• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

We would if they were as good as Bowers.
    Club Bowers has a super long line and tough security with a velvet rope. Seriously doubt you can get in

Comment

• chargeroo
      Fan since 1961
      • Jan 2019
      • Oregon
      • Retired Manager/Pastor
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Club Bowers has a super long line and tough security with a velvet rope. Seriously doubt you can get in
      Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Your right but it's hard not dream a bit when you watch him. Maybe I should just skip the JOJA games from here on in.
      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• ghost
        The Rise of Kellen Moore
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

1 Arizona Caleb Williams QB Southern California
        2 Arizona (from Houston) Marvin Harrison WR Ohio State
        3 Indianapolis Olu Fashanu OT Penn State
        4 Chicago (from Carolina) Drake Maye QB North Carolina
        5 Chicago Brock Bowers TE Georgia
        6 Tampa Bay John Alt OT Notre Dame
        7 Las Vegas Michael Penix QB Washington
        8 Atlanta Jared Verse DE Florida State
        9 Denver Dallas Turner ER Alabama
        10 LA Rams Kool-Aid McKinstry CB Alabama
        11 New England JC Latham OT Alabama
        12 Houston (from Cleveland) Rome Odunze WR Washington
        13 Washington JT Tuimoloa DE Ohio State
        14 Green Bay Kalen King CB Penn State
        15 Pittsburgh Maasen Smith DE LSU
        16 Seattle Leonard Taylor DE Miami
        17 Tennessee Emeka Egbuka WR Ohio State
        18 NY Jets Amarius Mims OT Georgia
        19 New Orleans Cooper DeJean DB Iowa
        20 Detroit Michael Hall DT Ohio State
        21 Dallas Jeremiah Trotter LB Clemson
        22 Minnesota Jer'Zhan Newton DT Illinois
        23 Baltimore Josh Newton CB TCU
        24 Jacksonville Fentrell Cypress CB Florida State
        25 Buffalo Keon Coleman WR Florida State
        26 NY Giants Laiatu Lata DE UCLA
        27 LA Chargers Kris Jenkins DT Michigan
        28 Miami Patrick Paul OT Houston
        29 Philadelphia Kamren Kinchens S Miami
        30 Kansas City Chop Robinson ER Penn State
        31 San Francisco Kingsley Suamaala OT BYU
        32 Cincinnati J'Tavion Sanders TE Texas
        First Round Mock 2024 - GBN

Comment

• colorado
          Fan since '62
          • Jun 2023
          • Desert Rat
          • Nothing but time on my hands
          • Send PM

Red River Rivalry (Shootout) Saturday....slobbernocker alert.

Texas vs OU
          Last edited by colorado; 10-04-2023, 03:49 PM.

Comment

• Fleet 1
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Kauai
            • Send PM

NFL Draft early big board: Top 25 prospects as college football nears midseason

Published Oct. 6, 2023 10:24 a.m. ET

Rob Rang
            Rob Rang
            NFL DRAFT ANALYST

It may seem like the 2023 college football season began just a few days ago, but midseason is fast approaching, making it the perfect time to highlight prospects perched atop 2024 NFL draft boards.

In several ways, this year's class feels like a repeat of last season.

Last fall it was obvious that the top three draft-eligible players in college football were quarterbacks Bryce Young and CJ Stroud, as well as edge rusher Will Anderson Jr. They, of course, wound up being the first players selected in April's draft.

Evaluations over the summer suggested that the 2024 draft might also have a "Big Three" in USC's Caleb Williams, North Carolina's Drake Maye and Ohio State's Marvin Harrison Jr. Nothing over the first six weeks of the season has altered that belief.

Perhaps even more interesting, however, is the fact that wide receivers and offensive tackles are again two of the richest positional groups. There were eight players (four each) from these positions drafted among the first 27 selections a year ago and the class of 2024 is even more gifted.

Note: This Big Board is not a mock draft. Positional value and specific NFL team needs are not taken into account. It is simply my personal ranking of the Top 25 draft-eligible prospects in college football.

