• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RockyMtnBoltFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Our front office decided that they were taking a QB no matter what. From that position, neither our front office nor you get any credit when other teams made the choice for us as to which QB we were getting.
    This is the type of statement that makers people question your credibility….nothing but conjecture stated as fact. Can you provide a source that states that our front office didn’t care as long as they got one of the 3 QB’s? I’d say the front office deserves a lot of credit for being patient and not giving up additional draft capital to move up and allowing a generational talent to fall in their laps. Your mindset will automatically dismiss that as luck….methinks there’s a little more to it than that.

everything I’ve seen says that they liked Herbert as the top QB in the class….I’ve read that they actually had him as their top prospect if he had come out the year before. Once again….it’s hearsay, not fact, because you can’t believe everything that comes out in the media.

finally, even if the Chargers brass did just say they’d be fine with any of the 3 QB’s, any of those would have been better picks than Simmons. I don’t think Tua is a bust just yet…I suspect that with the Shanahan system they’re going to run and the talent that they’ve surrounded him with that he is going to prove to be an above average QB this season.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
      I like the pick.

I was looking at Nick Cross, and still thi k Cross would be a good fit here, but after watching Woods' film he clearly has NFL attributes and the experience and coaching to be a day 1 starter. Baylor is a big school that llays big time D and Aranda is a good coach who runs a similar D.
      Yeah, Nick Cross and Bryan Cook were my 3rd round targets, too. But the Baylor D is a modern day defense run by a defensive guru (Aranda). JT Woods is going to be more NFL ready (in Staley defensive scheme) than just about any safety drafted. He'll come in and start Day 1. You can't say that about many 3rd round choices.

I can't wait to see this defense with all the new parts!

Comment

• Originally posted by RockyMtnBoltFan View Post

This is the type of statement that makers people question your credibility….nothing but conjecture stated as fact. Can you provide a source that states that our front office didn’t care as long as they got one of the 3 QB’s? I’d say the front office deserves a lot of credit for being patient and not giving up additional draft capital to move up and allowing a generational talent to fall in their laps. Your mindset will automatically dismiss that as luck….methinks there’s a little more to it than that.

everything I’ve seen says that they liked Herbert as the top QB in the class….I’ve read that they actually had him as their top prospect if he had come out the year before. Once again….it’s hearsay, not fact, because you can’t believe everything that comes out in the media.

finally, even if the Chargers brass did just say they’d be fine with any of the 3 QB’s, any of those would have been better picks than Simmons. I don’t think Tua is a bust just yet…I suspect that with the Shanahan system they’re going to run and the talent that they’ve surrounded him with that he is going to prove to be an above average QB this season.
        This is not the subject of this thread and those that have a role in running the forum have asked us on multiple occasions to keep things on point, meaning about J.T. Woods. I am trying to respect that direction.

So let me be absolutely clear. If you repost this in the Herbert discussion thread, I will be more than happy to respond there.

Comment

• Fleet 1
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Kauai
          • Send PM

This is not the subject of this thread and those that have a role in running the forum have asked us on multiple occasions to keep things on point, meaning about J.T. Woods. I am trying to respect that direction.

So let me be absolutely clear. If you repost this in the Herbert discussion thread, I will be more than happy to respond there.
          Yet you pulled QBs into it? You cant make a comment about us drafting QBs and then take this approach when someone responds to you about it. lol Thats sort of a strange angle to take.

This thread is a monster headache at this point. Moving it to the draft section. You guys can do whatever you want with it now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post

Yet you pulled QBs into it? You cant make a comment about us drafting QBs and then take this approach when someone responds to you about it. lol Thats sort of a strange angle to take.

This thread is a monster headache at this point. Moving it to the draft section. You guys can do whatever you want with it now.
            Fleet, I am not the one that raised the QB discussion, dmac_bolt did at post #575. Did you see that? I am the one that said the discussion was not relevant (post #591).

I am the one that tried to steer the discussion back to Woods and encouraged RockyMtnBoltFan to move the discussion to the Herbert thread where I would be happy to respond further. (See posts #593, Bolt-O's response at post #595, and post #603.)

Comment

• Fleet 1
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Kauai
              • Send PM

Fleet, I am not the one that raised the QB discussion, dmac_bolt did at post #575. Did you see that? I am the one that said the discussion was not relevant (post #591).

