2022 OFFICIAL NFL DRAFT DAY 1 - WHO YA GONNA PICK?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Jaimes wasn’t high either. Just happy they’re not thinking, oh we covered that last year, when obviously it’s still a need.
    Maybe the Chargers decision-makers are. We won't know that till after the UDFA are all signed.

IMHO, I don't think you can take that attitude. Maybe with higher picks and more holes to fill you can take that attitude and can be more patient.

RB depth is a real issue for the Chargers, and you can think of a draft pick as a replacement for Jackson, Kelley or Roundtree. I could actually see us take a couple or maybe just go for multiple UDFA

THey may also address it with trades or vet FA.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

We have Tillery. Not sure what you are expecting. There aren't any Aaron Donald in this draft.

AD is an exception, not a norm
      You need more than one fresh & effective pass rusher out there on any give pass play, or he can easily be taken away.
      And then there is the probability of Bosa/Mack missing games.
      Does Bosa/Tillery or Mack/Tillery out there on passing downs scare anyone?

I want someone closer to Donald than Tillery in terms of a pass rusher: it can either be edge or DT.
      H...ll, i want someone closer to Nwosu.

I don't think the coaching staff is going to bank on Tillery or Rumph suddenly becoming a problem for opposing offenses.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
        Charger Fan since 1978
        • Sep 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I hope not. No more trade ups.
        depends on how much they like Lucas or one of the corners…
        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

This pick is not a vote of confidence in Jameis
          Yes.

But it isn't completely Jameis' fault.
          He has never produced at this level and is learning the guard position.
          This coaching staff isn't hoping & praying that he takes that next step or two in the offseason.
          Previous coaching staff's have made such mistakes.

Quite often, it was with chronically injured players: Bob Sanders comes to mind.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

I think they’re stacking talent to help with injuries in a long season. Jaimes was a fifth rounder so his role might’ve always been take flyer in case he pops or you found a quality depth piece type guy in the 5th round. He’s a year two guy now so they’ll expect him to perform when he needs to spell someone for a drive or a game here or there, he’s a good back up player that’ll be going into his final year the same year feiler hits FA. Under staley the chargers are going to invest on DL and OL every year…did you hear what he said yesterday about the importance of line play?
            "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Jaimes was a 5th rounder. If he becomes a starter somehow then great. But as it is, he’s depth which is what most day 3 picks are. Not a bad thing at all.

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

depends on how much they like Lucas or one of the corners…
                I think you can still get a quality edge or CB without trading up.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I think you can still get a quality edge or CB without trading up.
                  I agree, I’m just pointing out that TT has a long history of trading up for his guys…

by and large I hate trading up, I’m more of a trade down guy or stay put and let the draft fall to you guy. One of the best draft moves in charger history was trading down for PR in 2004

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

We have Tillery. Not sure what you are expecting.
                    Who people hate so bad and just want to get rid of. Not realizing he's the only player who is good at pass rushing on the interior. Most of the other guys on the IDL are lacking. Covington at one time was good, but he's regressed in his ability to.

It's great that we have Bosa and Mack. But what makes it so different than the time of Bosa and Ingram? When Ingram was good. Back when they were terrorizing opponents, not enough pass rush in the middle is what hindered those team's defense from doing better than they did. And people wonder why this team is continually bad on third downs and can't get off the field. They disregard this.

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

You need more than one fresh & effective pass rusher out there on any give pass play, or he can easily be taken away.
                    And then there is the probability of Bosa/Mack missing games.
                    Does Bosa/Tillery or Mack/Tillery out there on passing downs scare anyone?

I want someone closer to Donald than Tillery in terms of a pass rusher: it can either be edge or DT.
                    H...ll, i want someone closer to Nwosu.

I don't think the coaching staff is going to bank on Tillery or Rumph suddenly becoming a problem for opposing offenses.
                    Who were the other guys in the middle besides Tillery that penetrates and gets to the QB? Justin Jones is gone, he had the same problems that people say about Jordan Davis. JJ wasn't really much of a pass rusher, he gets clean-up sacks, he was not a pass penetrator and more of a clean-up guy. SJD and AJ are the same as Justin Jones when it comes to pass rush. Not having enough penetrators has been an achilles-heel of the defense for a long time. Even back when the team had Liuget and Philon it was difficult.

There are other good pass rushing interior linemen besides the big name ones like Aaron Donald, Deforest Bucker, Fletcher Cox, or Chris Jones. There are plenty of others. You have to find them. The Bengals and Titans have a pair of them. The Bengals had BJ Hill and Larry Ogunjobi. The Titans had Jeffery Simmons and Denico Autry. These teams are good and are helped because of what they have.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I agree, I’m just pointing out that TT has a long history of trading up for his guys…

by and large I hate trading up, I’m more of a trade down guy or stay put and let the draft fall to you guy. One of the best draft moves in charger history was trading down for PR in 2004
                      TT’s has had a mix of drafts where he’s traded up: 2013, 2014, 2015, 2020; and drafts where he has stayed put: 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2021.

I don’t think he’ll trade up in this draft unless it cost only a 6th or 7th. He lacks capital to move up too far. And I think he and Staley are in alignment about mortgaging the future too much.

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

The fact that they didn't address the oline is odd....but you gotta admit, the Jets got a really nice haul.
                        yeahp.... JJ2 & Garrett Wilson were two of my faves,
                        5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Who people hate so bad and just want to get rid of. Not realizing he's the only player who is good at pass rushing on the interior. Most of the other guys on the IDL are lacking. Covington at one time was good, but he's regressed in his ability to.

It's great that we have Bosa and Mack. But what makes it so different than the time of Bosa and Ingram? When Ingram was good. Back when they were terrorizing opponents, not enough pass rush in the middle is what hindered those team's defense from doing better than they did. And people wonder why this team is continually bad on third downs and can't get off the field. They disregard this.

​​​
                          Mack is a much better player than Ingram ever was but he needs to be healthy. Tillery can rush inside but he just can't be in every down against the run. Yeah we can use another guy but I don't think it's a priority. Probably a mid to late pick if they do draft one.

Comment

Working...
                          X