• Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Hasn't worked-won't work.
    Which is why I am calling for rebuilding the right side of our offensive line...
    with attitude.
    Agree we need to rebuild/rework our O line...but how does this relate to Mahomes? TOP and eating up the clock?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

The talk of trading for Jefferson is...
      --either from Vikings bloggers expecting us to bail them out--hey you guys signed up for the Kirk Cousins experience
      --or it is from short sighted, misinformed Charger types--do you understand that ws are right in the middle of transforming to becoming a team with depth and no weakness.

There--bullseye, right in your cornflakes.
      Sincerely, Moody wu.
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Oh good fucking grief.
        Yeah sure.
        Defensive coordinators across the league are taking notes.
        Don't understand that one, Wood...usually your takes are pretty solid...which part of this defensive plan do u disagree with?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Agree we need to rebuild/rework our O line...but how does this relate to Mahomes? TOP and eating up the clock?
          You are kidding, right ?

The Mahomes story line has been very consistent, for years.

Either he gets in rhythm and builds up a lead, due to opponents repeatedly failing to convert and move the chains

or

occasionally, but nearly never in post season, teams do what you describe, namely successfully stymie Patrick, only to have him pull a rabbit out of his hat as time expires.

In my view, and more relevantly I believe in Jim Harbaugh's view, running successfully when we need to, is the path to multiple Super Bowl wins.

Respectfully submitted,
          wu of the do or dai Clan.

Comment

• charger1_sj
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

We couldn't finish drives because we had no running game... we were way too predictable. Defenses simply blitzed and dropped everyone else into passing lanes. No one WR (or TE) can save you from that. Your best chance to beat the Chiefs is to sustain a nice 6 minute march to the endzone at the end of the game. It's the only proven way to beat the Chiefs. We've done it... others have done it. Trying to air it out against the Chiefs defense in the last minute will be a colossal failure... every time. They've invested in their DL, LB's, and secondary. You will be trying to attack their strength.

In the unfortunate event that the Chiefs get the ball with 2 minutes left... you better have the defense to cover and pressure. There is no 1st round WR or TE that will help you defend. They'll be sitting helplessly on the sideline watching the Chiefs shred your 4th and 5th round defenders.
            You can't run the ball when there is 2 minutes left in the game. You have to anticipate the blitz and plan for it. Poor coaching, poor play calling, poor
            pre snap recognition. Nothing to do with running the football. Earlier in the game yes we definitely need a running game.

Agreed sustain long drives and running the football helps do that. We are in agreement there.

The Chiefs D can be beat. But you have to have the right ingredients. Difficult to do in 2 minutes but it can be done. Both the Eagles and 49ers had
            the right ingredients but they failed due to mistakes. Same thing with the Ravens. There are a tough bunch to beat, but they also have had some
            good luck in big games.

Late in the game defenses tire. We seen this over and over again. You're not going to stop Mahomes late in the 4th quarter. You either built up
            a big enough lead, or run out the clock with long drives as mentioned.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
              Charger Fan since 1978
              • Sep 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

I think once the workouts, visits, and prodays are all but wrapped up, maybe a week or two before the draft, is when you could see Minn make their move...only caveat is if AZ decides to sit as long as possible, and sweat the suitors into upping their offers 11th hour.

AZ is in the drivers seat...only chance we have to benefit from this deal is if AZ decides they wanna stay top 5 for a big WR, and enlist us in a three way trade...fingers crossed.

Only other scenario where we benefit...AZ wants MHjr, but Jim doesnt blink, AZ stays at 4 to get him, and we get the trade deal all to ourselves...serious poker...gotta be sure AZ wants MHjr, but will lose out if they move back with Giants...

Love the intrigue...
              The Giants are an interesting team in this draft, they need a QB too and at 6 they are probably in the best position to move up, especially if one of those top teams doesn't want to go too far back...
              "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                Charger Fan since 1978
                • Sep 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

Since the whole QB thing hinges around pick 4-5, Ive been listening to other teams podcasts to see what they’re temperatures are on the topic but they also talk about other prospects and according to many of these guys Graham Barton’s name keeps coming up. A lot. He is the best C by far in this draft to all these guys. And no one thinks he’s getting out of the 1st. He’s also a really good G.
                Barton is a beast, I have him over JPJ and it's not just because he is WAY more versatile, it's because he fucking reminds me of Kris Dielman
                "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Don't understand that one, Wood...usually your takes are pretty solid...which part of this defensive plan do u disagree with?
                  "Hasn't worked-won't work."