1. Caleb Williams, QB, USC, 6-foot-1, 220 pounds, junior

I will fully acknowledge that it would make for a more interesting article if I ranked someone other than the reigning Heisman Trophy winner as my top prospect, but Williams offers an exceptional blend of accuracy and mobility — unique traits that translate very well to today's ultra-improvisational game. He is a special talent; a player that NFL teams might consider losing in 2023 to guarantee a chance at acquiring him. Should Caleb Williams return to USC if Bears land No. 1 pick in NFL Draft?

2. Drake Maye, QB, North Carolina, 6-4, 230, redshirt sophomore

Maye doesn't offer the "wow" factor that Williams possesses, but his awareness, anticipation and accuracy are traits that would earn him a top-5 selection in any NFL draft. Some evaluators will rank Maye as the No. 1 prospect in this draft class, and I would have a hard time arguing with them, given his prototypical frame, arm and recognition.

3. Marvin Harrison Jr., WR, Ohio State, 6-4, 208, junior

Tall, agile, explosive and sure-handed, Harrison is an even better prospect at this stage of his career than his Hall of Fame father was coming out of Syracuse. While the NFL has increasingly acknowledged the value elite receivers can provide, no one at the position has earned a top-3 selection since Calvin Johnson was the No. 2 pick back in 2007. That is the kind of company this young man keeps. Will Taulia Tagovailoa and Maryland upset Ohio State?

4. Olu Fashanu, OT, Penn State, 6-6, 319, junior

Players tipping the scales at nearly 320 pounds rarely warrant the term "graceful" in their scouting report, but that is precisely the word that comes to mind with Fashanu, a three-year starter with elite agility, balance and length who has yet to surrender a single sack in his college career.

5. Brock Bowers, TE, Georgia, 6-4, 230, junior

It is easy to venture into hyperbole with Bowers, whose soft hands, agility and competitiveness make him the best college tight end I've ever evaluated, a player who reminds me of San Francisco 49ers star George Kittle. Like Kittle, Bowers is a significantly better blocker than his size might suggest, but it is his ability as a pass-catcher that will ultimately make him a star in the NFL.

6. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia, 6-7, 320, junior

Like the previously mentioned Fashanu, Mims has yet to allow a single sack at the college level, and from a scouting perspective, accomplishing that against SEC competition is quite the statement. Unlike Fashanu, Mims lines up at right tackle, but he's built like a future blindside protector, possessing a relatively long, lanky frame with exceptional power and mobility. Unfortunately for both Georgia and Mims, individually, he suffered a high ankle sprain in Week 3 against South Carolina that required surgery, putting his season (and NFL draft stock) on pause.

7. Dallas Turner, Edge, Alabama, 6-4, 242, junior

Stop me if you've heard this before, but a former five-star recruit is becoming one of the country's elite NFL prospects under Nick Saban's tutelage. Turner flashed a year ago while running second fiddle to Anderson, and he's on pace to shatter his already impressive career-high of 8.5 (as a true freshman) with 5.5 through the first five contests this year. Though he's not Anderson's equivalent against the running game just yet, Turner is sleek and slithery off the snap and is quickly emerging as the best pass rusher in the 2024 NFL draft. Will the SEC powerhouses be toppled?

8. Keon Coleman, WR, Florida State, 6-4, 215, junior

It isn't often that non-quarterbacks earn real Heisman consideration in today's era, but with six touchdowns in four games (on just 17 receptions), this uniquely gifted Michigan State transfer has the production for a playoff contender to warrant that type of buzz. A fluid, coordinated athlete with sticky hands and excellent body control, Coleman has the look of a top-20 pick.

9. Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama, 6-1, 195, junior

Pardon the pun, but NFL teams "thirsty" for a cover corner have turned to Alabama for years now, and that will once again be the case in 2023 with McKinstry, who offers the light feet and loose hips to run with any receiver downfield. While boasting true man-to-man cover skills, Kool-Aid isn't without his cavities, as he needs to show greater ball skills (two career interceptions on 20 pass breakups) and consistency as an open-field tackler.

10. Malik Nabers, WR, LSU, 6-0, 200, junior

I don't take comparisons to San Francisco superstar Deebo Samuel lightly, but there are very few wide receivers who can beat defenders with their speed, elusiveness and power, but that is the skill set Nabers has flashed with LSU. His natural playmaking ability has flickered since his true freshman season in 2021, but with a career-high five touchdowns in as many games this season, Nabers has taken his game to a whole other level as a junior.

