• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Down two scores sounds like a big O problem to me. Hell, sounds like the recent Chargers teams, even with Herbert.
    Chargers have been down and playing catch-up because their defense was horrendous and they had trouble pass protecting, run blocking on offense. Run the ball better (better run blocking) and stay balanced on offense (55/45) and many of those fall-behind early problems go away. The defense is a long ways away from being a defense that will keep you in games. I'd be focussing on defense a lot more than this board is doing right now. Most of the time a Top-10 defense will make you competitive and win a SB for you. Bad weather in late December or early January can be a season ender for an offensive-centric team... just ask the Dolphins.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Nabers, QJ, DD. There’s some real speed that will make the D back up and open up the running game.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Smart post. Keys to fundamentally change our D's success are, in order:
        1. A penetrating disruptive DT that collapses the front of the pocket and, better, can get to a QB
        2. Sticky tough cover corner(s) that can press and disrupt receivers release at the LOS and stay with them tight as ticks for 3+ seconds
        3. A strong fast ILB that can blitz the QB AND cover the TE
        1. DT with the #37 pick. Jenkins or Orhorohor. Disruption up the middle with Joey and Khalil on the edge.
        2. LB with the #23 pick. Cooper. Excellent at both run and pass. Excellent blitzer. 8 sacks.
        3. CB with the #69 pick. Sainsristil. Already knows Minter's coverage schemes. Strong tackler.

The best run-blocking OT @#11 (Fuaga) makes a lot of sense if you want to "run the ball and protect the QB".
        WR and RB make sense in the 4th round. Deep classes of both get you quality depth at both positions.
        TE in the 5th makes sense, too. We picked 2 FA TE's for a reason.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
          I keep reading we’ll be in two WR sets 50% of the time as a reason not to draft WR high. But doesn’t that mean we’ll need three WRs a good chunk of the other 50%, and at critical must-score times? So who ya gonna trot out there with Palmer and QJ? Hope and prayer? Seen both those cats multiple times, they suck. We won’t be drafting top 5 for ten years, grab the elite talent while you can, then draft a late rounder to develop (cuz we got no X receivers right now at all..).

Palmer and QJ are nice complementary guys, but anybody think we can beat the Chiefs with them?
          Why not? They beat us with Valdez-Scantling, 2nd round rookie Rice, UDFA Justin Watson, and Skyy Moore who looks like a bust...and of course , Kelce.
          We need a better defense.

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Chargers have been down and playing catch-up because their defense was horrendous and they had trouble pass protecting, run blocking on offense. Run the ball better (better run blocking) and stay balanced on offense (55/45) and many of those fall-behind early problems go away. The defense is a long ways away from being a defense that will keep you in games. I'd be focussing on defense a lot more than this board is doing right now. Most of the time a Top-10 defense will make you competitive and win a SB for you. Bad weather in late December or early January can be a season ender for an offensive-centric team... just ask the Dolphins.
            Never mind the fact that we went 3 & out nearly every 3rd quarter possession for years. We had to have the dumbest half time adjustments on offense in the NFL. Or the fact that we had no response to blitzes in the final 4th quarter minutes. You want to put us away? Bring the house.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

I think once the workouts, visits, and prodays are all but wrapped up, maybe a week or two before the draft, is when you could see Minn make their move...only caveat is if AZ decides to sit as long as possible, and sweat the suitors into upping their offers 11th hour.

AZ is in the drivers seat...only chance we have to benefit from this deal is if AZ decides they wanna stay top 5 for a big WR, and enlist us in a three way trade...fingers crossed.

Only other scenario where we benefit...AZ wants MHjr, but Jim doesnt blink, AZ stays at 4 to get him, and we get the trade deal all to ourselves...serious poker...gotta be sure AZ wants MHjr, but will lose out if they move back with Giants...

