• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

We'll get to see if Campbell is indeed a starting slot/CB. Our CB's have gone through periods where they're dinged up.

Thanks for the list of later round CB's. The only one I've taken a serious look at is Tomlinson. A bit undersized... but good coverage skills.
    Thanks for the homework!
    Well, the Vikings helped us answer that question... no late rounder, please.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
      Draftnik
      • Oct 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Day three guy imo and im talking 4th on down. I watched last nights game against UNLV and he did next to nothing. He did get 1 sack but he was unblocked on a missed assignment and other than that, no pressure or a QB hit. Did see him make a tackle for a loss once on a rush play.

I came in during the late first quarter though. IDK, he didnt impress me any and dont envision him beating NFL caliber OTs while struggling against UNLV OTs. Immediate NFL Impact? Big doubts. Need to see more of him though, but he didnt look good last night. against a bad team.

Another name to add to the Edge list is Will McDonald of Iowa st.
      I watched it too, and several others. Did you notice that Thomas was fighting double teams all game? Did you see him creating clear lanes the the QB on LB blitz packages? Squeezing the hole on run blocks? The role he plays is a big reason UNLV ran for .8 yards per carry.

Maybe it wasn’t Thomas’ best game but, I’ve seen him go off on much better teams.

Thomas has 9.5 sacks as a DE in in a 3-3-5, and they aren’t all against Hawaii, lol. His best games are vs the better opponents. He’s the most dominant run defender on a defense that’s #1 against the run—in all of college football. That says a lot.
      Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
        Draftnik
        • Oct 2020
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Well, the Vikings helped us answer that question... no late rounder, please.
        Wasn’t he mostly playing outside because of Michael Davis’ injury? Campbell’s better as a nickel. I see him possibly taking over for CHJ next year.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Aztec is Kiper Top 20.
          Poor Man's Aidan.
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

I watched it too, and several others. Did you notice that Thomas was fighting double teams all game? Did you see him creating clear lanes the the QB on LB blitz packages? Squeezing the hole on run blocks? The role he plays is a big reason UNLV ran for .8 yards per carry.

Maybe it wasn’t Thomas’ best game but, I’ve seen him go off on much better teams.

Thomas has 9.5 sacks as a DE in in a 3-3-5, and they aren’t all against Hawaii, lol. His best games are vs the better opponents. He’s the most dominant run defender on a defense that’s #1 against the run—in all of college football. That says a lot.
            Saw him doubled at times. Definitly want to see more and will go back to see more but to mention one better team, he had zero sacks against Utah in a OT game. His best game was against Nevada.
            Ive seen him in limited action, just the 2 games but dont see a 2nd rounder there or immediate impact NFL player. But a player with potentual for sure.

I think as a pass rusher Will McDonald has more potentual in the Big 12 being a better conference,.......but not sure where id place him yet right now. Thinking 3rd right now. Need to go back and see more of him too. He has now 2 seasons of good production from the Edge. Want to look more at his rush defense, i know he can rush the passer.

Looking for an overall player and your right Thomas plays the rush pretty good but in an easier conference. So right, not all against Hawaii. It was also against Towson, Air Force, San Jose st, New Mexico st (0 sacks),....you know the conference.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
              Draftnik
              • Oct 2020
              • Send PM

Saw him doubled at times. Definitly want to see more and will go back to see more but to mention one better team, he had zero sacks against Utah in a OT game. His best game was against Nevada.
              Ive seen him in limited action, just the 2 games but dont see a 2nd rounder there or immediate impact NFL player. But a player with potentual for sure.

I think as a pass rusher Will McDonald has more potentual in the Big 12 being a better conference,.......but not sure where id place him yet right now. Thinking 3rd right now. Need to go back and see more of him too. He has now 2 seasons of good production from the Edge. Want to look more at his rush defense, i know he can rush the passer.