11. Emeka Egbuka, WR, Ohio State, 6-1, 205, junior

It is easy to get overshadowed by a talent like Harrison, but Egbuka is a legitimate first-round candidate in his own right, offering the NFL a prototypical blend of size, suddenness and soft hands. Egbuka is a quality route-runner with experience inside and out, and he boasts one of the best stutter steps in college football, using it beautifully to create both before and after the catch. Ohio State, Georgia, and Alabama could be on upset alert

12. Jer'Zhan Newton, Illinois, 6-2, 295, junior

The NFL's shift to more of a pass-happy league in recent years minimizes the value of most defensive tackles, but interior rushers who can penetrate are all the more important. Newton has a stubby, powerful frame, and he's both quick upfield and quite agile, flashing the upper and lower body coordination reminiscent of Javon Hargrave, who is excelling in San Francisco after signing a four-year $84 million contract.

13. Nate Wiggins, CB, Clemson, 6-2, 185, junior

It isn't often that you come across cornerbacks with Wiggins' height and light feet. His backpedal, hip fluidity and quickness to close is the kind of stuff that every NFL team that values man-to-man cover skills salivates over.

14. McKinnley Jackson, DT, Texas A&M, 6-2, 320, senior

Even as the NFL shifts towards pass-rushers on the inside, I'll fully admit that I'm a sucker for traditional nose guards with power and agility. Jackson has a grand total of 10 tackles through the first five games of the season (as well as 3.5 tackles for loss and two sacks), but he routinely disrupts the opponent — and let's be clear, isn't that the point?

15. Adonai Mitchell, WR, Texas, 6-4, 196, junior

Entering the season, there were a number of NFL-caliber prospects on the Texas roster that made Steve Sarkisian's squad a worthy national champion candidate. With all due respect to quarterback Quinn Ewers and the rest of the Longhorns, however, it is Mitchell — a playmaking transfer from Georgia — who intrigues me the most due to his exceptional blend of height, acceleration and upside. Oklahoma vs. Texas: 'Biggest Red River game in 15 YEARS!'

16. Rome Odunze, WR, Washington, 6-3, 217, junior

While I am intrigued by the accuracy of Washington's Michael Penix Jr. — the first legitimate Heisman Trophy candidate for the Huskies since perhaps 1992 No. 1 overall pick Steve Emtman — it is his weapons on the outside that excite me even more. Odunze was reportedly clocked in the 4.3s prior to this season, and his playmaking ability is undeniable, with the prototypically-built speedster averaging a career-high 19 yards per catch in 2023, with four touchdowns in five games thus far this season.

17. Jared Verse, Edge, Florida State, 6-4, 260, redshirt junior

After taking the ACC by storm last season with 17 tackles for loss and nine sacks following his transfer from Albany, Verse entered the 2023 campaign as one of the more celebrated pass rushers in college football. The second "verse" has not yet been as good as the first, however, with the power-packed redshirt junior registering just half a sack through the first four games. Verse is quick off the ball, but it is his strength and upper-body coordination that has scouts most intrigued.

18. Joe Alt, OT, Notre Dame, 6-7, 322, junior

Football remains a big man's game, and few check in larger than Notre Dame's Alt, who offers imposing height, arm length and punch for pass protection. Some have concerns about his relatively high-cut frame and wonder if, like his Notre Dame predecessor Mike McGlinchey, Alt won't be better suited on the right side in the NFL, but he is a relatively pro-ready tackle in a league desperate for them. Crucial games for Colorado, Notre Dame in Week 6

19. Kamren Kinchens, S, Miami, 6-0, 205, junior

As the NFL has adopted more of an up-tempo passing attack, deep safeties have understandably dropped in value. True ballhawks, however, remain an exception, and that applies to Kinchens, who had a hand in eight turnovers a year ago (including six interceptions) and has two more already this season, demonstrating the range, vision and soft hands every NFL team is looking to add to the roster.

