• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I like Bowers... but he's a TE. Will he be better than last year's TE's..? IDK... he looks like Kincaid or LaPorta to me. TJ Hockenson looks better to me.
    ol' Brock def has some wheels and he looks like a load to bring down in the secondary for most DBs, and he made a (real) nice one handed grab in that vid, and agree.... not sure he's better than LaPorta.... is he better than Kelce ?? fill in the blank.... is he worth a top five/ten pick ?? don't think so.... didn't like the overdrafting of MW nor QJ, and would not be impressed if our new GM got off on the wrong foot drafting TE/BB top ten.
    5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
      & ramblin' man
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

pretty good mock @this juncture.... lotta good slottings, albeit would prolly put Jayden Daniels to WashDC, ahead of Drake May to the Pats ??

https://www.the33rdteam.com/2024-nfl-mock-draft-latest-first-round-predictions-after-week-16/

5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
        really not seeing it w/Bowers.... see a first round/top shelf version of Luke Musgrave from last year, and of whom is injured (again btw).

also not so certain he's a top 5 or 10 talent, and suspecting he's more a top twenty guy.... personally I liked Kincaid's route running and ability to get open and adjust to the ball better than Bowers ??

will also add, that really don't care for the argument that Bowers is the best TE in this draft, and by a mile.... who cares.... just coz the other TEs are not as great as him, no reason to panic/reach.
        Wait, a post you made a little bit back you named the top 4 talents are and Brock was one of them lol. Now he's top 20? Just one the kind of confusing posts you make.
        And as I've said before, loved Kincaid...I wouldn't picked Bowers over him if in the same draft.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

That was then and this is now! We'll have a new GM & HC and probably need another WR if MW is not here! Baltimore spending a first round on Zay Flowers last April helped their QB!
          We need a lot of positions. Some are of more importance than others. I don't see wide receiver as one we have to address in the first round. If we have a general manager and head coach who know what they're doing, they'll likely find a good-to-great wide receiver after the first round--as the 49ers (Deebo Samual in Round 2), Seahawks (D.K. Metcalf in Round 2), Lions (Amon-Ra St. Brown in Round 4), and plenty of other good teams have done multiple times over the years.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

because TEs taken in the first that are impact players are as rare as hens teeth. Not saying he won't add value but really a wasted pick inside the top 10. If you thought the QJ pick was an over draft then Bowers pick at say #6 will make QJ look like a bargain. Some are saying Kool aid might be Slow Aid...if true this dude will drop 10 to 20 spots if he has a slow 40 time. He will no longer be Koolaid but Burnt toast in the NFL. Latu needs to pass his physical so there's that...I like Verse a lot but every player needs his due diligence. Dallas Turner is a young pup and is still growing so trajectories are tough there. Yes, this is a deep draft for WRs but then again we passed on RBs last draft and I moaned about this so who the hell knows what we do this year. I'd add Tez Walker to the mix and take him in the 3rd if he's still there. I like a lot of your receiver picks. Nabers and Odunze are the insane deep speed threats so that's why I lean towards those two. If Harrison is there for some strange reason at #5-6 run to the podium we can even let Johnny take credit for that choice...LOL!
            We can also have a list of WRs who weren't good as first rounders. We can do that for every possition.

Harrison won't be there. He hasn't even declared yet that I've seen. Loves that NIL money instead of the NFL.

QJ wasnt as much over drafted as I liked some WRs better. Id have went with Flowers and said as much.

Like I said let's see who we get for GM,HC and who leaves and stays. That will factor in some things for me, but like I said, I don't think Keenan is leaving so WR won't be a big need.

TE still will be. Good thing is Telesco isnt drafting and passing on the RBs i liked the last 3 years.

Those receivers in listed for later are good comps imo. Worthy is a little light in the shorts but he is fast, good hands.
            Rice is big and fast. Franklin is fast....lots to choose from.

One RB I like in this draft tore his ACL late in the season (Jonathon Brooks) Maybe we can get him in the 3rd round now, though I also really like Trey Benson. Fast with good vision. Both are fast but Benson a little bigger.

If we can get extra picks for MW and Joey it opens things up a little more. We need more picks.

Sucks we have to wait so long to find these things out.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by NOrvMeNow View Post

Flush last year down the toilet.
              Nothing wrong with two future top targets, if QJ pans out and you hit on your 1rst.

If QJ doesn't pan out, all the more reason to draft one.

Get a stud in the 1rst, and don't worry about the position.

Get the tough, physical, mentally strong (& some what sick) guys after that.
              Wide receiver is way down the list of priorities to me. I value the lines of scrimmage much more. Once Marvin Harrison, Jr. is gone, probably by the third pick, I have zero interest in drafting a wide receiver in the first round.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

re: Latu.... not sure he doesn't last a little longer than some are forecasting, as he is 23, and don't know 'bout tomato cans, but he is a coupla few years older than most of the guys he's been beating up on across the line, and so his floor might be pretty good/high, but no so sure he has so much of a ceiling, and.... he may be somewhat similar to Tuli in that regard, and of whom himself might not look so good without the likes of a Bosa and/or Mack lining up alongside him.... ??

for my taste, don't like the looks of our Dline post Khalil, and not only plenty like Latu, but would really like the NT round two as well.
                I'll be very pleased if we go pass-rusher and defensive tackle with our first two picks. It's time to build a defense that will kick the shit out of the opposition.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

First off... I couldn't give a rats-ass what some of the "experts" think. They get evals wrong all the time.

