Darrian Kinnard/66/145
    Jamaree Salyer/73/195
    Carson Strong/91/Undrafted
    Rasheed Walker/104/249
    Mario Goodrich/130/Undrafted
    Verone McKinley/132/Undrafted
    Kellen Deitch/147/Undrafted
    Haskell Garrett/164/Undrafted
    ***These guys were either steals or the consensus was way off on their evals.

Jonathan Ford/428/234
    Teagan Quitoriano/389/170
    Zander Horvath/366/260
    Luke Wattenberg/314/171
    Michael Woods/311/202
    Damarion Williams/250/141
    Jack Jones/247/121
    Cordell Volson/204/136
    Cordale Flott/194/81
    Dane Belton/191/114
    Erik Ezukanma/180/125
    Neil Farrell/174/126
    Logan Brus/169/104
    Terrell Bernard/157/89
    Velus Jones/152/71
    JT Woods/137/79
    Danny Gray/135/105
    Bryan Cook/96/62
    ***These guys were either drafted 1 round too early (in some cases more than 200 spots before)... or the consensus was again way off their evals. 90% of these guys were on my radar as being much better than they were getting credit for... and I mocked almost every one of these guys numerous times.

Comment

• RockyMtnBoltFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2022
      • Send PM

Wait…does this mean that other teams didn’t draft exactly according to the consensus board rankings!?!? LOL

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

You mentioning Jones in same sentence as Donald is absurd.
        And saying you would take a previous #13 overall who is best defensive player in game and who played a god like amount of snaps of 90% last year. B.Willams who played the spot for Ravens that Jones will play at NT. He is the comparison...are you taking him over Adderley and Woods for the Chargers defensive scheme. And trading away a 4th to do it. Come on dude stay on track here......Aaron Donald is your way out of this failing argument .....Wow..... Ridiculous.

You are over the waterfall in your canoe when you are pulling in the best defensive player in game a future 1st ballot ball of famer to attempt an counter argument. Good luck with that.

I don't know who the better player will be yet. They were both 3rd rd picks. They both have to prove what the can do on the next level.

Woods maybe very we'll be the starter in 2023 as Adderley is in his final year of contract. And I specifically mentioned both players and snaps count as rookies and then in 2023 as starters. And saying your getting many more snaps out of Woods/Spiller vs Jones. Also mentioned that teams do indeed use their own boards and will indeed be on the high or low side vs consensus and use their own board. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder here. And for Stalesco they got a very valuable player and your take about consensus amounts to a hill of beans and nothing more in terms of LAC following their draft board and their plan. They don't draft per consensus board, they draft per their own board. Why in the heck would they do all this preparation to create their board and then use consensus to make decisions on who to draft. Only a fool would suggest such a thing.

Aaron Donald.
        :LOL:
        If we’re all going on the record, I would take Aaron Donald over JT too. Is this a test?
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• DerwinBosa
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
          Player/Consensus/Actual

Malik Willis/14/86
          Nakobe Dean/31/83
          Matt Coral/39/94
          Travis Jones/47/76
          Sam Howell/48/144
          Daniel Faalele/62/110
          Isaiah Spiller/64/123
          Darrian Kinnard/66/145
          Jamaree Salyer/73/195
          Rasheed Walker/104/249

Jonathan Ford/428/234
          Zander Horvath/366/260
          Luke Wattenberg/314/171
          Michael Woods/311/202
          Jack Jones/247/121
          Cordell Volson/204/136
          Cordale Flott/194/81
          Dane Belton/191/114
          Erik Ezukanma/180/125
          Neil Farrell/174/126
          Logan Brus/169/104
          Terrell Bernard/157/89
          Velus Jones/152/71
          JT Woods/137/79
          Danny Gray/135/105
          Bryan Cook/96/62
          ***These guys were either drafted 1 round too early (in some cases more than 200 spots before)... or the consensus was again way off their evals. 90% of these guys were on my radar as being much better than they were getting credit for... and I mocked almost every one of these guys numerous times.
          So I guess we should have drafted Isaiah Spiller in the third, Jamaree Salyer in the fourth, and hoped J.T. Woods was there in the fifth. And we really blew it in the seventh round with that Zander Horvath pick.