Looking for an overall player and your right Thomas plays the rush pretty good but in an easier conference. So right, not all against Hawaii. It was also against Towson, Air Force, San Jose st, New Mexico st (0 sacks),....you know the conference.
              Do you think sacks are the only way to judge a defensive lineman? Drawing conclusions from a box score is bush-league, especially for defensive players. Utah is the best team in the PAC12, and it was one of Thomas’ better games. Watch it before you talk about it. He was all over the place.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Do you think sacks are the only way to judge a defensive lineman? Drawing conclusions from a box score is bush-league, especially for defensive players. Utah is the best team in the PAC12, and it was one of Thomas’ better games. Watch it before you talk about it. He was all over the place.
                C Mon now, of course not. Just things i look for. One being opponents and who they are going up against and in his case, the OTs.

Still, ....Im not drawing a conclusion, and im not adament about my opinion, just giving it,... but when the schedule is mostly weak opponents, a guy you say is a 2nd rounder and an immediate impact player in the NFL, he should be dominating and I just dont see his game translating to an immediate NFL impact level. He has potentual sure. SDSU potentual im a big skeptic as a very small handful have done well in the NFL.....even when we had good teams. You never know how players pick up their game or adjust to the higher level league but right now, i dont see it.

Im far from done looking at pass rushers as a whole and far from done with conclusions. Thats just my early opinion and see a little handful with a higher opinion at this stage. And its still early even if we are in Nov.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                  Draftnik
                  • Oct 2020
                  • Send PM

C Mon now, of course not. Just things i look for. One being opponents and who they are going up against and in his case, the OTs.

Still, ....Im not drawing a conclusion, and im not adament about my opinion, just giving it,... but when the schedule is mostly weak opponents, a guy you say is a 2nd rounder and an immediate impact player in the NFL, he should be dominating and I just dont see his game translating to an immediate NFL impact level. He has potentual sure. SDSU potentual im a big skeptic as a very small handful have done well in the NFL.....even when we had good teams. You never know how players pick up their game or adjust to the higher level league but right now, i dont see it.

Im far from done looking at pass rushers as a whole and far from done with conclusions. Thats just my early opinion and see a little handful with a higher opinion at this stage. And its still early even if we are in Nov.
                  See^ that’s where you and I don’t see eye to eye.

He doesn’t align wide like the typical edge players you’re trying to compare him to.

Make no mistake, 9.5 sacks and 18 TFLs is dominating from the 4i.

And that doesn’t account for all the non-stat intangibles (collapsing pockets, drawn double teams, drawn holding penalties, stops within 2 yards of the LOS, etc.) 4i is a less glorified position in the box score, but Thomas plays it better than any other college player.

Utah (who just put up 200+ rushing yards against #4Oregon) was held to 80 yards vs SDSU. Why? The biggest reason was CT. It’s the reason SDSU won that game.

Thomas’ skill set is extremely valuable to a team that can’t stop the run, like the Chargers, which is why I put him on my list.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

See^ that’s where you and I don’t see eye to eye.

He doesn’t align wide like the typical edge players you’re trying to compare him to.

Make no mistake, 9.5 sacks and 18 TFLs is dominating from the 4i.

And that doesn’t account for all the non-stat intangibles (collapsing pockets, drawn double teams, drawn holding penalties, stops within 2 yards of the LOS, etc.) 4i is a less glorified position in the box score, but Thomas plays it better than any other college player.

Utah (who just put up 200+ rushing yards against #4Oregon) was held to 80 yards vs SDSU. Why? The biggest reason was CT. It’s the reason SDSU won that game.

Thomas’ skill set is extremely valuable to a team that can’t stop the run, like the Chargers, which is why I put him on my list.
                    Ok, I'll take a closer look with this in mind.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

In today’s game, the answer is yes. Everything else is secondary.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

In today’s game, the answer is yes. Everything else is secondary.
                        Well, Cameron Thomas can kick inside on passing downs. He provides consistent Hurries from different positions on the Dline. And the EDGE must be set, especially with these mobile QBs coming into vogue.

Personally, I like this prospect.
                        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                          Pretty much retired......
                          • Sep 2018
                          • JoJa
                          • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                          • Send PM

Been playing a lot on the PFN draft simulator as of late. There are a LOT of RB's available in the 6th and 7th rounds consistently. Tyler Badie, James Cook, Zamir White & Pierre Strong have all been there in the 7th in quite a few of my mocks. I would gladly load up on a couple of these guys and turn the RB room upside down behind Austin.

Comment

Working...
                          X