• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AK47
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

This is the reason I want to shore up RT in FA now…so we can draft BPA, regardless of position (except QB of course). We’re so fucking close to being in that position. It’s hugely advantageous.

An absolute stud WILL get his opportunities to make big plays.

For example, it seems like we’re set at EDGE, but we all know Bosa gets gassed and Mack isn’t a spring chicken either. A steady rotation of Bosa, Mack AND JJ3 or Karlaftis would work wonders. Just look at Buffalo and all the investments they’ve made at EDGE. In today’s game 2 guys just isn’t enough.

DBs too. Staley litters the field with em and injuries are a real thing, so if a player like McDuffie or Booth or Daxton are the BPA, I’d like to grab them even though we’ve got solid starters already.

WR and LB too, looking at Jameson, Olave and Lloyd, maybe even Dean.

Not forgetting Jordan Davis, though I know some of you will scoff. If he’s the BPA, he’s the BPA.

I’d even say RB, but this draft doesn’t have anyone worthy of #17. Was hoping for Breece Hall in R2, but unless there’s a trade, ain’t gonna happen.
    Based on those SB winning teams' first picks being all specific and all is why drafting Jordan Davis makes sense (as an example). A team like the lowly Texans and a well coached team like the Pats gave us our worse losses via running the ball up the gut. SB bound teams merely view their picks as accessories on the way to a party anyways.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
      Draftnik
      • Oct 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Based on those SB winning teams' first picks being all specific and all is why drafting Jordan Davis makes sense (as an example). A team like the lowly Texans and a well coached team like the Pats gave us our worse losses via running the ball up the gut. SB bound teams merely view their picks as accessories on the way to a party anyways.
      Yep, a guy like big daddy Davis, along with our recent additions would solve our run D for years to come.

At the same time, hitting on a stud CB would give us a lockdown DB group for the next 5 years.

And all the while, getting a nasty edge rusher would make out pass rush dangerous for the foreseeable future.

But getting bookend tackles for Herbatron’s future would be an extremely solid investment.

All those options are tremendous, but they’ll only be actualized if we hit the pick.

BPA or bust.
      Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Parcells
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
        Chargers IOL last year (Player)/(Cap Hit)/PFF

(Feiler)/($5 mil)/(74)
        (Linsley)/($6.6 mil)/(85.7)
        (Aboushi)/($1.6 mil)/(68.2)

Maybe it's best to build your IOL through FA...
        There’s a real argument here. Building through the draft at premium positions allows you to save more money relative to what they would cost on the open market. It’s why a rookie QB deal is the biggest advantage in the NFL. It’s also why I really think we should consider Jameson Williams if he falls. Not only does he give us the element of speed that we lack, but he makes it easier to move on from Keenan in a year or two which represents massive cap savings. If Jameson is a stud and Palmer continues to develop, I think a receiving core of MWill, Jameson (or Chris Olave), and Palmer is a very competitive receiving core and can be put together without eating up a ton of cap space, at least for a couple years.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
          Beef Before Gazelles
          • May 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

Yep, a guy like big daddy Davis, along with our recent additions would solve our run D for years to come.

At the same time, hitting on a stud CB would give us a lockdown DB group for the next 5 years.

And all the while, getting a nasty edge rusher would make out pass rush dangerous for the foreseeable future.

But getting bookend tackles for Herbatron’s future would be an extremely solid investment.

All those options are tremendous, but they’ll only be actualized if we hit the pick.

BPA or bust.
          Yes. Bottom line is that the pick must be a *HIT*, no matter what position that player plays.

The Chargers have historically *not* hit on 1st round corners, from Mossy Cade to Antoine Cason to Jason Verret.

At #17, though, there will most likely be a no-brainer available. We just don't know who it is that's going to fall to #17 a represent a huge value there, although it could easily be a wideout.

Comment

• chargeroo
            Fan since 1961
            • Jan 2019
            • Oregon
            • Retired Manager/Pastor
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Yes. Bottom line is that the pick must be a *HIT*, no matter what position that player plays.

The Chargers have historically *not* hit on 1st round corners, from Mossy Cade to Antoine Cason to Jason Verret.

At #17, though, there will most likely be a no-brainer available. We just don't know who it is that's going to fall to #17 a represent a huge value there, although it could easily be a wideout.
            Not a need.

THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• equivocation
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
              Chargers IOL last year (Player)/(Cap Hit)/PFF

(Feiler)/($5 mil)/(74)
              (Linsley)/($6.6 mil)/(85.7)
              (Aboushi)/($1.6 mil)/(68.2)

Maybe it's best to build your IOL through FA...
              100% agree. Build IOL and IDL through FA, it's the best bang for the buck.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

Would you trade back into the 2nd round to draft Michigan State RB Kenneth Walker III? Or maybe there is a team that wants to trade up to the Bolts No. 17 pick in the 1st round, and Telesco gets a 2nd rounder out of it - would you draft Walker (expected to go about #50 overall) with that pick, assuming it's early enough? Walker has good size (210 lbs) to speed (4.38) ratio. He would instantly make the Chargers' RB corps a formidable force and make the offense pretty much unstoppable.