Your plan has been tried and the results are in.
                  The Chiefs are two time defending Super Bowl Champions
                  Mahomes-Kelce-Reid-Spagnola-Veach.
                  They are prohibitive favorites to win the next Super Bowl.
                  Mahomes is on pace to have a career that exceeds Tom Brady.

It is not that your plan is not smart--it is smart.
                  The problem is that your plan is futile.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

"Hasn't worked-won't work."

Your plan has been tried and the results are in.
                    The Chiefs are two time defending Super Bowl Champions
                    Mahomes-Kelce-Reid-Spagnola-Veach.
                    They are prohibitive favorites to win the next Super Bowl.
                    Mahomes is on pace to have a career that exceeds Tom Brady.

It is not that your plan is not smart--it is smart.
                    The problem is that your plan is futile.
                    How about we do both?

1. Fix the O line, get a solid ground game going, run to set up the pass, eat up the clock, score as much as we can, and keep Mahomes off the field as much as possible.

2. Draft a real run-stuffing DT who also pushes the pocket to disrupt Mahomes. Coach up our Edges and OLB to set the edge and don't let Mahomes gash us around the end. Appoint a spy or two (could rotate to disguise) to keep a close eye on Mahomes in the flats while also defending dump-offs. Put a solid press defender on Kelce. Draft at least one solid press corner and either sign or draft another to prevent getting burned with long bombs. Blitz Mahomes from blind side and occasionally up the middle for further disruption. Be unpredictable. I never said we can totally shut down Mahomes, but I do think we can force a few turnovers and disrupt Mahomes enough to LIMIT the damage.

So, I think we need a two-pronged approach here. To say that the ONLY way to beat Mahomes is through TOP is what in logic is known as a "false dichotamy." I totally agree with you on point #1. But I say, let's do all we can do on D to ALSO limit the Mahomes damage. NEVER GIVE UP!

Question: What do you think we should do on defense?

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

How about we do both?

1. Fix the O line, get a solid ground game going, run to set up the pass, eat up the clock, score as much as we can, and keep Mahomes off the field as much as possible.

2. Draft a real run-stuffing DT who also pushes the pocket to disrupt Mahomes. Coach up our Edges and OLB to set the edge and don't let Mahomes gash us around the end. Appoint a spy or two (could rotate to disguise) to keep a close eye on Mahomes in the flats while also defending dump-offs. Put a solid press defender on Kelce. Draft at least one solid press corner and either sign or draft another to prevent getting burned with long bombs. Blitz Mahomes from blind side and occasionally up the middle for further disruption. Be unpredictable. I never said we can totally shut down Mahomes, but I do think we can force a few turnovers and disrupt Mahomes enough to LIMIT the damage.

So, I think we need a two-pronged approach here. To say that the ONLY way to beat Mahomes is through TOP is what in logic is known as a "false dichotamy." I totally agree with you on point #1. But I say, let's do all we can do on D to ALSO limit the Mahomes damage. NEVER GIVE UP!

Question: What do you think we should do on defense?
                      Pretty much what you said. I think DT stunts and LB blitzes up the middle... the way Minter did it @Michigan.
                      Give Patty as little time as possible to process (DT's and LB's up the middle) and contain with EDGE's (Mack/Bosa).
                      Oh... and somebody guard Kelce for once (Derwin). When MaHommes turns the ball over (Broncos and Raiders) the Chiefs are beatable.

Have the ball last... a nice 6 minute drive. Kneel @the 5-yard line as the clock turns 0:00.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Yeah do everything all at once.
                        AK 47 's got it...we need 16 picks, all blue chippers.

I want DBs who can do things from time to time, especially tackle.
                        One player I like is a Drunk Kollman special.
                        Give me Dadrion.
                        But only after the bulldozers.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                          I read Bob McGinn's reports on the Go Long website. He quotes anonymous scouts' thoughts on the prospects. He had an article on the top 55 offensive prospects in this draft. Jackson Powers Johnson was not one of the 55.

Comment

Working...
                          X