• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
    Still thinking Davis is in our cluster at 17, why not start Johnson/SJD/Davis in the 3-4 D Staley wants to run? Tillery rotates in on passing downs, as he should.
    The heaviest NT Staley ever had was Eddie Goldman @325 lbs. The FA signings of Sebastian Joseph-Day, Austin Johnson, and Christian Covington indicates that Staley has his IDL rotation pretty much set. Remember that the modern 3-4 is closer to a 4-2-5. Chargers were in nickel/slot formations close 95% of the time last year (highest percentage in the NFL I believe).

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post

There isn’t gonna be anybody at 17 worth taking to play RT. That’s the problem. We’re going to massively overdraft to take a RT.
      Most draft sites have Trevor Penning or Bernard Raimann @#17. Either one of those guys are BPA @#17. Your OL is only as good as your weakest link. Right now, that's Storm Norton/Trey Pipkins...

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by JupiterBolt View Post
        The one player I keep thinking about is Marcus Jones from U of Houston. I see him as a dime CB and he could take over return duties immediately!
        Currently, he's my third-round target. He's a good back-up slot (if ASJ gets hurt again). And like you said, he's an excellent KR/PR.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
          Fluent in Sarcasm
          • Jun 2013
          • Iowa
          • Man of the People
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

If you can get someone solid there, and pass up on a better player....than that will not so much be a problem.
          When you are trying to fill out the final missing pieces on a roster, you do those things.

The problem resides in thinking that drafting a tackle (Penning) at #17 solves your problems lets say over the next two years.
          It doesn't.

Don't draft an OT and Pip (or heaven help us, Storm) will be the starting RT.
          Draft Penning and Pipkens still has a decent shot of being your starting RT.

I will say it again: Lucas is more NFL ready than Penning. I would feel comfortable sticking him out there over the next two - three years.
          Those are prime 'window' years.
          Agreed, which is why I think FA is still the best route to cover RT during those window years. Billy Turner, Daryl Williams, David Quessenberry, or even Germaine Ifedi would all be improvements over Storm that can provide at least adequate protection on the right side. Plus if we are having Jaimes start at RG I would like him sandwiched between 2 players with NFL experience instead of having 2 first time starters on the right side.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

The Chargers never trade down under Telesco and they don’t have the draft capital to trade up this year without a #2 pick. That said, they are doing a lot of stuff they normally don’t do so who knows what they do. Taking Williams at 17 is a nice luxury but not going to help the team in 2022, he wouldn’t even be available until halfway thru the season and then what? Is he going to be ready compete, how long will it take him to become a factor? I think he’ll need until 2023 to build chemistry, learn the offense, etc…

Staley likes to draft production, tape, and versatility over measurables. He likes players that can play all three downs, inside or outside, the run and the pass, pass block and run block etc…

IMO, they’re going to sit tight and see who falls to 17, 79, etc…at 17 they’re going to take someone that can play right away so much depends on who they view as that guy. Is it d wyatt, z johnson, davis, k green? Chances are it’s not going to be sexy pick, but they're going to find someone that'll come in and play right away and fill a starting role on either offensive line or defensive line.
            "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• electricgold
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2020
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Most draft sites have Trevor Penning or Bernard Raimann @#17. Either one of those guys are BPA @#17. Your OL is only as good as your weakest link. Right now, that's Storm Norton/Trey Pipkins...
              Post of the day!

Comment

• electricgold
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2020
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
                The Chargers never trade down under Telesco and they don’t have the draft capital to trade up this year without a #2 pick. That said, they are doing a lot of stuff they normally don’t do so who knows what they do. Taking Williams at 17 is a nice luxury but not going to help the team in 2022, he wouldn’t even be available until halfway thru the season and then what? Is he going to be ready compete, how long will it take him to become a factor? I think he’ll need until 2023 to build chemistry, learn the offense, etc…

Staley likes to draft production, tape, and versatility over measurables. He likes players that can play all three downs, inside or outside, the run and the pass, pass block and run block etc…

IMO, they’re going to sit tight and see who falls to 17, 79, etc…at 17 they’re going to take someone that can play right away so much depends on who they view as that guy. Is it d wyatt, z johnson, davis, k green? Chances are it’s not going to be sexy pick, but they're going to find someone that'll come in and play right away and fill a starting role on either offensive line or defensive line.
                All bets are off on how or what TT will do in this draft! "His job is on the line this time" I wouldn't mind it if we traded next years 1 or 2 draft pick to move up in the top 2 rounds to get more picks.

Comment

• Parcells
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I don’t see Raimann or Penning as NFL ready pass protectors. If we end up with one I’d love to be proven wrong, and I am strongly in favor building the trenches, but I just don’t see the value as being there at 17.

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post

Cool,so whos our RT protecting the most important player on the whole team again?
                    Not advocating for Davis, just saying I could understand the pick depending who’s available.

Comment

• Parcells
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

The Chargers never trade down under Telesco and they don’t have the draft capital to trade up this year without a #2 pick.
                      What about the last ten days at resembles what we’ve done under Telesco in the last decade? I would throw out past behavior at this point.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                        Fluent in Sarcasm
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Iowa
                        • Man of the People
                        • Send PM

FWIW, Williams had surgery mid February and was given a 5-7 month recovery time table, which he is reportedly ahead of schedule on. Has already been without crutches or a brace for a month. Obviously no guarantees where injuries are concerned but that time table puts him at around mid-September for a full return on the pessimistic side of things. Obviously would need to get back into football shape from there but it does sound like he’d be available closer to the start of the season than mid season.

I’m completely fine going a number of directions with the first pick, I just have the feeling this draft might come down to a WR being the value pick at 17. Personally I only see RT and RG missing clear cut starters on either side of the ball, well and a punter but that’s not happening round 1. Everyone always has their guys and/or positions that they want come the draft but I hope everyone is feeling flexible this year cause I think you’re going to see a lot of BPA to add quality depth across the board.

Comment

• Parcells
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

FWIW, Williams had surgery mid February and was given a 5-7 month recovery time table, which he is reportedly ahead of schedule on. Has already been without crutches or a brace for a month. Obviously no guarantees where injuries are concerned but that time table puts him at around mid-September for a full return on the pessimistic side of things. Obviously would need to get back into football shape from there but it does sound like he’d be available closer to the start of the season than mid season.

I’m completely fine going a number of directions with the first pick, I just have the feeling this draft might come down to a WR being the value pick at 17. Personally I only see RT and RG missing clear cut starters on either side of the ball, well and a punter but that’s not happening round 1. Everyone always has their guys and/or positions that they want come the draft but I hope everyone is feeling flexible this year cause I think you’re going to see a lot of BPA to add quality depth across the board.
                          Keenan Allen is much closer to the end than the beginning of his career. If we can grab an elite WR to pair with Herbert, I think we will look back and see it as having been a no brainer. Staley spoke at the combine about wanting to add speed to our WR corp. I would love Jameson Williams and even be very excited about Chris Olave.

Comment

Working...
                          X