• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
    Chargers position outlook 2016: Defensive line
    11:29 AM ET

Eric D. WilliamsESPN Staff Writer

SAN DIEGO -- Adding depth to the defensive line either through the draft or free agency will be one of the top priorities for the San Diego Chargers this offseason. After firing longtime defensive line coach Don Johnson in January, the Chargers also will have a new coach leading the position group on the field in Giff Smith.

Lock: Corey Liuget, Darius Philon

On the bubble: Tenny Palepoi, Sean Lissemore, Ryan Carrethers, Ben Gardner, Chuka Ndulue

Free agents: Kendall Reyes, Ricardo Mathews, Damion Square
    Chargers defensive end Corey Liuget played a career-low 420 snaps last season due to injuries. AP Photo/Ross D. Franklin

The good: Reyes played well during the backstretch of last season. He led the defensive line with 625 snaps played, finishing with 32 combined tackles, two sacks and an interception. While the University of Connecticut product’s play has been uneven, he has not missed a game in four seasons. Philon returned from a hip injury and flashed some explosiveness as an interior pass rusher. Square played solid against the run in early downs late in the year.

The bad: San Diego’s top defensive lineman, Liuget, played a career-low 420 snaps, missing five games due to a foot injury and a left knee injury that required surgery. The Chargers need to get more out of the team’s best every-down lineman next season. San Diego gave up 4.8 yards per carry last season, third-worst in the NFL. The Chargers also allowed a league-worst 21 runs of 20-plus yards. The Chargers got just six sacks combined from the defensive line in 2015. They need more explosive plays from this group in 2016.

The money: Liuget signed a five-year contract extension last season that included $30.5 million in guaranteed money, which surprised some NFL observers. Liuget was the third-highest paid 3-4 defensive end in 2015, making $14 million. He’s scheduled to make $8.5 million in 2016, making him the fourth-highest paid 3-4 defensive end. Lissemore is scheduled to make $1.75 million on the final year of his deal.

Draft priority: With a deep pool of talent available at defensive line this year, the Chargers should select at least two defensive line prospects. Getting a good evaluation on defensive line prospects like Ohio State’s Joey Bosa and Oregon’s DeForest Buckner is important if San Diego wants to make a move at No. 3. But there’s plenty of productive talent available further down the board, including Louisville’s Sheldon Rankins, Robert Nkemdiche of Ole Miss and Alabama’s Jarran Reed. So the Chargers could trade down and still get a talented player. Bringing back Reyes in free agency at a reasonable price is not out of the question. And signing someone like Kansas City Chiefs free-agent defensive lineman Jaye Howard to a sensible deal in free agency also makes some sense.
    Uh, isn't 420 a career high? Liuget usually plays like he's high. I think Telesco was high when he extended Liguet's contract.

Comment

• Hard Charger
      Chargers fan since 1977!
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I know this is heading in another direction here, but PR's little brother is trying to make it into the draft. I don't see him being drafted, but would the Chargers pick him up as an undrafted rookie free agent? I don't think you could ask for a better mentor than your big brother. The kid has a lot of raw talent and (from what little I have seen of him), has a strong arm and is fairly accurate. With a few years of practice squad experience and holding a clipboard for his big brother, could he possibly step in behind Philip? I think this could possibly a very cheap project for the future of the team. I know I am not as well versed as most of y'all are at judging talent here, but what the hell, I say it could pay off in the end.

Please go easy with whatever y'all throw at me for even suggesting this... Let 'er rip!

HC

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Hard Charger View Post
        I know this is heading in another direction here, but PR's little brother is trying to make it into the draft. I don't see him being drafted, but would the Chargers pick him up as an undrafted rookie free agent? I don't think you could ask for a better mentor than your big brother. The kid has a lot of raw talent and (from what little I have seen of him), has a strong arm and is fairly accurate. With a few years of practice squad experience and holding a clipboard for his big brother, could he possibly step in behind Philip? I think this could possibly a very cheap project for the future of the team. I know I am not as well versed as most of y'all are at judging talent here, but what the hell, I say it could pay off in the end.

Please go easy with whatever y'all throw at me for even suggesting this... Let 'er rip!

HC
        Stephen really needs more live playing time than anything else, and he got very little at LSU and Vanderbilt. From his radio interview, I heard that he finally threw a TD in a live game in his last stop with his eligibility at Northwestern State. It would be interesting to have another Rivers in TC, but I think he might be wasting his time.

Comment

fender57
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
          Stephen really needs more live playing time than anything else, and he got very little at LSU and Vanderbilt. From his radio interview, I heard that he finally threw a TD in a live game in his last stop with his eligibility at Northwestern State. It would be interesting to have another Rivers in TC, but I think he might be wasting his time.
          I think the Chargers would be wasting their time too.

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

“I know we’re 3-4 on paper,” Telesco said during a season-ending press conference last December. “But it’s as close to a 4-3 as you’re ever going to see. We’re an under and over defense. Guys are in the gaps moving, and very rarely do we line up with a nose tackle head up on the center two-gapping with the two ends two-gapping. We don’t play that type of defense. Its’ a 3-4 by name only.”

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

So DL freelance by design? WTF?

Screw that shit, just play a D that makes sense.

Comment

• bonehead
                Undrafted
                • Jul 2013
                • TBD
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                So DL freelance by design? WTF?

Screw that shit, just play a D that makes sense.
                That's a little crude blue...I like to think of it as "Interpretive D-Line".....translating human emotions, conditions, situations or fantasies into movement and dramatic expression
                Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Did the team give them participation trophies a the end of the season?
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• bonehead
                    Undrafted
                    • Jul 2013
                    • TBD
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Yes, but no contract extensions

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

fender57
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                      Did the team give them participation trophies a the end of the season?
                      The players mommys and daddys had to pay for them.

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                        That's a little crude blue...I like to think of it as "Interpretive D-Line".....translating human emotions, conditions, situations or fantasies into movement and dramatic expression
                        They would have to wear tutus and no shoes to pull all that off. Oh wait...

Comment

• bonehead
                          Undrafted
                          • Jul 2013
                          • TBD
                          • Retired
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                          They would have to wear tutus and no shoes to pull all that off. Oh wait...
                          Yeah our D Line is a piece of work but I rate them ahead of our OLine and defensive backfield

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

Working...
                          X