Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

Linsley out is the big reason.
    The two guards have to work harder.
    I don't think Salyer and Johnson are able to compensate.
    I question training and scheme. Agree about Linsley, but IMO it's his leadership that is missed most. A good OC and OL Coach should pick up more of the slack. Johnson and Salyer were 2nd year players in new positions. Somebody owed them some help. Play calls, auxiliary blockers, dumb it down. They didn't get much. They got lost a lot. Coaching sucked when it counted.

Comment

• QuiteFrankly
      Since Balboa Stadium
      • Sep 2022
      • LA
      • Send PM

The best pass rusher available. Bosa was a good pick but turned out to be injury prone. After QB...pass rusher the most beneficial player.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
        Beef Before Gazelles
        • May 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by QuiteFrankly View Post
        The best pass rusher available. Bosa was a good pick but turned out to be injury prone. After QB...pass rusher the most beneficial player.
        If I'm not mistaken, you're describing either UCLA D-lineman Laiatu Latu, or Alabama Front Seven Defender Dallas Turner.

Laiatu is one of *my* guys., a player I'd be jacked about seeing become a Charger.

Comment

• Floyal Rush
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by NOrvMeNow View Post

Nice get!

The 2nd round guy was okay too.

4rth round? I'm thinking it was that linebacker from USC .... Zeke Moreno.
          Moreno I think?? was 5th or 6th. 4th I remember because I wanted him. Good ol Carlos Polk I believe.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

I question training and scheme. Agree about Linsley, but IMO it's his leadership that is missed most. A good OC and OL Coach should pick up more of the slack. Johnson and Salyer were 2nd year players in new positions. Somebody owed them some help. Play calls, auxiliary blockers, dumb it down. They didn't get much. They got lost a lot. Coaching sucked when it counted.
            Bingo.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

This mock draft is almost a month old, and before the draft order but 2 big points that's been discussed here...

He believes Alt can play ORT
              And Brock is a "hedge bet" against QJ not becoming the guy and Allen's age.

"No Brock after he's gone."
              Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                This mock draft is almost a month old, and before the draft order but 2 big points that's been discussed here...

He believes Alt can play ORT
                And Brock is a "hedge bet" against QJ not becoming the guy and Allen's age.

"No Brock after he's gone."
                Were picking 5 and they say Bears with Nabers pick...hmmmm...Nabers> Bowers. meh.....
                Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by NOrvMeNow View Post

I'm not buying the weakness in the Oline argument.
                  Steichen had lesser players on his Charger Oline, and yet Herbert went downfield consistently that year.

I'm guessing it was Staley preaching no turnover football in his OC's ears.

Chargers typically won the turnover battle under BS, and still lost the game, which tells me it's a somewhat overblown truism in the league.
                  Of course Herbert went downfield more with Steichen than he did with Lombardi.
                  They have completely different philosophies.

Running the ball well always makes passing the ball easier.
                  Having better OT's always gives your QB more time.
                  An effective OL coach make everyone better.
                  My point was... Frank Smith was effective. Even when he had Storm Norton at RT.

Comment

• madcaplaughs
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Were picking 5 and they say Bears with Nabers pick...hmmmm...Nabers> Bowers. meh.....
                    I wonder it it's possible that the bears would pick Nabers, then have Daniels fall to them. I hope they stick with Fields, but you never know

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

OL, QB, WR, RB…the entire O regressed under Staley and his OCs. But look at what a good coach did for our STs.

Coach up the O talent we have, bet we win a few more of those one-score games we always infuriatingly lose.

Comment

• Go Chargers go
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2023
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by madcaplaughs View Post

I wonder it it's possible that the bears would pick Nabers, then have Daniels fall to them. I hope they stick with Fields, but you never know
                        If Bears trade back with Patriots I see first 3 pick being QB. Giant might trade up for QB as well. Could get us Harrison or Fashanu. If those two somehow are gone I trade back with someone looking for QB.

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Along the OL. We know how good Slater and Linsley are/were. Both earned a Pro Bowl start at one point in their career. I know that Zion is good @LG. His sophmore tape @BC is remarkable. I have no doubt he will be good once someone develops him properly. Salyer did an amazing job (@LT no less) when Slater went down. Pip is Pip. I'd let Salyer have a shot @RT. In the end, your OC and OL coach have to do a better job of teaching. Throw the complicated blocking schemes in the trash. Let these guys play. I have my doubts that the Spanii can land Harbaugh... but if they can, I'd love to see some of his Michigan players in powder blues. I think he'd build a better defense and pay more attention to the trenches.

Comment

Working...
                          X