• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Bryce Young was taken #1 overall. The only dispute was whether he'd go #1 or #2. He was certainly supposed to be the Franchise QB.
    But he ran into poor coaching and no talent around him. You will never convince me that Young was not tagged as a Franchise QB.
    You can say that now, but not then.

You put Maye in NE with the current situation and he's not going to succeed.
    I know the consensus last year and his #1 pick, you’re right he was considered best by many “experts”, though in hindsight a few experts are notable for bucking that trend in advance. I never thought he was a #1 pick, I never would have taken him. I said so then. I thought he was a midget and I have a visceral repulsion to midget QBs. He’s not even a fast runner for a midget. Maybe I’m right in that, idunno, gonna be a few more years to confirm / refute for sure. His OL last year was one of the worst in the league, how much was him?

The point wasnt about him or 2023 - it’s about this draft and general strategy. NE not taking a QB because they need to fill other holes seems unwise to me. If you’re pick 3 and a possible franchise QB is on the board, you take the QB. There’s current consensus there are at least 3 franchise QBs in this draft, maybe 4 (JJ) with 2 more with questions. Are experts right this year? Beats me again. I wonder about Caleb, personally. Maybe has great skills and also significant flaws, can he correct them and harness his talents at NFL level? JJ is heating up as experts study his tape more, I haven’t studied it. ??? It’s often uncertain, that never stops teams from taking that chance because a QB more than any position changes a team’s trajectory - both up if good and down down down if bad. Their current QB is bad bad bad.

teams usually don’t plan to be back at pick #3 or better again in another year, and most estimates are next year’s QB class is not as good anyway (I don’t konw that - just repeating whats been written here).

I’d be surprised if they don’t take a QB but anything’s possible.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
      Beef Before Gazelles
      • May 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

ok, duly noted.... Fuaga not a top ten talent,

do you take him @11 if we get that pick in trade w/Minny, or.... do you like Brock better ??
      You weren't asking *me*, but I would say that Bowers would be an exceptional value at #11. Fuaga would, IMO, be average value at #11.

Maybe Mims becomes the target with the #23 overall pick acquired from the Vikings in the trade down from #5. So many different ways to get the job done.

Comment

• MusicMakerInMe
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2020
        • Send PM

Only if we get both of Minnesota's picks:

A trade back for Fuaga and Fautanu would be incredible.
        Both of those players are highly projected to be elite interior linemen and starter-level OT's => which means depth at tackle.

You've basically accounted for four positions with two 1st-round quality picks, in the trenches no less.

You want an ultra WR? Look at the cap space we got next year. That's when you get NFL-proven ballers with NFL Playoff experience.
        Draft a WR in the 2nd and maybe 3rd, this WR class is deep.

Harbaugh gets his OL and Justin gets his weapons.

Jets signing a FA LT basically means they go Bowers and that's ideal for us to shore up the interior OL and provide depth/potential at tackle.
        Last edited by MusicMakerInMe; 03-16-2024, 09:42 AM.

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

ok, duly noted.... Fuaga not a top ten talent,

do you take him @11 if we get that pick in trade w/Minny, or.... do you like Brock better ??
          I'm with you Beach... Fuaga @#11. He's the best run-blocker in the draft. Both Harbaugh and Hortiz have said numerous times that they are going to run the ball and protect the QB. In the Greg Roman system, your WR's will be unheralded. QJ and JP should do just fine. JP takes over short/mid range route running duties. QJ will be over the top target (especially with a run game and play action). Picking up Hayden Hurst and Will Dissly are shrewd pick-ups for Roman's offense. Blocking TE and receiving TE. Hurst was the 25th pick. QJ was the 21st pick. In Roman's offense, this will work. What won't work is having an OT that is not very goos at run blocking or pass blocking.

Would I like WR and TE depth later in the draft...? Yes. Should we forgo an opportunity to move back...? No.
          If they can get #11 and #23 for the #5, then you have to do that deal.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

I predicted a while back that the Vikings would trade up to 5 with the Chargers, but what are the odds that the Cardinals want 3 picks in the 1st round? from their POV good players are getting pushed down by all the QB selections at the top...IDK, I'm still hopeful that the Viking moves are designed to get the 5th pick from us...
            "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I'm with you Beach... Fuaga @#11. He's the best run-blocker in the draft. Both Harbaugh and Hortiz have said numerous times that they are going to run the ball and protect the QB. In the Greg Roman system, your WR's will be unheralded. QJ and JP should do just fine. JP takes over short/mid range route running duties. QJ will be over the top target (especially with a run game and play action). Picking up Hayden Hurst and Will Dissly are shrewd pick-ups for Roman's offense. Blocking TE and receiving TE. Hurst was the 25th pick. QJ was the 21st pick. In Roman's offense, this will work. What won't work is having an OT that is not very goos at run blocking or pass blocking.

