• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • equivocation
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

A reach in what sense? Telesco has said that he considered moving down from #17, but once Green was chosen by Houston, there were some guard hungry teams and he didn't want to risk missing out on Zion. In that sense, it wasn't a reach.

In the sense that low priority players seldom have their contracts extended? I get it; but the next five window years were of the upmost consideration.

Low priority positions being safety,rb, interior Oline, inside linebacker, DT, tight end: so you would never draft any of those positions in the first round?

Just drafting edge rusher, corner, OT, qb, wr there is something no team practices.
    DT is considered a premium position as long as it's a pass rushing DT. They get paid the same as edge rushers.

Of the remaining positions, IOL gets paid the most. RB and LB the least.

If you accept that a primary purpose of the draft is to offset cap space, drafting high paid positions and signing low paid positions makes sense.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

DT is considered a premium position as long as it's a pass rushing DT. They get paid the same as edge rushers.

Of the remaining positions, IOL gets paid the most. RB and LB the least.

If you accept that a primary purpose of the draft is to offset cap space, drafting high paid positions and signing low paid positions makes sense.
      LB Micah Parsons was discussed in 2021 pre-draft discussions for 13th selection, on two premises;
      1. Slater was off the board
      2. Micah was still on the board

You still take best player. Or you trade back and regroup. Hard for me to imagine any draft board holding true regardless of unforeseen outcomes? Blanket positions, traits, speed, power and skill sets.

Comment

• equivocation
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

LB Micah Parsons was discussed in 2021 pre-draft discussions for 13th selection, on two premises;
        1. Slater was off the board
        2. Micah was still on the board

You still take best player. Or you trade back and regroup. Hard for me to imagine any draft board holding true regardless of unforeseen outcomes? Blanket positions, traits, speed, power and skill sets.
        His value is as a pass rusher. His impact as an off ball LB was much less.

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
          May...June...when the posts keep getting better and better...
          We’re CRUSHING it!!

Get it? Crushing, chaincrusher…never mind.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

His value is as a pass rusher. His impact as an off ball LB was much less.
            LB who will convert into Edge Rusher or DE which also pays more.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I paraphrased Telesco's sentiments directly from an interview with Irish NFL: none of it is my speculation on the matter.
              Telesco was expecting Green to be available at #17: he says that he was surprised when Houston made the selection.
              This week, we are joined by Los Angeles Chargers GM Tom Telesco who talks about the NFL Draft, Justin Herbert and more. You can visit the show on Twitter at ...

note: beware, one of the Irish reporters is a Raider fan.
              Interesting...three Irishmen interviewing TT...Telesco sure does love the Irish, whether it's Golden Domers or corned beef and cabbage eaters...

BTW, TT's take on Green going before Zion starts at 9:07...and Telesco does say that he thought Green would be picked "AFTER us"... so it looks like the Bolts had Zion targeted...

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Interesting...three Irishmen interviewing TT...Telesco sure does love the Irish, whether it's Golden Domers or corned beef and cabbage eaters...

BTW, TT's take on Green going before Zion starts at 9:07...and Telesco does say that he thought Green would be picked "AFTER us"... so it looks like the Bolts had Zion targeted...
                I wonder if the Chargers saw Green as a Guard only.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                  French Speaking Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Québec city
                  • Send PM

I think if Green was the ideal RT for the Chargers,
                  They would traded up in the 1st.

Comment

• chargeroo
                    Fan since 1961
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Oregon
                    • Retired Manager/Pastor
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Green was my first choice, Zion second.
                    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

The logic breakdown comes when you say you think we could take him at 123 vs you know we could take him at 123. The draft is full of disappointed teams who thought a high priority player would make it to their next pick.

I would not have taken Woods in the 3rd, however the Bolts felt they had to have him there. And its their money in the game not ours.
                      Teams can always avoid risk by taking players too early and continuously sacrificing value, but it remains bad draft strategy. I can see how Woods fits what our team is trying to do, but I continue to be opposed to us engaging in poor draft strategy.

I also think it is a truly sad statement regarding what Staley wants to do if "everything" is dependent on us having this one player.

I have not even reached the concern of Woods as being possibly an increased injury risk because of his slender build, which is supported by his breaking his collarbone while at Baylor just by falling on it. There is a little "Verrett" similarity there in terms of the smaller frame potentially not holding up in the game of football.

The best way I can describe it is that if Woods get injured, it will have been half expected by me. Obviously, any player can get injured, but some players, by virtue of some physical characteristic they have, may be at greater risk for an injury than others.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Well, I'm not sure what more I can tell you that hasn't already been said.
                        In the end, the Chargers had a 2nd round grade on JT. That made him a steal (rather than a reach) in their minds.
                        Personally, I liked Nick Cross (and thought he was a steal @#79). But Staley/TT liked JT better. I'm 100% sure that Staley knows what he needs on defense better than I do. And I'm 99.9% sure that Staley knows better than sports writers who he needs at safety next year.

I could list 40-50 players that went significantly higher and lower than the almighty consensus predicted they would. But there is no point. Your mind has been made up and you're not budging. We'll re-visit this again in late December.
                        I appreciate your take and agree with your approach of seeing how it plays out.

Comment

• Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
                          Telesco/Staley > Chaincrusher
                          To point out the beyond incredibly obvious that you have missed, I have discussed Telesco/Staley versus consensus big boards, not versus me.

Comment

Working...
                          X