I am the one that tried to steer the discussion back to Woods and encouraged RockyMtnBoltFan to move the discussion to the Herbert thread where I would be happy to respond further. (See posts #593, Bolt-O's response at post #595, and post #603.)
              Ok well im sorry about that. I dont have time to dig through pages of this back and forth between you guys. But i feel like this thread should be put in the draft forum. I honestly dont care now what you guys do as long as its not in the main forum. So if you guys want to beat the horse to death go ahead. lol

Moving exhausting threads to other forums is a better resolution than locking imo. Especially since we are way passed the draft now and trying to turn the page.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post

Ok well im sorry about that. I dont have time to dig through pages of this back and forth between you guys. But i feel like this thread should be put in the draft forum. I honestly dont care now what you guys do as long as its not in the main forum. So if you guys want to beat the horse to death go ahead. lol

Moving exhausting threads to other forums is a better resolution than locking imo. Especially since we are way passed the draft now and trying to turn the page.
                I completely understand and appreciate your effort for all of us. Thank you.

Comment

• Critty
                  Dominate the Day.
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

Let me say it again. As far as I am aware, I am the only person on this forum that had the top 3 QBs in the correct order in terms of how good each would be relative to each other.

Nobody got Herbert exactly right, nobody. At least I got Herbert right as the best QB of the 2020 draft class. Just about everyone else thought Joe Burrow was the best QB in the draft class and that Tagovailoa was the second....
                  You were only one have it right, subjective and wrong.
                  Nobody had JH10?...There were TPN members that nail the Herbert pick. So you are wrong and off topic.
                  Joe Burrow? The kid in year 2 take Bengals 1 drive away from SB win....Wrong again and off topic again.
                  :deadhorse:
                  you are full of your own shit

Welcome JT "HBK" Woods :hello:

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Originally posted by Critty View Post

You were only one have it right, subjective and wrong.
                    Nobody had JH10?...There were TPN members that nail the Herbert pick. So you are wrong and off topic.
                    Joe Burrow? The kid in year 2 take Bengals 1 drive away from SB win....Wrong again and off topic again.
                    you are full of your own shit

Welcome JT "HBK" Woods :hello:
                    Critty, I am not the one that raised the 2020 draft or the QBs taken therein.

And since you raised the off topic subject, what I said I had right was the ranking of the three QBs from best to worst. Before the draft ever happened, I had:

Herbert >>>>>>>Burrow>>>>>>>Tagovailoa. I did not see anyone else have that opinion and I know you did not.

What I and everyone else, including our team, was guilty of was undervaluing Herbert. Nobody knew that he would be the best player in the 2020 draft class.

Herbert is better than Burrow, which is why all of those recent age 25 and under rankings have him ranked ahead of Burrow and have Burrow ranked ahead of Tagovailoa.

Further, it was the Bengals team that reached the Super Bowl. They did so and were competitive despite some truly putrid performances by Burrow in the playoffs and Super Bowl (28.3 QBR against TEN and 39.7 QBR against LAR). But sometimes a team gets lucky when it finds an opponent in one game whose QB somehow manages to play even worse than Burrow did.

A league average game by Tannehill and the Bengals lose to the Titans because of Burrow's poor performance. Similarly, if Mahomes does not have an absolutely abysmal end of the first half and second half, the Bengals lose, hell, get blown out by KC and would have lost in significant part because of key mistakes by Burrow, though Burrow did have a better game in that game than against TEN or LAR. And if Burrow could have even played a league average game in the Super Bowl, the Bengals likely would have beaten the Rams.

What I know is that I 100% agree with what Money Smith and Chris Hayre discussed in one of their recent podcasts about people watching that Super Bowl, seeing the level of performance and thinking, man, it was there for our team to take this season. The Rams were so spotty and inconsistent and should have lost to the 49ers, but for a dropped easy INT ball. The Bengals likely would not even have been a playoff team or finished with a winning record if the Ravens had been healthy in 2021 and should have lost to both TEN and KC before they finally did lose to LAR.

If Jackson and (big) if Watson play this year, the Bengals are battling for 3rd place in the AFCN with PIT. If Jackson and Watson play, I could see CIN losing all or almost all of their final 7 games (@TEN, KC, CLE, @TB, @NE, BUF, BAL).

Now that that is clear, I am continuing to hope that Woods will be able to take advantage of his good natural abilities (speed, height, closing ability, length and hands) and make a positive impact for us this season.

Comment

• Critty
                      Dominate the Day.
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

Critty, I am not the one that raised the ..
                      ....Now that that is clear, I am continuing to hope that Woods will be able to take advantage of his good natural abilities (speed, height, closing ability, length and hands) and make a positive impact for us this season.
                      Doesn't matter who raised it
                      deflecting accountability, not surprised you would go there.
                      Edited out all your bullshit that has nothing to do with JT Woods being a good fit and welcome addition to the team.

Go get a #22 jersey.
                      JT will have 3 or more interceptions this year.
                      Who has it better than us?

Comment

Working...
                      X