X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

Sure. Not arguing that point. I’m saying that trading up isn’t maximizing value, which is what you said you want to do. So do you want to go get the guys you want, or do you want to maximize the value of the picks you have? They aren’t the same thing.
    I guess my point is that trading up is maximizing value in certain situations.

I think the Travis Jones situation represents such an example. Jones is a late first/early 2nd round value. The next best player value was a 2nd/3rd round value. So, if you are at #79 and you know the player (Jones) is gone at #76 as half of our forum knew ahead of time would be the case, then by trading a fairly late pick and gaining a full round of earlier round value over the next best pick, our team actually would be maximizing its draft pick value.

And if we are dead set on getting Woods, then we also maximize his value as a draft pick by taking him as late as we can possibly select him. Organizations that get closer to full value for their draft picks put their teams in a better position to win.

I think we could have had both Jones and Woods fairly easily.

Comment

• I suppose someone could think that Staley may not have wanted Jones, but that does raise the question as to why an NFL coach would not want a DL player with a higher ceiling than any DL player currently on the roster.

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post
        I suppose someone could think that Staley may not have wanted Jones, but that does raise the question as to why an NFL coach would not want a DL player with a higher ceiling than any DL player currently on the roster.
        Or why an NFL coach would completely ignore a position group when Dean would probably be the best LB on the team on day one

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Man, what is this team even thinking?

Comment

• FoutsFan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Birmingham AL
            • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

Well, that's also what gets you Craig Mager.
            Concensus said take Tua over Herbert.

Concensus gets you Tua and heartburn.

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Or why an NFL coach would completely ignore a position group when Dean would probably be the best LB on the team on day one
              I can see why Staley didn’t want Dean. Good college player but I don’t think he’ll hold up in the NFL. Especially given his injury concerns and refusal to get surgery. And we should probably guess at this point that LB isn’t as important as DB to Staley.

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Telesco’s 3rd round picks have almost always gone against consensus. The exception was Keenan Allen and Feeney. Obviously only one of them worked out. I think the rest, including Justin Jones, went against the board. I’m hoping for the best because of Staley.

Comment

• Originally posted by jamrock View Post

As to Dean's talent, I agree, but I gave them a pass on what I assumed was unfavorable medical reporting based upon Dean's arguably questionable decision not to correct his pectoral problem via surgery.

Other than Dean, who have been a medical DQ from the team's board, Jones was the clear BPA.

Comment

• Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

Concensus said take Tua over Herbert.

Concensus gets you Tua and heartburn.
                    We never had the choice of taking Tua when we were on the clock.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                      Telesco’s 3rd round picks have almost always gone against consensus. The exception was Keenan Allen and Feeney. Obviously only one of them worked out. I think the rest, including Justin Jones, went against the board. I’m hoping for the best because of Staley.
                      And I guess the point is that in not going with anything close to consensus, Telesco has failed pretty miserably in the third round to the point where he should literally allow anyone else on this planet to make the third round choice as it is difficult to miss on so many third round picks. I am thinking a blindfolded monkey throwing darts at a draft board with consensus third round players on it would do better.

Comment

• jox g
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2020
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Dean is injured

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I can see why Staley didn’t want Dean. Good college player but I don’t think he’ll hold up in the NFL. Especially given his injury concerns and refusal to get surgery. And we should probably guess at this point that LB isn’t as important as DB to Staley.
                          Yeah I get it. He doesn’t value LBs. That’s a flaw. We couldn’t stop the run and that’s not all on DL. You need good LB play to be an elite defense and we don’t have it. I guess Staley thinks he’s smarter than every d coordinator that’s come before him but last year’s d was abysmal and I’ve watched a lot of great defenses and LB play is a hallmark. I’m not buying his concept.

Comment

Working...
                          X