2022 OFFICIAL NFL DRAFT DAY 1 - WHO YA GONNA PICK?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Kinda weird seeing a mock already as we havent even seen the current class play a game yet.
    by my take there are about 400 or so legitimate draft prospects every year, and then about 40 or so that really strike a chord within each draftnik, which leaves our job to pare down those 40 or so considerations to our top ten or so, as we get left w/the seven of them.... no time like the present to start sifting thru the myriad of info and data on each and every player that strikes our fancy.
    RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

by my take there are about 400 or so legitimate draft prospects every year, and then about 40 or so that really strike a chord within each draftnik, which leaves our job to pare down those 40 or so considerations to our top ten or so, as we get left w/the seven of them.... no time like the present to start sifting thru the myriad of info and data on each and every player that strikes our fancy.
      This is true and good for you guys that do that this early. I never been one to do it this early as i like to enjoy our season and while during it as i see where we can improve and various other reasons, is when i start to sift thru things.

Like Besee........for an example,(totally not picking on anyone, just random thought) he is ok and a good prospect but imo he isnt JJ Watt and DT isnt where id be looking at round 1 anyways but wont rule anything out at this early stage. He wont be there at 32 anyways.

At this early stage before watching 1 game, id still be looking at RT, LB, Edge,(Mack durability concerns me) maybe even RB. And i do really like Bijah Robinson. I like Sewell but not sure he is a Staley type as im not sure what type of LB Staley likes.

I still dont like that we let Nakobe get away so i hope Woods is a gem.
      11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia F/U Telesco
      35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
      37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
      66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
      69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
      100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
      110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
      140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
      181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
      225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2021
        • Send PM

Comps are my stick, if it offends some people, sorry it’s not meant to cause that reaction, just a set of traits that repeat themselves over time. Of course no two players are ever exactly the same. The more elite the traits the more transferable they are next level. Injuries are the wildcard, just look at Derek Stingley Jr. Texans drafted him based off his 2019 season, where he flashed Ramsey traits (think he went 5th overall to Jacksonville) when they could have selected Sauce Gardner #3 overall. Sauce is in a different category, have no comp for 6-3 CB with his length and speed, not to mention ball skills. He will be the Goat.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Comps are fine if they are warranted and it isn't offensive but just some won't agree.

I just think Watt was a tier above Besee. Watt lived the backfield in only 2 seasons as a DL. He had star written all over him. Dude took to DL right out of the gate from being a TE.

Besee is a good prospect and has an injury history already.

Zeiring likes to do comps too on every player which I don't always agree with.

No big deal. It's actually fun but not always warranted. Some of these guys are unique and their own player. Watt is probably the biggest comp to Donald. Nobody else comes close.
          Last edited by Boltjolt; 06-27-2022, 12:57 PM.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2021
            • Send PM

Comps are fine if they are warranted and it isn't offensive but just some won't agree.

I just think Watt was a tier above Besee. Watt lived the backfield in only 2 seasons as a DL. He had star written all over him. Dude took to DL right out of the gate from being a TE.

Besee is a good prospect and has an injury history already.

Zeiring likes to do comps too on every player which I don't always agree with.

No big deal. It's actually fun but not always warranted. Some of these guys are unique and their own player. Watt is probably the biggest comp to Donald. Nobody else comes close.
            Watt was one argument against selecting Donald #1 overall, faulty as it was. Donald lives on the inside and Watt lived on the outside, in his prime. Not really a comp.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Watt was one argument against selecting Donald #1 overall, faulty as it was. Donald lives on the inside and Watt lived on the outside, in his prime. Not really a comp.
              Not really. Aaron Donald actually played RDE for the Rams 3-4 in 2017 and 2019 starting 30 games and getting 23.5 of his sacks there. In 2019 SJD was the NT.
              Watt has played in a 3-4 as a DE his whole career. Not a OLB as you know.
              So in a way I'd agree but their play has been similar in similar schemes.
              Last edited by Boltjolt; 06-27-2022, 07:50 PM.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2021
                • Send PM