Comment

• Critty
            Dominate the Day.
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
            Player/Consensus/Actual

Malik Willis/14/86
            Nakobe Dean/31/83
            Matt Coral/39/94
            Travis Jones/47/76
            Sam Howell/48/144
            Daniel Faalele/62/110
            Isaiah Spiller/64/123
            Darrian Kinnard/66/145
            Jamaree Salyer/73/195
            Rasheed Walker/104/249

Jonathan Ford/428/234
            Zander Horvath/366/260
            Luke Wattenberg/314/171
            Michael Woods/311/202
            Jack Jones/247/121
            Cordell Volson/204/136
            Cordale Flott/194/81
            Dane Belton/191/114
            Erik Ezukanma/180/125
            Neil Farrell/174/126
            Logan Brus/169/104
            Terrell Bernard/157/89
            Velus Jones/152/71
            JT Woods/137/79
            Danny Gray/135/105
            Bryan Cook/96/62
            Also, teams typically do NOT have 32 1st Rd graded players.
            Often it is 15-20 range.
            So after the 20th pick teams are beginning to draft from a pool of their 2nd round rated players.

And then again after 40-45 they may be into their 3rd Rd rated cluster of prospects.

That how you get Patriots taking Cole Strange at #29.
            The top OG remaining on their board, 2nd Rd grade. All their Rd1 graded players were selected. So they took the player they like best from their remaining 2nd Rd rated players.

And it gets called a reach because pundits had other players rated ahead of him sequentially.
            But from what I know and heard of how NFL teams rank players. They tend to group them by talent level, round and range. They dont go sequentially and put Cole Strange exactly at #35 of all players. They go blue chip top 5 are these guys.. Then next 10-15 top players are 1st Rd grade. The next 25 are 2nd Rd grade. And where do these players fit as PON and scheme. Who in these clusters do we really like for what we do? And then they select that target at #29. A player with all the traits to be a very good IOL in the NFL. And top OL remaining on their board. And pundits go whoa...reach. I thought good pick, as I think he is will be a solid starting OG sooner than later.
            Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

So I guess we should have drafted Isaiah Spiller in the third, Jamaree Salyer in the fourth, and hoped J.T. Woods was there in the fifth. And we really blew it in the seventh round with that Zander Horvath pick.
              That’s what I said in the draft thread! Lol

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Also, teams typically do NOT have 32 1st Rd graded players.
                Often it is 15-20 range.
                So after the 20th pick teams are beginning to draft from a pool of their 2nd round rated players.

And then again after 40-45 they may be into their 3rd Rd rated cluster of prospects.

That how you get Patriots taking Cole Strange at #29.
                The top OG remaining on their board, 2nd Rd grade. All their Rd1 graded players were selected. So they took the player they like best from their remaining 2nd Rd rated players.

And it gets called a reach because pundits had other players rated ahead of him sequentially.
                But from what I know and heard of how NFL teams rank players. They tend to group them by talent level, round and range. They dont go sequentially and put Cole Strange exactly at #35 of all players. They go blue chip top 5 are these guys.. Then next 10-15 top players are 1st Rd grade. The next 25 are 2nd Rd grade. And where do these players fit as PON and scheme. Who in these clusters do we really like for what we do? And then they select that target at #29. A player with all the traits to be a very good IOL in the NFL. And top OL remaining on their board. And pundits go whoa...reach. I thought good pick, as I think he is will be a solid starting OG sooner than later.
                On a completely different side note, did you catch Telesco break down the Draft Day movie? It’s actually surprising insightful.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

That was never what my statement meant and you know it. When a consensus suggests that a player has a late 4th round value, that suggests that the GM may be wrong if he uses a mid 3rd round pick on the player. That means lots of folks have Woods as worse than #137 overall. Nothing more is necessary.

I continue to disagree with your takes as to Anderson versus Woods.
                  Are we even speaking the same language?

Your 'statement' was that Telesco's decision to select Woods was ill advised (an error) because Woods
                  fell out of the 3rd round range as established by 'the consensus'.

Here it is, and the purpose for emboldening it in your original message was to direct you or anyone else towards it:

"My point is that when a whole bunch of people with some degree of experience in assessing players suggest that a GM is wrong, the GM just might factor that into his decision making when he considers selecting a player in that player's early outlier range and consider taking that player a little bit later."

