up into the back of the 1st to get that 5th year option on a qb. Plus their choice of QB. And maybe 1 or 2 of those guys can become a quality starter.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• equivocation
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2021
                • Send PM

I like Brugler's list. And edge in the 1st (Johnson, Karlaftis, Walker) DT in the 2nd (Jones, Winfrey, Mathis) and OT in the 3rd (Mitchell, Lucas) would fit me fine.

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                  I like Brugler's list. And edge in the 1st (Johnson, Karlaftis, Walker) DT in the 2nd (Jones, Winfrey, Mathis) and OT in the 3rd (Mitchell, Lucas) would fit me fine.
                  Okay, now, that makes way too much sense.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2021
                    • Send PM

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                      That would be one heck of a draft. And it's possible.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Last year's final draft grades. TT was the "Worst in the West." Again. At least TT lucked into an outstanding OLT to save his job.

2021 NFL rookie grades, AFC West: Chiefs, Broncos hit the jackpot

Published: Feb 15, 2022 at 12:32 PM

Nick ShookAround The NFL Writer

Nick Bolton SURGES into backfield to get TFL on Bills' stretch-run play

Super Bowl LVI's in the books, ending the longest season in NFL history. How did the new guys perform in the expanded 285-game slate? Gennaro Filice and Nick Shook are taking a division-by-division look at each team's rookie class, providing grades and analysis on Year 1 production. Shook examines the AFC West below.

Grade
                        A

Kansas City ChiefsRound 2 Round 4 Round 5 Round 6

Kansas City's grade is all about maximizing picks. The Chiefs sent their first-round pick in 2021 and other selections to Baltimore to acquire left tackle Orlando Brown (assets well spent), then nailed their second-round pick by choosing Bolton, a Pro Football Writers of America All-Rookie Team selection who graded out as the 13th-best linebacker in the league, per Pro Football Focus. Kansas City followed that up by finding its center of the future in Humphrey, who began his NFL career by performing better than any other player at the position, per PFF. He also earned PFWA All-Rookie honors. Kaindoh missed most of his rookie season, having landed on injured reserve in early October with an ankle injury. Gray saw some playing time at tight end behind Travis Kelce and Blake Bell while also playing special teams regularly. Powell was cut at the end of camp and returned as a practice squad member before signing a reserve/future contract in February. And finally, a premier Day 3 find came in the form of Smith, who teamed with Humphrey and Joe Thuney to make an excellent interior trio. Smith also earned PFWA All-Rookie recognition and will be an important part of Kansas City's offensive line for years to come.

Grade
                        A-

Denver BroncosRound 1Round 2 Round 3 Round 5 Round 6 Round 7

Well, the Broncos certainly knocked their first two picks out of the park. Surtain quickly validated Denver's selection with his first career interception in Week 2. He finished with four picks, made the PFWA All-Rookie Team and was PFF's 41st-graded corner in 2021, just behind Colts Pro Bowler Kenny Moore. Williams is Denver's long-term answer at running back, having averaged 4.4 yards per carry while scoring seven scrimmage touchdowns and breaking 1,200 scrimmage yards. Meinerz has a promising future ahead of him after appearing in 15 games (nine starts) and earning a top-40 PFF grade among guards. Browning was an effective player, transitioning from a special-teams contributor to a starter from Week 8 onward. Sterns figures to replace Kareem Jackson (33 years old and headed for free agency) going forward, and he showed potential with a couple of interceptions in 2021. Johnson appeared in three games solely as a special-teams player. Williams appeared in two games, catching one pass for 34 yards. Vincent was shipped to Philadelphia ahead of the trade deadline. Cooper was a nice Day 3 discovery, tallying 38 tackles (four for loss) and 2.5 sacks as a rotational player while also filling a special teams role. Spencer was released as part of final cuts before joining the practice squad and signing a reserve/future contract in January.

Grade
                        B+

Las Vegas RaidersRound 1 Round 2 Round 3 Round 4 Round 5 Round 7

The Raiders' biggest swing and miss came with their most valuable pick. Most everyone saw Leatherwood as a player who was taken ahead of where his evaluation suggested he should have been, and he ended up playing as such, eventually moving to guard (where he appeared to be a better fit) during his rookie season. As for the rest of the class, a good portion stepped up at different times. Moehrig was an effective player for nearly the entire season, finishing with a top-25 PFF grade among all safeties (ahead of the likes of Jeremy Chinn, Juan Thornhill and Kyle Dugger) while earning PFWA All-Rookie honors. Deablo progressed from a special teams player to a starting linebacker right around the time the Raiders began their frantic playoff push and should be penciled in as a starter in 2022. Koonce was another late bloomer, not seeing the field until Week 13 but recording a sack in each of his first two NFL games. Gillespie played just 13 defensive snaps, filling a special teams role. Hobbs was an excellent late-round find, but the good vibes from his impressive rookie season were overshadowed by off-field issues in early 2022. Morrissey was released during final cuts and ended up being signed off the Raiders' practice squad by Houston in October; he appeared in five games with the Texans.

Grade
                        B

Los Angeles ChargersRound 1 Round 2 Round 3 Round 4 Round 5 Round 6 Round 7

The debate between Slater and Penei Sewell, who was ultimately the first tackle selected, taken seventh overall by Detroit, didn't gain a ton of steam during the draft process, but after one season of play, they're a lot closer than most likely expected. Slater was a stellar tackle from the start of his NFL career, finishing as the eighth-highest-graded tackle in the league (Sewell was 23rd) and earning PFWA All-Rookie Team honors. The Chargers now have a trustworthy tackle in place to protect Justin Herbert. Samuel began his NFL career on a strong note but ended up fighting through a tumultuous season that included time missed due to injury. Palmer finished fifth on the team in targets (49) and put up strong production when helping to fill in for Keenan Allen and Mike Williams down the stretch. McKitty saw a decent amount of snaps as a rookie but caught just six passes for 45 yards. Rumph was a rotational player who spent most of his time behind Uchenna Nwosu, recording 19 tackles (two for loss) and one sack in 16 games. Jaimes saw minimal action, largely on special teams. Speaking of special teams, Niemann was a standout in that phase of the game, leading the Bolts in special teams snaps and earning PFWA All-Rookie Team honors for his efforts. Rountree played a supplemental role behind Austin Ekeler, Joshua Kelley and Justin Jackson, totaling 36 carries for 87 yards and one touchdown on the year. Webb spent his first season almost exclusively on special teams before landing on injured reserve in November.

Build Back Better.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post
                          Are we talking about drafting an RT ?... sorry guys but we are waiting on Bryan Bulaga...
                          Bold statement.

If he returns back to form with the Chargers, he will play part of 9 games next year.
                          Tough decision to be made on that one.

Comment

Working...
                          X