Watt is 6-5 295
                Donald 6-1 285

Depends what version of Watt we speak of, however frame wise he towers over Donald, hence JJ use to kick outside to OLB, play a little TE, but mostly 3-4 DE like Bosa. Some DT but generally not considered a DT like Aaron Donald. End is not Donald’s primary position, but when your a Superstar like him you try and keep him happy, even adjust your scheme to take advantage of his disruptive nature. That is one thing they share, but Watt’s biggest trait he made famous was “the fly swat” he perfected that skill and is copied, other players emulate swatting the ball and disrupting throwing lanes, that’s something Donald isn’t really known for and there for example why he’s not a JJ comp.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Watt is 6-5 295
                  Donald 6-1 285

Depends what version of Watt we speak of, however frame wise he towers over Donald, hence JJ use to kick outside to OLB, play a little TE, but mostly 3-4 DE like Bosa. Some DT but generally not considered a DT like Aaron Donald. End is not Donald’s primary position, but when your a Superstar like him you try and keep him happy, even adjust your scheme to take advantage of his disruptive nature. That is one thing they share, but Watt’s biggest trait he made famous was “the fly swat” he perfected that skill and is copied, other players emulate swatting the ball and disrupting throwing lanes, that’s something Donald isn’t really known for and there for example why he’s not a JJ comp.
                  Watt isnt 295 and Donald isnt 285. Watt is 285-288...listed 288 currently. Donald listed at 280 and always has been that ive seen.

Donald is actually undersized for a NT and isnt your typical 3-4 NT just taking up blockers and has excelled there and at DE....regardless of his height at DE and lack of swatting the ball because of his height. Living in the backfield causing havock and getting sacks, they are similar regardless of 4" height difference and thats what im comparing while playing similar possitions.

Some might say Watt compares to Bruce Smith and he does but Smith was a different era and Watt is 25 lbs heavier than Smith.

Anyways.....its whatever and no big deal. I dont usually compare players unless there is a distinct thing they do that is similar. Not everyone who enters the league has a comparison to other players and some who enter the league and are setting the comparison to those behind them.

I read Zeirings comparisons and sometims am perplexed who his comparisons are but everybody has their thing.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2021
                    • Send PM

It’s Lance Zierlein. From Houston, been following him 20 years, long before gig with NFL Network. Probably where I learned the value of comps in player evals. Of course no two are exactly the same, you just line up traits with measureables, not like game of football just invented, it’s important to have some historical perspective.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

It’s Lance Zierlein. From Houston, been following him 20 years, long before gig with NFL Network. Probably where I learned the value of comps in player evals. Of course no two are exactly the same, you just line up traits with measureables, not like game of football just invented, it’s important to have some historical perspective.
                      OK, i knew it was Zeir...something and didnt want to search lol. I see his writeups on players on NFL.com every year. And Sure but those traits and measurables dont mean anything when comparing players. Its a fools way of making a comparison til you see them play in the NFL.
                      Zeirlein has a player comparison for every player in the draft to someone in the league which imo isnt valid and some are downright wrong.

This will sound like im venting or ranting but im not.

One example,....Zeirlein compared Pickett to Andy Dalton....in his NFL prime Andy Dalton lol. What? Its there in this link https://www.nfl.com/prospects/kenny-...1-772adaebe15c
                      I dont know if Picket will even be as good as Dalton or wont be a bust. Not sure Pickett will even be as good as Trubiski who is his compitition let alone Dalton....who is better than Trubiski.

He said Pickett broke Marinos records at Pitt as a strength in his scouting report. Well yeah, he played a year longer and had nearly 500 more pass attempts in an era of PI mania.
                      What he didnt say is Pickett had the smallest hands of all the QBs at the combine and the NFL football is slightly bigger than the college ball.

