• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • equivocation
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
    Watching Ingram & Clark in the playoffs, Pip's performance against them looking better and better.
    I'm willing to bring in a mid tier FA and let he and Pipkins compete for the RT spot if the staff thinks Pipkins has advanced enough. In limited snaps Pipkins looked good IMO.

Comment

• equivocation
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

This.

There is no D player in this draft who will step in and be key to beating the Chiefs. Pipe meet dream. There are a lot of players who, given time, will upgrade numerous spots, sure. Thing is, we need to beat KC now, while we still have O guys in their prime (or in KA’s case, still pretty damn good). The D needs all the FA studs we can afford - at the expense of some of our own FAs. Priority, we should be looking at the best IDL available and make him an offer he can’t refuse. Then go from there. We lose the LOS battle so damn much, a 2 down run stuffer would be H-U-G-E. But not a project, we need plug and play. Fatusaki would be a good signing for that IMO, expensive but worth it. That one signing would do so much, the draft could truly be BPA and that O weapon could be there for us at 17. Or an EDGE. But give me an IDL coming off his rookie deal better than Tillery, can’t be that hard, last in run D, right? It starts in the trenches, Tillery was not the guy, sign somebody who is.
      Allen has 1 or 2 years left here. Not too early to bring in Williams or Burks.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

Allen has 1 or 2 years left here. Not too early to bring in Williams or Burks.
        I doubt Burks will get to us. Williams might with his injury but he won't help us being out and not able to practice and learn the offense. Maybe late in the season he will.

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I doubt Burks will get to us. Williams might with his injury but he won't help us being out and not able to practice and learn the offense. Maybe late in the season he will.
          ACLs aren’t what they used to be. Allen’s first season wasn’t too shabby and that was how long ago? If Williams is there no brainer.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

ACLs aren’t what they used to be. Allen’s first season wasn’t too shabby and that was how long ago? If Williams is there no brainer.
            Allen didn't have a torn ACL as a rookie. He got those after wards,.... happened early in the seasons and he already knew the playbook.

Williams was this month and has an offense to learn as a rookie. It will be tough for him.

I don't see us going WR early unless MW signs elsewhere.

Comment

• Parcells
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
              Would be great to have an explosive weapon on offense
              Watching KC tonight and seeing what a weapon Tyreek Hill makes me think we should seriously consider Jameson Williams if he’s there at 17. I know we’ve already got good WRs and I’m not saying do this and release Mike Williams. I think Keenan Allen is on the downside of his career and Jameson Williams will give us something we haven’t had in a long time which is a truly explosive player. He can stretch defenses and is also quite dangerous with any pass he catches in stride.

Obviously there are bigger areas of need, but I think if you pair a young stud like this with our stud QB, you can end up with an unstoppable offense.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Pretty much the last play of our last game summed up our defensive effort our whole season. When it counted the most our D failed to stop. We would have been eliminated in the first round with the way our D played this season. Better for us to draft higher and fix the D first. A lot of teams got abused in the first round and most of the teams with a defense moved to the final 8 teams.

:coffee:
                It is pretty much the rule these days that defenses fail to protect leads. it's not just us, and in fact, is getting fairly rare to protect leads. For the most part, how well a team protects a lead is much more about how the 5-minute offense performs than anything else.

The only time a D really has a chance is when the opposing offense gets the ball back with "too little time". Pass rushers are too tired to put up an effective rush at the end of the game, and coverage players lose their reaction times as they tire, while the O will always have the split-second advantage of knowing what they are doing because it is their play being initated.

Drafting D is a good idea, but mostly to try and create the lead before the final couple of minutes and we still need to control the clock late. And that line of thinking doesn't really imply we need to fix the run D at all, since the run game, late in the game is a much less important factor.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I would stop using statistics like a drunk using a lamppost, for support rather than illumination. (https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/424...unk-man-uses-a)

I don't necessarily feel the need to use stats in an argument. Again, I do a lot of statistics for a living, so the fact that they are all flawed to some degree is not something I have a problem with. And over the course of my professional career, I think trying to "adjust" for biases often leads to more problems than it fixes.

Anyone who watched our games knows that our D sucks, why do I need a stat to prove it?
                  same as Storm Norton. A guy gets beat 12x, you see it.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Pretty much the last play of our last game summed up our defensive effort our whole season. When it counted the most our D failed to stop. We would have been eliminated in the first round with the way our D played this season. Better for us to draft higher and fix the D first. A lot of teams got abused in the first round and most of the teams with a defense moved to the final 8 teams.

:coffee:
                    Great Ds didn’t score 24 (or whatever) points in the 4th Q in a game today.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

2020 LAC Defense DVOA was #20 at 4.4%
                      2021 LAC Defense DVOA was #26 at 4.8% (0.4% worse).

2020 was a cupcake schedule. 27th hardest without counting KC sitting starters in week 17.

Harris SUCKED in 2021. And some players (Perryman, Heyward, Philon, King) clearly should have been retained.
                      Heyward was the one I wanted to keep. He was slowed by injuries in '20.

Perryman can only be saved in coverage by a strong, consistent pass rush.

Philon, King had character issues as Chargers.
                      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

It is time for our draft strategies to evolve.

For me, "measurements day" at Senior Bowl/E--W has always been the starting gun for real draft nerdness.
                        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• CivilBolt
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post

Watching KC tonight and seeing what a weapon Tyreek Hill makes me think we should seriously consider Jameson Williams if he’s there at 17. I know we’ve already got good WRs and I’m not saying do this and release Mike Williams. I think Keenan Allen is on the downside of his career and Jameson Williams will give us something we haven’t had in a long time which is a truly explosive player. He can stretch defenses and is also quite dangerous with any pass he catches in stride.

Obviously there are bigger areas of need, but I think if you pair a young stud like this with our stud QB, you can end up with an unstoppable offense.
                          Yup, Hills YAC kills. What a game changer. I still hate him as a person. Can’t figure out why he can get away with taunting

Comment

Working...
                          X