Love the intrigue...
              I think its draft day. The suspense will kill us

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Never mind the fact that we went 3 & out nearly every 3rd quarter possession for years. We had to have the dumbest half time adjustments on offense in the NFL. Or the fact that we had no response to blitzes in the final 4th quarter minutes. You want to put us away? Bring the house.
                Once the opposing team's DC realizes that you are the 6th worst running offense... adjustments are pretty easy.
                Once the opposing team's DC realizes that you are 1-dimensional on offense... coverage and bringing blitzes is elementary.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Only his last year there they were down..and they werent that great from there on. Maybe it was him into his 30's?

And i dont care where Bowers chose. Maybe he dont like snow? I know i dont like snow. It dont snow in LA. He wont have a choice where he gets drafted. Even if i played ina dome like Minnesota i t wouldnt want to go there. Your everday life is in the snow....just going to the store, getting gas, driving on ice roads.....fuck that! I went to Iowa one winter to work at a Google they were building and right around a month i asked them to lay me off lol.

And come on Nutty....lets get it right if you are going to spit out stats. Loveland had 45 receptions last season. I know you want a RT but argue with facts, not dumb them down and hope nobody notices And thats just him from just last season.. I havent looked at any other of his TEs at Michigan.

EDIT...Jake Butt had 51 receptions in 2015 @ Michigan as a JR and in 2016 has 46. I think its just safe t say they havent had great TEs at Michigan while JH was the coach. Schoonmaker isnt doing much in the NFL, and Butt did next to nothing and out of the league. JH never had a TE like Bowers.
                  When I checked, Vernon Davis's stats went progressively downwards those 4 Harbaugh years, save the one year when Crabtree missed much of the season.
                  Now, it could be that V. Davis was on a downward trajectory skills wise.

Also, the idea that Harbaugh wants to spread it around doesn't jive with his 49ers days.
                  Most years, the #1 receiver caught 80 + catches.

Quite frankly, despite what everyone says, Harbaugh most probably doesn't have strong preferences and goes with what he has.
                  If he has a stud at tight end, he'd take advantage of it; if he has a stud receiver, he'd feed him.
                  Michigan never had that guy ..... they kept on going to Ohio State or the SEC, so Harbaugh adjusted around whom he could successfully recruit.

He's not Staley & Co., who were pretty much scheme specific and never adjusts.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Interesting commentary from Jayden Daniels.

“Explosive plays are the name of the game of football. Defenses try to limit explosive plays and explosive players.“

Truth.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

I sure do like Taliese Fuaga, and even Mims who seems risky.

If they draft Fuaga (at #11), he'd better make a pro bowl or two or he's a bust.
                      If they draft Harrison Jr (or Nabers), he'd better be a star.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

When I checked, Vernon Davis's stats went progressively downwards those 4 Harbaugh years, save the one year when Crabtree missed much of the season.
                        Now, it could be that V. Davis was on a downward trajectory skills wise.

Also, the idea that Harbaugh wants to spread it around doesn't jive with his 49ers days.
                        Most years, the #1 receiver caught 80 + catches.

Quite frankly, despite what everyone says, Harbaugh most probably doesn't have strong preferences and goes with what he has.
                        If he has a stud at tight end, he'd take advantage of it; if he has a stud receiver, he'd feed him.
                        Michigan never had that guy ..... they kept on going to Ohio State or the SEC, so Harbaugh adjusted around whom he could successfully recruit.

He's not Staley & Co., who is pretty much scheme specific and never adjusts.
                        It’s true, the players the coaches utilize are the stars. Kelce is a star in KC because Reid builds his passing game around him. KA was a star in LA because the coaches built their passing game around him, Will KA be a star in Chicago? Time will tell, but KA may have made a big mistake if the coaches there don’t utilize him as much as they did here.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                          I sure do like Taliese Fuaga, and even Mims who seems risky.

If they draft Fuaga (at #11), he'd better make a pro bowl or two or he's a bust.
                          If they draft Harrison Jr (or Nabers), he'd better be a star.
                          I don't thinlk Fuaga needs to make Pro Bowls to be considered a bust. I would just like a good solid RT for two contracts, or 8 to 9 years. Just a plug n play guy, solid player

As for MHJr or Nabers - would hope they are stars drafted at 5 - but not sure expectations

Comment

Working...
                          X