• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
    If the Chargers drop from 5 to 8 and have at least the 40 in exchange, it would be like ...
    In 2018, trade B. Chubb for Roq. Smith and C. Sutton or
    In 2001, trade L. Tomlinson for D. Terrell and K. Lucas
    I'm O.K. with the 2018 one but not the other.
    Someone remembers the Chargers 3rd round pick in 2001 ?
    I wish I saw an LT in the 2024 draft worthy of 5. We sure could use that guy - he erases mistakes by 9 other guys often.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
      Chargers Hall of Fame
      • Sep 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

A blue chipper, or close to it, can be had in picks #8-10...think of all the years we picked at the mid teens...to be still picking in the top 10 AFTER a trade down is pretty cool...
      I suppose. But not drafting either MHJ, Malik, and Bowers worries me. Which blue chippers 8 - 10 (IF those are the teams who trade up with us) would you be just as happy with?

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Devil’s advocate here, but wasn’t Sayler one of the top ROTs coming out? I know we picked him in the sixth round but that is his natural position, not guard. I thought we slotted him there in preseason or early games his rookie year and he did okay - better than Pip if memory serves. But Pip was Staley’s boy so Sayler started taking reps at guard.

If we don’t draft an OT high, then I would advocate to let these two battle it out in TC in the new scheme, see who needs less chip help (and it might be Sayler..).

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Tony Maderich and Robert Gallery say hello. McGlichy hasn't been that great either. He finished with a 67.5 grade, which according to PFF is the backup category. Pip finished with a 62.8

So it isnt fool proof as you like to point out about Bowers. But I do get it. OL usually a safer pick. Still, TE is a bigger drop off after Bowers than CB is from Kool Aid.

HOWEVER, if we get Harbaugh he will be interested...imo in fixing then trenches more than fixing WR and CB. They all matter but he seems like a LOS guy. Whether or not TE is included in that im not sure but if he wants to go with two TE sets, it should be.
          My point about McGlinchey... a college LT usually has no problem transitioning to RT... especially if they are an OT that warrants a Top-10 pick. I thought you didn't like PFF. I see they have your boy Kincaid rated just below McGlinchey @67.2 They had McGlinchey rated @74.8 his rookie year.

If we're comparing strictly TE's to CB's in the 2nd and 3rd rounds... then yes, I'm picking CB's over TE's. But if we're comparing CB's to all players (say center Sedrick Van Pran) then I'm picking Van Pran (or a number of other players) over any of the 2nd/3rd round CB's. In the 4th round is where I start keeping my eyes open for a TE.

If it comes down to Harbaugh, OL/DL are important... no doubt. But there is one player we don't have to wonder about whether Harbaugh likes him or not... tha'st Kool Aid McKinstry. Just go watch the collegiate playoff game Michigan vs Alabama. Harbaugh didn't throw Kool-Aid's way all game... not even once. He targeted Terrion Arnold (one of your 2nd round boys). Meanwhile, his TE's were not very good receivers. They were mostly blockers.

If we're using Harbaugh as our indicator al all, there are plenty of his former players I would welcome with open arms (mostly on defense). IDL Kris Jenkins and LB Junior Colson would be my choices over any of those 2nd/3rd round CB's you've suggested. One of those 2nd/3rd round CB's might even be Mike Sainristil. Some people like him here... but I'm not a fan (certainly not over Colson/Jenkins). His game vs Washington showed that he can't cover NFL caliber receivers without grabbing and holding them. He was lucky not to get flagged... that won't happen in the NFL.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2022
            • White Rock, BC Canada
            • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

I suppose. But not drafting either MHJ, Malik, and Bowers worries me. Which blue chippers 8 - 10 (IF those are the teams who trade up with us) would you be just as happy with?
            There is a case to be made for another stud tackle to shore up Herberts protection for years to come

However, this offense has badly needed an explosive playmaker for years. You are at 5 with a chance to get an elite one like Nabers.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
              Chargers Hall of Fame
              • Sep 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

There is a case to be made for another stud tackle to shore up Herberts protection for years to come

However, this offense has badly needed an explosive playmaker for years. You are at 5 with a chance to get an elite one like Nabers.
              Yup I wish we could grab a stud OT. I do. But I am tired of passing on explosive playmaking blue chip types. All of it is a roll of the dice, for sure. But so many of these guys come in and thrive right away. Why can't we ever have one? Let's get one.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

The only thing I am tired of is not winning.