Also Jamar Chase says the NFL ball having no stripes for him is harder to catch and pickup. Little things like that arent accounted for when mentioning traits. Just saying comparing players in college to NFL players is fools gold...though Chase did just fine. Its just draft talk.
                      Might be different for a QB with small hands or a RB with smaller hands for ball security.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...white-stripes/

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2021
                        • Send PM

OK, i knew it was Zeir...something and didnt want to search lol. I see his writeups on players on NFL.com every year. And Sure but those traits and measurables dont mean anything when comparing players. Its a fools way of making a comparison til you see them play in the NFL.
                        Zeirlein has a player comparison for every player in the draft to someone in the league which imo isnt valid and some are downright wrong.

This will sound like im venting or ranting but im not.

One example,....Zeirlein compared Pickett to Andy Dalton....in his NFL prime Andy Dalton lol. What? Its there in this link https://www.nfl.com/prospects/kenny-...1-772adaebe15c
                        I dont know if Picket will even be as good as Dalton or wont be a bust. Not sure Pickett will even be as good as Trubiski who is his compitition let alone Dalton....who is better than Trubiski.

He said Pickett broke Marinos records at Pitt as a strength in his scouting report. Well yeah, he played a year longer and had nearly 500 more pass attempts in an era of PI mania.
                        What he didnt say is Pickett had the smallest hands of all the QBs at the combine and the NFL football is slightly bigger than the college ball.

Also Jamar Chase says the NFL ball having no stripes for him is harder to catch and pickup. Little things like that arent accounted for when mentioning traits. Just saying comparing players in college to NFL players is fools gold...though Chase did just fine. Its just draft talk.
                        Might be different for a QB with small hands or a RB with smaller hands for ball security.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...white-stripes/
                        Your making it harder than it is. Measurements, Production, System Experience (coaching tree, winning pedigree, two high safety, traditional 3-4 or 4/3 hybrid whatever) of course some key measureables per position (know I don’t need to tell you that, your very on top of things and enjoy Sharing back & forth) all this to find a players natural fit, intangibles, that line up, checking as many important boxes as needed to sign off. Both Slater and Zion are excellent examples. Not sure I’m ready to comp Slater to say a Trent Williams (Slater has shorter arm length but core strength greater) but athletically they both possess great feet, movement skills and understanding of LT position. If Zion comped to Zach Martin I’d be happy as hell. Generally I only comp when needed and done some homework and when I do it’s generally fun and worth the effort.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Your making it harder than it is. Measurements, Production, System Experience (coaching tree, winning pedigree, two high safety, traditional 3-4 or 4/3 hybrid whatever) of course some key measureables per position (know I don’t need to tell you that, your very on top of things and enjoy Sharing back & forth) all this to find a players natural fit, intangibles, that line up, checking as many important boxes as needed to sign off. Both Slater and Zion are excellent examples. Not sure I’m ready to comp Slater to say a Trent Williams (Slater has shorter arm length but core strength greater) but athletically they both possess great feet, movement skills and understanding of LT position. If Zion comped to Zach Martin I’d be happy as hell. Generally I only comp when needed and done some homework and when I do it’s generally fun and worth the effort.
                          Thats just it. Natural fit, production , etc...in college isnt the same as the NFL.

Many players say its just football and i tend to agree. Its the coaching that makes the difference in what they want you to do. Some can adjust and some cant. Wades 3-4 is different than Dom Capers 3-4 and probably Belichicks 3-4 and of course Staleys 3-4.
                          3-4 defenses are changing.

Staley took Wades bottom feeder 3-4 and the next year with pretty much the same players asside from a 6th round DL and a low round LB and added Ramsey and had it #1

I dont think im making it harder than it is. There are just factors that cant be factored in and i think measurables are a little overrated. I think RAS is very overrated and player are over analyzed. Sometimes just give me a football player instead of an athlete who ends up being the better player. We see that often.

Being a draftnic isnt easy. I don't think QBs are that hard to scout. Ninja on the other hand, doesnt even like to try or include them in his top 100 lol. OL for is some easy. i tend to have to look harder....not that i consider myself a daftnic.

Anyways,i enjoy the banter of ideas.
                          Last edited by Boltjolt; 06-28-2022, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X