20. Cooper DeJean, DB, Iowa, 6-1, 207, junior

I am likely to be higher on DeJean than most, as I will admit that I am a sucker for natural playmakers, especially those with a bloodhound's nose for the football like DeJean. Now listed at cornerback, DeJean was moved all around Iowa's defense a year ago, seeing time at cornerback, safety, outside linebacker and punt returner, demonstrating the swivel hips and greasy knees to change directions fluidly, as well as an intriguing burst to the ball.

21. Maason Smith, DT, LSU, 6-5, 300, redshirt sophomore

With just 1.5 sacks over his first four games of the 2023 season, Smith lacks the stats to intrigue box score scouts, but true NFL evaluators are noting his rare blend of size, power and burst. Smith doesn't come without complications — he missed all but the first game a year ago due to a torn ACL and was suspended for the 2023 season-opener for a pre-NIL signing that the NCAA ruled was inappropriate.

22. Laiatu Latu, Edge, UCLA, 6-5, 265, junior

Bruins fans will hate to hear a comparison to a cross-town rival, but there are a lot of similarities between Latu and former USC star Tuli Tuipulotu, the No. 54 overall selection of last spring's draft (by the Los Angeles Chargers and the Defensive Lineman of the Year in the Pac-12. Both are more smooth than truly explosive off the edge, complementing speed with power, technique, positional versatility, awareness and, most importantly, production, with Latu registering 14.5 sacks in his last 17 games, dating back to 2022.

23. Tory Horton, WR, Colorado State, 6-2, 187, senior

It isn't often that players outside the so-called "Power 5" are selected in the first round of the NFL draft, but Horton is one of the rare talents who deserve consideration. Simply put, this guy just moves differently, plucking passes and shifting gears so smoothly that he'll almost surely earn an invitation to a prominent all-star game following the season, where I expect his 24 career touchdowns (in 36 games at Colorado State and previously at Nevada) will only expand.

24. JC Latham, OT, Alabama, 6-6, 335, junior

The turnstile of talent in Tuscaloosa is like few others, and Latham certainly looks the part of the next Alabama first-round pick along the offensive line. He offers impressive quickness, length and power for his massive frame, but, like the Tide, as a whole in 2023, he's struggled a bit with consistency this season and needs to ratchet up his game to generate the first-round selection many assumed heading into his second season as Alabama's starting right tackle.

25. Jonah Elliss, Edge, Utah, 6-3, 246, junior

Elliss has NFL bloodlines, production against top competition and a varied pass-rush repertoire that will make him much higher rated among the scouting community than his relative lack of media attention would suggest. Cat-quick and long-armed and more powerful than he looks, Elliss is one of the fastest-rising prospects in the country this season.

Comment

• Fleet 1
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Kauai
              • Send PM

Im obsessed with Harrison.

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

Trade UP
                Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Wow, UCLA getting well fucked out of 2 TDs.

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Let's get right tackle and then a CB and then TE, then RB.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by YAC View Post

I agree 100% on that, but not on the bigger picture.

If the Chargers are drafting in the top ten next year they absolutely gotta trade down and get a bevy of picks. This stock is deep and rich. Bowers alone won't change the team.

I'm still miffed we drafted QJ and didn't trade down. We could have landed a better WR + extra picks to restock a thin roster. (Never liked QJ as a top 50 pick)
                      They won’t be drafting in the top 10. And i think they need to look across the LOS for a monster IDL, a sticky CB, or a beastly Edge. Not sure if that’s my order …
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltgang74
                        We Are The Storm!
                        • Aug 2018
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

They won’t be drafting in the top 10. And i think they need to look across the LOS for a monster IDL, a sticky CB, or a beastly Edge. Not sure if that’s my order …
                        Find another Tuli!

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                          Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                          • Feb 2019
                          • McLean Illinois
                          • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Let's get right tackle and then a CB and then TE, then RB.
                          Unless we find common ground with Eke, we better not be waiting til our 4th pick for a RB...unless we see some breakout games from Spiller(doubtful) or Dotson...

For me its CB, RB, OC, and a developmental edge who, with Rumph, will back up Tuli and Bosa...If Mack or Linsley or Eke return, it would change things...but all 3 are up in the air at this point...
                          Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

Working...
                          X