It is time to eat our vegetables.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

My point about McGlinchey... a college LT usually has no problem transitioning to RT... especially if they are an OT that warrants a Top-10 pick. I thought you didn't like PFF. I see they have your boy Kincaid rated just below McGlinchey @67.2 They had McGlinchey rated @74.8 his rookie year.

If we're comparing strictly TE's to CB's in the 2nd and 3rd rounds... then yes, I'm picking CB's over TE's. But if we're comparing CB's to all players (say center Sedrick Van Pran) then I'm picking Van Pran (or a number of other players) over any of the 2nd/3rd round CB's. In the 4th round is where I start keeping my eyes open for a TE.

If it comes down to Harbaugh, OL/DL are important... no doubt. But there is one player we don't have to wonder about whether Harbaugh likes him or not... tha'st Kool Aid McKinstry. Just go watch the collegiate playoff game Michigan vs Alabama. Harbaugh didn't throw Kool-Aid's way all game... not even once. He targeted Terrion Arnold (one of your 2nd round boys). Meanwhile, his TE's were not very good receivers. They were mostly blockers.

If we're using Harbaugh as our indicator al all, there are plenty of his former players I would welcome with open arms (mostly on defense). IDL Kris Jenkins and LB Junior Colson would be my choices over any of those 2nd/3rd round CB's you've suggested. One of those 2nd/3rd round CB's might even be Mike Sainristil. Some people like him here... but I'm not a fan (certainly not over Colson/Jenkins). His game vs Washington showed that he can't cover NFL caliber receivers without grabbing and holding them. He was lucky not to get flagged... that won't happen in the NFL.
                  I dont, but you and others do, and its used in a debate. I like what PFF does, i dont like how they come up with their numbers. I think it is skewed but it dont stop posters from using it and we have seen many numbers on players and we all go WTF?

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

Yup I wish we could grab a stud OT. I do. But I am tired of passing on explosive playmaking blue chip types. All of it is a roll of the dice, for sure. But so many of these guys come in and thrive right away. Why can't we ever have one? Let's get one.
                    I look at this differently. I see stud OT's as enabling a team to create explosive plays... whether it's creating time for a WR to get open or whether it's an OT creating holes for RB's to burst through. I sure would like to see Justin have enough time to use that rocket arm of his to a WR downfield. I sure would like to see an offense that can get more than 3.8 ypc. in the run game.

Our former OC Lombardi and current OC Moore were able to create explosive plays in New Orleans and Dallas. Yet, both of them kept JH from going downfield very much. Was that for lack of an explosive offensive playmaker...? Or did they recognize our shortcomings at the OT position...?

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2023
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Floyal Rush View Post

I think that year was Tay Cody. One of those few far back drafts I can remember because of LT.
                      Nice get!

The 2nd round guy was okay too.

4rth round? I'm thinking it was that linebacker from USC .... Zeke Moreno.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                        Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                        • Feb 2019
                        • McLean Illinois
                        • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                        • Send PM

Bowers no matter what...but...

Nabors tape is awful damn impressive...this kid is a dawg...where MHJr is a smooth operator, seeming to glide through his routes, and has a knack for getting open, Nabors is explosive and physical in every aspect of his game, from running thru press, to contested catches, and of course, run after catch...actually like this kid A LOT...have him above Odunze...and him and MHjr are neck in neck...would not surprise me if a team, who is looking for that specific type of skillset in a reciever, has him above MHJr.
                        Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Everyone is down on Quentin Johnston... but he was specifically drafted for his traits. Telesco drafted him because he believed that he could execute at all three levels. I think Telesco drafted him as an unfinished project. I think Telesco drafted him with plans to eventually replace KA or MW in his 2nd year. Maybe the problem wasn't with the player... maybe the problem was with his usage...?

Were his hands a problem...? Yes. But there were glimpses of what he could become... and how he could be used...
                          Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                          X