I simply watch guys play. I look for certain things they do that are important to their respective positions.

I happen to value certain positions over others. Certain positions contribute on every single play. They even make their overall position groups better/worse. I think OT and CB fit those descriptions. Look at how Pipkins poor play (or Vato's poor play) effect the whole OL (both pass and run) or what our secondary looked when JCJ and Vato couldn't perform. Both units were train wrecks. Does a TE do that to the whole receiving corps? Not in my opinion... not to that degree.

Let's say we're talking about the whole receiver corps. Simply compare draft options Bowers vs Odunze (the last 2 years):
                  Odunze: 156 receptions, 2573 yards, 20 TD's
                  Bowers: 119 receptions, 1656 yards, 13 TD's

I like Bowers... but he's a TE. Will he be better than last year's TE's..? IDK... he looks like Kincaid or LaPorta to me. TJ Hockenson looks better to me.

Had we picked Joey Porter Jr. last year (or Trent McDuffie the year before)... I wouldn't be looking at McKinstry. But we didn't... so I am.
                  If we had enough money to keep Mack/Bosa... I wouldn't be looking at Latu. But we don't... so I am.
                  If Pipkins were better [insert I told you so here]... I wouldn't be looking at Fashanu. But he sucks... so I am.

BTW... OT's get paid to pass block. They protect $262 million QB's... that's their value. If you want them to run-block... get a better OL coach.
                  Those stats are nice for both Odunze and Bowers but when related to our team, Odunze isn't even guaranteed to start. Bowers will.

That's how you should look at it. MW may not be here but Palmer will and QJ should improve.

If Keenan is here Odunze could be 2nd or maybe the 4th fiddle to start. That's why I'm not big on a WR in round 1 till we know who will be here.
                  I knowamy here don't think that highly of Palmer for some reason but he can play. He is worthy of WR #2. Can Odunze beat him out? Hmmm..get a WR later I think.

I know Everett and maybe Parham won't be and if Parham is, who cares he is below average. Id let him walk knowing if we need to, we could get him for 1.3 mil.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

It cannot get any better than this.
                    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

I see a lot of blanket statements being made.
                      Don't forget it is early.
                      We will be thrown into the cement mixer. What must come out is a solid foundation.

Way too much is unknown.

Regarding OLT and value, I still like Joe Alt a lot. This is a clean, can't miss prospect. What is missed is that Alt is a ++ run blocker. Detroit does not regret in the slightest drafting Penei Sewell, with Taylor Decker already there, and having many other PON's at the time.

Regarding Bowers and TE, there is lots of talk about LaPorta. Well, before drafting LaPorta, Detroit deftly traded away #8 overall pick Hockenson. He is expensive now and he is hurt. I vote for a mid round Inline TE, maybe Sinnott

We need a LB and the only ones worth a shit require a round 2 investment.

The UFA market will be a big buyers market. There are no Jamyr's, Mostert's or Achane's here. Wait 'til late to draft a running back.

Knowing the landscape leads to smart personnel takes. We all fall in love with particular great looking impact players. I even see pundits saying today we have to draft a CB with our early pick. No we don't.
                      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2022
                        • White Rock, BC Canada
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

I'll be very pleased if we go pass-rusher and defensive tackle with our first two picks. It's time to build a defense that will kick the shit out of the opposition.
                        You can really make the case wither way as this team has a few needs.

You are not wrong, but nor are those who want better support around the best asset in the franchise, the QB . Herbert is not progressing as he should be with his talent. He needs better more dynamic weapons and he needs better protection as he has been taking a beating and now has 3 injuries in the last 2 seasons.

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Those stats are nice for both Odunze and Bowers but when related to our team, Odunze isn't even guaranteed to start. Bowers will.

That's how you should look at it. MW may not be here but Palmer will and QJ should improve.

If Keenan is here Odunze could be 2nd or maybe the 4th fiddle to start. That's why I'm not big on a WR in round 1 till we know who will be here.
                          I knowamy here don't think that highly of Palmer for some reason but he can play. He is worthy of WR #2. Can Odunze beat him out? Hmmm..get a WR later I think.

I know Everett and maybe Parham won't be and if Parham is, who cares he is below average. Id let him walk knowing if we need to, we could get him for 1.3 mil.
                          I put Odunze's name out there as a player I believe is better and more productive as a player... not as a guy I want @5-10 for us.
                          In the end, I believe TE should be drafted later as I don't believe Bowers is a top-10 talent. Same goes for WR... later.
                          As you say, KA (or MW) will be #1 and Joshua Palmer (who I like) is the #2. QJ was a project... let him develop.
                          I see bigger needs @CB, DE (as Mack probably leaves), and RB.
                          IDL is in the mix, LB is in the mix, even safety could use help.
                          As we all know, the center position has to be addressed.
                          Lots of better ways to go besides a TE @#5-10.

Comment

Working...
                          X