Comment

• electricgold
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2020
                  • Send PM

Mel Kieper has us drafting Penning at #17 I say unless a top CB or DE like Johnson falls pull the trigger on this and shore up this OLINE, once and for all!

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Dont misunderstand me....Big Z fan...and I dont get hung up on picking a guard in the first...just recognizing its much harder, and usually lucky, to get a probowl tackle later in the draft, vs a guard...so maybe that can dictate a board? I dont know...but in the specific scenario where there is a plan in place for RT, be it Feiler or a FA pickup, and Zion is there, it would be a great pick. Conversely, if we dont have a RT plan, other than Pip, you gotta be looking hard at penning and raimann....especially without a second round pick. But that is how I see it.

By the way, recently dug into the tape...K Green vs Zion...K is a little more tenacious, Zion a better technician with great adjustment to stunts....Zion breaks the tie with incredible physical traits, but if we actually pick a guard in the first, either one of these guys would be great.

By the way....Zion reportedly has super football IQ, and was snapping the ball at senior bowl practice....G/C versatility?
                    dude is smart and all that, and.... don't think he has the mindset/mentality for a center.... think you just let him play guard and let him do his thing.

and think he could play tackle in a pinch, but think he's a guard.... a Pro Bowl guard @that.

and it's easy to pencil him in @17, if it's true that Pittsburgh has met w/him 5x and is considering him @20 ?? that is an org that drafted DeCastro @23 if I recall correctly.

the hesitation for me is that he looked silly a coupla few times against Travis Jones @the SB.... still think he's good, but do think he has some work ahead of him before he comes into his own.

would def not take the risk on Raimann, and as mentioned before, have zero interest in Penning.... think he's gonna be avg, and leave us again as the ho hum .500 team Tommy Johns.

still think receiver is the best get for value @17, but do understand how others prefer to pick based on our most pressing needs.... myself, am not sold on the MW and Khalil strategems, and would have no problem going edge or wideout @17.... along w/Zion as well, if Oline is that much the priority.

Comment

• equivocation
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2021
                      • Send PM

I would rather draft a natural RT than count on converting a LT. It's not nearly as easy as people seem to think it is.

Unless it's Cross.

Comment

• AK47
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                        I would rather draft a natural RT than count on converting a LT. It's not nearly as easy as people seem to think it is.

Unless it's Cross.
                        I see what you did there even when you don't? Cross at LT crossing over to RT?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

This is the reason I want to shore up RT in FA now…so we can draft BPA, regardless of position (except QB of course). We’re so fucking close to being in that position. It’s hugely advantageous.

An absolute stud WILL get his opportunities to make big plays.

For example, it seems like we’re set at EDGE, but we all know Bosa gets gassed and Mack isn’t a spring chicken either. A steady rotation of Bosa, Mack AND JJ3 or Karlaftis would work wonders. Just look at Buffalo and all the investments they’ve made at EDGE. In today’s game 2 guys just isn’t enough.

DBs too. Staley litters the field with em and injuries are a real thing, so if a player like McDuffie or Booth or Daxton are the BPA, I’d like to grab them even though we’ve got solid starters already.

WR and LB too, looking at Jameson, Olave and Lloyd, maybe even Dean.

Not forgetting Jordan Davis, though I know some of you will scoff. If he’s the BPA, he’s the BPA.

I’d even say RB, but this draft doesn’t have anyone worthy of #17. Was hoping for Breece Hall in R2, but unless there’s a trade, ain’t gonna happen.
                          I am right there with you on Breece Hall. It seems like he would have been a perfect #2 or #1b when paired with Ekeler. He has the size we want that Ekeler lacks and the speed that Gordon never had. He has good hands as a receiver too.

I do not want us taking Dean, but wonder about our failure to re-sign White. We sure as heck are not going to trust Murray at this point unless we are stupid. So, it is either White or we need to draft a day one starter based upon our roster right now. I feel a little better about Lloyd than Dean, but do not like either as our round one choice.

To me, it should be either Penning or Davis if both are on the board. Penning seems like less risk than Davis, which is why I prefer him. That said, if Davis can stay on the field in terms of his stamina and not be fat (play at something like 325 pounds), he has the potential to be an absolute superstar. It's just that he also has the potential to be a bust if he can only play 30% of the team's snaps and struggles with his weight. And we won't get that mess with Penning.

I would not flip out if we took an EDGE player, but I am concerned that we have not satisfactorily addressed the DT, RT, and ILB positions even with the moves that we have made so far.

Comment

Working...
                          X