• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

So why not trade up and get Travis Jones and then, take Woods in round 4. That way, we get the best of both worlds. Consensus big boards say Woods would have been there at 4-123 and if our front office's collective butt started puckering in round 4, we could have attempted to flip 6-195 to move up to 4-117 (still 20 spots above Woods' consensus big board value). I just wish we would play the odds and have the stones to be more aggressive and try to max out the value of our picks a little more. Sometimes one player makes a huge difference.
    Because Travis Jones just replicates what they already have at DT is just a guess.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

I was walking my dog and thinking about Woods, and how horrific it was watching Kelce run free with the football when Derwin was out.

I don't think Woods is a corner, he doesn't change direction well (& that is why he did not do the 3 cone drill),
      but he can run with Kelce/Waller.

Comment

• equivocation
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

Pec injury he reportedly told teams he refuses to get surgery on. The injury and the attitude concerning getting it taken care of definitely had an effect on his fall.
        IMO he lacks NFL physicality. He isn't going to be able to play nearly as clean as he did at Georgia against NFL offenses. Great college player.

Comment

• Chargers8491
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Let me guess! Telesco was excited that Woods was still available.
          Honestly, I caught the tail end of Telsco interview. I really wanted to hear what Staley had to say about the pick. I have to say, I really like this pick after hearing Staley talk about him. I could be wrong but I think he had this guy targeted because he fits what Staley wants to do on defense.
          1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
          2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
          2b- #37 Jenkins DT
          3a- #66 Puni OT
          3b- #69 Sainristill CB
          4a- #105 Rice WR
          4b- #110 Lloyd RB
          5- #140 Green CB
          6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• equivocation
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2021
            • Send PM

I was walking my dog and thinking about Woods, and how horrific it was watching Kelce run free with the football when Derwin was out.

I don't think Woods is a corner, he doesn't change direction well (& that is why he did not do the 3 cone drill),
            He can play deep or press man against big/fast guys like that. He's also tough, physical and a willing tackler, if maybe launchwiffy pt 2. Versatility and physicality are both valued.

He may miss but he isn't going to get run roughshod like Kelce did to us in OT.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

I would not say that the Chiefs blew chunks with their picks, but I was delighted to see that they did not walk away with a single world beater after 4 picks in the first two rounds.

The Ravens are great at drafting because they tend not reach and take the BPA. It is value, value, value for them and they have been among the best at drafting for a long time using that approach.

Telesco has largely blown chunks with his third round picks. I would say he is fairly notorious for being horrible in the third round at this point.
              But you do recognize McDuffie/Karlaftis/Cook/Sky Moore /Chenal....never any surprises from Reid.

You can criticize each player somewhat: McDuffie has problems with size (good luck covering Charger receivers), Karlaftis has zero bend and doesn't change direction well, etc....

but overall, Reid has had better draft results in the past with this method.

Comment

• FarAwayBoltFan
                San Diego Native
                • Feb 2019
                • Farmington, NM
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                Dean was picked at 83th !
                I have no problem with the Woods pick. My problem is that I can't shake the feeling Nakobe is going to be All Pro within 3-years.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                  Fluent in Sarcasm
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Iowa
                  • Man of the People
                  • Send PM

So why not trade up and get Travis Jones and then, take Woods in round 4. That way, we get the best of both worlds. Consensus big boards say Woods would have been there at 4-123 and if our front office's collective butt started puckering in round 4, we could have attempted to flip 6-195 to move up to 4-117 (still 20 spots above Woods' consensus big board value). I just wish we would play the odds and have the stones to be more aggressive and try to max out the value of our picks a little more. Sometimes one player makes a huge difference.
                  Constantly moving up doesn’t maximize value. Every time you move up you are losing value. So saying you want value picks AND that you want to move up to get that value seems at odds to me. You’re using the specific example of Travis Jones and the Chargers but the flip side to that is the Ravens didn’t move up and got Travis Jones. The general philosophy of maximizing value isn’t going to be a lot of moving up, usually it’s trading down if you trade at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Crusher, speaking of the Queefs not so impressive draft, they closed out their last pick today with a slow LB who can't cover:

Leo Chenal, LB Wisconsin
                    6-3, 250#

Draft Scouting Report:
                    Rating: 82.87 (Long-term starter)
                    Pro Comparison: Vince Williams

Strengths:
                    Built like old-school middle linebacker. Shoots gaps, fights through blocks and can be very disruptive in the backfield. Never accused of running around blocks -- he consistently takes the shortest distance to the ball. In fact, he's among the best in this class at flowing to the ball on zone reads, beating offensive linemen to the spot, and then knifing into the backfield to disrupt the play. Like having a defensive lineman at the second level in terms of toughness.

Weaknesses:
                    While he shows an ability to drop into zones, his coverage responsibilities are the weakest part of this game. As such, his change of direction in the open field is just average, and the primary question NFL teams will have to answer is if he is a three-down player at the next level.

CBS Sports has the latest NFL Draft updates. Track your favorite teams and prospects for each round of the 2024 NFL Draft.
                    They drafted:

1-21 McDuffie
                    1030 Karlaftis
                    2-54 Moore
                    2-62 Cook
                    3-103 Chenal

All of those players are solid, but absolutely none of them strike fear into the hearts of the opposition. I do not see a major impact player in the entire group, so my reaction was to breathe a sigh of relief at what could have been so much worse.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

No guarantee Woods would be there in round 4...possible, maybe even likely, but if TT and Staley really had him targeted, better to take him a little early than to miss a key player to make yer defense click...did u notice as soon as the Bolts were on the clock, the pick was in real quick like? I think Woods was targeted...

Comment

• QSmokey
                        Guardedly Optimistic
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Kuna, Idaho
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

Great. So after he catches up to them, he'll miss the tackle.

Sorry, I'm just piling on, which isn't fair. But I've said since the draft threads started that we were playing with one hand tied behind our backs because we had no 2nd-rounder. And it appears we missed out on filling a need because we lacked that 2nd-round pick and - apparently - had to reach in the 3rd. Doesn't make for a great draft.

Now, having said that, I would still rather have Mack than any 2nd-round pick we missed out on. With no Mack, we might have had to take EDGE with our 2nd (or 1st) round pick to fill that void. So the lack of a 2nd-round pick was a necessary evil, I guess. Still, from what I've read, it seems we could have made a better choice in the 3rd round.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

A Special Teamer that can't tackle? New definition for 'special'.

From what I've been reading, we could have had Dean in Round 3 and *still* taken this guy in the 4th.
                          He can tackle. He just gets his head down too often looking for the BIG hit and that has led him to losing sight of the ball-carrier. Seems to me if he simply kept his head up while approaching a ball-carrier he'd be fine. At least I'm hoping.

Comment

Working...
                          X