The rest of your bit, including the part of the hour you spent on watching Anderson/Woods was of no interest to me: hence, the lack of highlighting.
                  You've spent far more time typing about Anderson/Woods than actually studying their tape.

Now, once again having to repeat myself because your purposeful ability to misunderstand a central point is legendary:

Can you refer us to a former db or coach who opined about the respective abilities of Woods and Anderson? Most here
                  feel that your 'consensus' is invalid, because it is composed of people who have never played/coached the position,
                  are not familiar with the nuances involved, and have spent a questionable amount of time in actually evaluating the player.
                  We are not satisfied with one more recitation about the sanctity of 'the consensus', as if one last time will finally put us into a compliant trance.

This will go a long ways towards convincing people here...which is your purpose, no?

The part about Telesco not valuing the opinion of others outside of the organization is also of questionable value, but i'll leave that for another time.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

A semi-thorough draft analysis would be evaluating 300 players?

Each player would take 6 hours minimum to properly analyze abilities, including discussions with colleagues?

That is roughly 2000 hours of evaluation?

For one thoroughly committed, one can allocate 10 hours of film study & discussion per day..... it will take around 200 days?

College football begins in late August...which gives you 7 months to prepare your draft board.

This is what pro scouts do......not including travel time, seeing players live and in practice, talking to coaching staffs, organizational meetings,
                    preparing reports for superiors and making love to their wives.

Of course, unlike a Lance Zierlen, they are assigned to various regions, so the amount of players they evaluate is drastically reduced...but not the time they spend.
                    Last edited by powderblueboy; 05-23-2022, 10:18 AM.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Man-love, it’s a powerful thing.

Comment

• equivocation
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                        A semi-thorough draft analysis would be evaluating 300 players?

Each player would take 6 hours minimum to properly analyze abilities, including discussions with colleagues?

That is roughly 2000 hours of evaluation?

For one thoroughly committed, one can allocate 10 hours of film study & discussion per day..... it will take around 200 days?

College football begins in late August...which gives you 7 months to prepare your draft board.

This is what pro scouts do......not including travel time, seeing players live and in practice, talking to coaching staffs, organizational meetings,
                        preparing reports for superiors and making love to their wives.

Of course, unlike a Lance Zierlen, they are assigned to various regions, so the amount of players they evaluate is drastically reduced...but not the time they spend.
                        All of this, except it's more than 300 players. How do the scouts know who to scout without scouting them first? Top guys are easy, but when you're getting to the bottom of the board thefe are a lot to go through.

Plus, next years class, and the next.

Comment

• Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Got it. But the Chargers Big Board is not the same thing as the consensus board. They only care as much about the teams who select around their draft slot as they relate to targeted players on their own “Charger Board”. Your playing it as if it’s PFF Simulator, then instead of using PFF board using fan consensus big board. We all know how ridiculously off those things are especially if you bump up randomness. So seriously, while there maybe a consensus big board on the internet doesn’t make it reality in NFL war rooms, that type of info doesn’t just get leaked out of all 32 with one exception, the Cowgirls.
                          The point of the consensus board is that it assigns ranks to players based upon the views of many, many pundits, many of whom are very knowledgeable.

I am not "playing" anything. I am saying that reaching significantly (more than one round) against a consensus big board is bad draft strategy to adopt regularly as we did this year and it calls into question various picks that we made because lots of pundits have a lesser view of all of those players.

It is pretty much always a bad thing when a team selects a player in the player's early outlier range. Honestly, this is a really, really obvious concept. If a player might be a good player, average player or bad player, and we draft him with the draft capital of a good player, he has to be a good player or else the pick is a loser of draft value. So when the majority of pundits say that the player is no better than an average player, that is cause for concern.

If we rank a player #50 and 200 others ranks the player #150, that strongly suggests that we are wrong. Just because Telesco chooses a player where he thinks he is ranked does not make Telesco right. He has been wrong all over the place with draft picks.

I understand what NFL teams actually do and sometimes they make tactically inferior moves. That is what I am complaining about. A team should never be so wed to a player that they are sacrificing value just to get the player. A team should never be afraid to wait to take a player in his appropriate value range. A team should always assume that if their board as to a player represents an outlier, then their board may very well be wrong and they should weight for the player's consensus range to approach before taking the player eons early.

Comment

Working...
                          X