Would I like WR and TE depth later in the draft...? Yes. Should we forgo an opportunity to move back...? No.
              I'd be fine with Fuaga: I like the guy.

I also feel Pip is far more likely to get the job done than QJ/JP in Greg Roman's offense.

Going into the playoffs with a deep ball threat who cannot track or hand fight for deep balls,
              and a receiver # 3 with an injury history
              is just begging to get bounced in the 1rst round of the playoffs every year.

It would be a waste of Herbert's talents, for sure;
              nor would it mitigate interior pressure.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Baltimore's top selection in 5 of the last 9 drafts have been pass catchers.
                In addition, one 2nd selection, in the first round, was a pass catcher

They generally have missed on these selections.
                The notion that Baltimore does not value receivers and are content with ham and eggers is far from the truth.

Given their high miss rate late in the 1rst round, getting a sure fire stud receiver at #5 would be advisable.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Bryce Young was taken #1 overall. The only dispute was whether he'd go #1 or #2. He was certainly supposed to be the Franchise QB.
                  But he ran into poor coaching and no talent around him. You will never convince me that Young was not tagged as a Franchise QB.
                  You can say that now, but not then.

You put Maye in NE with the current situation and he's not going to succeed.
                  Go heavy on the offensive side in the draft and free agency;
                  pretty much stick to what you have on defense.

Run the ball a lot; that's what I would do if I were New England

Comment

• charger1_sj
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Everett wasn't a playmaker. I think both TEs we signed are better than Everett. Adding Bowers makes it a real good unit.

Id also be good with Odunze at 11 or even Fuaga or a CB.. Still waiting to see if we do much else in FAcy.
                    I don't think so. Everett is a receiving TE. Hurst at his finest was about the same. But he's a injury concern. Dissly is
                    a better blocking TE than Everett. But he's not a playmaker. So in as far as receiving goes we are worst off until such
                    time as Hurst shows he can play and stay healthy.

At the moment we have one of the worst receiving group in the NFL. It will be a shock if we don't take a receiver @5 or @11
                    if it goes that way. I think taking an OT or CB with our first just fell off the table when we traded Allen. I expect a CB with
                    our 2nd pick. If we don't pick up a center in FA, expect it with our 3rd or 4th selection. LB could very well be our 3rd. Even
                    RB will be in play in those middle rounds. OL will be addressed in the 5th-7th rounds as we will need backups especially
                    swing tackle.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Yeah but.....Greg or Jim never had a Hebert either. Its why both are so excited to have him. Roman even said when talking to Haley....we will run the ball but there will be games we pass the ball more than we run it as well.

This isnt a Keapernick or Lamar type of QB. Those QBs ran often,..Lamar still will and a big reason why they led the league in rushing. NO RB there has led the team in rushing with him there. Herbert wont run often and is a better passer than both. So YES, we will run and run often than we are used to but the pass isnt dead.

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I'd be fine with Fuaga: I like the guy.

I also feel Pip is far more likely to get the job done than QJ/JP in Greg Roman's offense.

Going into the playoffs with a deep ball threat who cannot track or hand fight for deep balls,
                        and a receiver # 3 with an injury history
                        is just begging to get bounced in the 1rst round of the playoffs every year.

It would be a waste of Herbert's talents, for sure;
                        nor would it mitigate interior pressure.
                        If QJ can catch a deep pass from Stick... he can catch a deep pass from Herbert.
                        If you really want to waste Herbert's talents... let Mad Maxx throw Pip to the side at let him rag-doll Justin.
                        That would be a waste. Do you really think Pipkins can get the job done...?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

I don't think so. Everett is a receiving TE. Hurst at his finest was about the same. But he's a injury concern. Dissly is
                          a better blocking TE than Everett. But he's not a playmaker. So in as far as receiving goes we are worst off until such
                          time as Hurst shows he can play and stay healthy.

At the moment we have one of the worst receiving group in the NFL. It will be a shock if we don't take a receiver @5 or @11
                          if it goes that way. I think taking an OT or CB with our first just fell off the table when we traded Allen. I expect a CB with
                          our 2nd pick. If we don't pick up a center in FA, expect it with our 3rd or 4th selection. LB could very well be our 3rd. Even
                          RB will be in play in those middle rounds. OL will be addressed in the 5th-7th rounds as we will need backups especially
                          swing tackle.
                          Right and Everett isnt a playmaker either. Both those guys are at least as good a reciever and are better blockers...therefore imo are better overall. And why i think Bowers is still in play. Add that guy and TE is a strength and we are good for the 3 TE sets.

Comment

Working...
                          X