• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Well there are often 3 or 4 CBs on the field, so #3 plays alot and teams without 3 good DBs can be susceptible to pass. #4 WR doesnt even get his shoes dirty most games unless he spilled Gatorade on them over by the trainers table
    Except in late game 4 WR sets, when we are 50/50 win/lose cuz we can’t make that game-winning TD. And we will have more if those games in 2022, bank on it. Having another top receiver for Herbert to target in those crunch times can equate to more wins IMO, maybe more than any other addition to the team at this point.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
      I enjoy that no one questions drafting a #3/#4 CB in the first but you mention drafting a #3 WR and it’s simply too much resources into one position group. Who exactly are all these high draft pick and big money FA CBs covering?
      Assorted WRs, TEs & RBs.
      We have more proven quality receivers ( KA, MW, Ek) than proven quality DBs (DJ, Mr INT). 'Sante, Vato, Nas flirt with pos quality but have yet to prove it on the field consistently.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Well there are often 3 or 4 CBs on the field, so #3 plays alot and teams without 3 good DBs can be susceptible to pass. #4 WR doesnt even get his shoes dirty most games unless he spilled Gatorade on them over by the trainers table
        NFL teams consider the 3rd CB the 11th starter on D. Every NFL team tries to have at LEAST 3 good CB, if not more. So I have NO IDEA what a team without 3 good DB thing means.

We play 11 personnel on MOST downs, and our 4th WR last year was Palmer, and he started how many games? No idea what you mean by the #4WR desn't get his shoes dirty, since they do. At some point, Allen, Williams or Guyton is going to get hurt (or Palmer if he displaces Guyton), and the 4th guy will have to play A LOT. Plus, with Herbert's arm, you might just want someone who can give one of the top 3 WR a breather when they just ran a go or skinny post.

It's worth remembering what a "waste" it was drafting KA in the 3rd, because WR was such a strength, and then he was our critical because of how injuries decimated the WR corp that year.

I'm not saying we HAVE to upgrade the spot, but I certainly wouldn't rule it out, even though I am pretty comfortable with who we have.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Samuel is going to play the slot this year, which is where he belongs. McDuffie is an inch taller and about 13 pounds heavier than Samuel. At 5'11" and 193 pounds, McDuffie is averaged sized for a CB. He is virtually identical in size to Casey Hayward (same height, McDuffie is one pound heavier). And the fact that McDuffie could fill in for Samuel in the slot makes him a better pick, not a worse one as that would allow Davis to play CB2 if Samuel is injured.

Regarding Jameson Williams, it is very simple. Allen and Mike Williams dominate Herbert's WR targets. Barring injury, they will get their 280+ combined targets. The rest of the WRs combined had 104 targets with 97 of those split almost evenly (49 and 48) between Palmer and Guyton. Now add in that Carter will probably get about 20-25 targets in packages designed for him, which is about half of the number of targets he had for WFT last year. Under these circumstances, I do not see Jameson Williams getting more targets than Palmer had last year even though I think he is a better player than Palmer.

The key concept is that last year we essentially had 4 WRs and a dedicated return only player at the WR position. This year's KR/PR had 44 targets last year playing for WFT, so he is not a return man only type player. We have actual 5 WRs right now. Jameson Williams would make that number 6. If the betting proposition is targets being divided among 6 receivers versus being divided among 4, I am taking the under for a reserve WR's share this year versus last year in the 6 WR scenario.

And while I think Jameson Williams is overrated, that belief is largely irrelevant to the analysis set forth above unless the rookie WR is so great that he is going to come in and take a bunch of targets away from Allen and Williams, which I strongly suspect is simply not going to happen.
          And thats if you don’t count Reed, often described in these parts as a poor man’s Deebo.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve View Post

NFL teams consider the 3rd CB the 11th starter on D. Every NFL team tries to have at LEAST 3 good CB, if not more. So I have NO IDEA what a team without 3 good DB thing means.

We play 11 personnel on MOST downs, and our 4th WR last year was Palmer, and he started how many games? No idea what you mean by the #4WR desn't get his shoes dirty, since they do. At some point, Allen, Williams or Guyton is going to get hurt (or Palmer if he displaces Guyton), and the 4th guy will have to play A LOT. Plus, with Herbert's arm, you might just want someone who can give one of the top 3 WR a breather when they just ran a go or skinny post.

It's worth remembering what a "waste" it was drafting KA in the 3rd, because WR was such a strength, and then he was our critical because of how injuries decimated the WR corp that year.

I'm not saying we HAVE to upgrade the spot, but I certainly wouldn't rule it out, even though I am pretty comfortable with who we have.
            Yes, I agree that we had WR depth on paper, but Allen represented great value. Some considered Allen, correctly as it would later be shown, as a first round talent. So that seems like it was more about KA's value than it was about his position. First round talents that can be selected in third round are desirable.

Comment

• equivocation
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2021
              • Send PM

I just glanced through a 7 round mock and there a bunch of players I really like still around in the 5th. This is a good draft for volume.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Likewise, CB #4 doesn't get his hands dirty unless the coach really needs him on the field on D. The 4th and/or 5th CBs contribute on special teams.

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I'd be happy if the team got an upgrade over Michael Davis to go opposite of JC Jackson. But then you'll have to put someone from the CB unit on special teams. Making tackles on the special teams coverage units will have its toll. Are you okay with Michael Davis being on the special teams coverage units? Or being on the return units, or field goal blocking unit?

What the team is missing is another safety who can play the nickelback role like when the team had Arian Phillips back then. It would give room for DJ to operate at his best. None of the backup safeties currently on the roster give people confidence or belief that they can do the job.

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Pitre. If you want to draft need at 17, that nickelback roll you describe is arguably more urgent for our 30th ranked D than RT/RG is for our top 5 O. Pitre fits it better than even Hill IMHO. Overdrafting is more like pirate guidelines lol.

Comment

• SuperCharged
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Utah
                    • Midnight Toker
                    • Send PM

I crave a 4.3 burner at WR. We need not be a "deep threat team". We would be the DEEPEST threat in the league. Just say'in that is a sexy pick if it's there.... Gotta weaponize youir teams best player.
                    :drool:

That being said if Jordan is there. You can't pass that up you can't. Just watch his combine video again.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                      French Speaking Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Québec city
                      • Send PM

As starters,
                      If you say to me that we will open the season 22 with Aboushi, Feiler, Lindsay, Slater and Jaimes on OL, it's O.K.
                      Jackson, Samuel, James, Adderley and Davis at DBs, not sure !

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                        As starters,
                        If you say to me that we will open the season 22 with Aboushi, Feiler, Lindsay, Slater and Jaimes on OL, it's O.K.
                        Jackson, Samuel, James, Adderley and Davis at DBs, not sure !
                        Yeah, safety/nickel is a higher need.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post
                          I crave a 4.3 burner at WR. We need not be a "deep threat team". We would be the DEEPEST threat in the league. Just say'in that is a sexy pick if it's there.... Gotta weaponize youir teams best player.
                          :drool:

That being said if Jordan is there. You can't pass that up you can't. Just watch his combine video again.
                          He moves pretty well for a big guy. He interviews well.....wouldn't surprise me.
                          Last edited by powderblueboy; 04-23-2022, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X