• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Critty
    Dominate the Day.
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Johnny Wilson WR Florida State. 6'6 237 ran 4.52.
    Fits what Chargers are doing. Bigger stronger faster, can block. Versatile to play WR/TE. Length of an OT.
    Get him with Ben Herbert to add 10lbs.
    Seem like he would be on the board Rd5-7. Adds depth to both WR and TE group with a single pick. Rated as one of the better blocking WR in the draft. Fundamental football. Block it better, so you can run it better, and pass it better. All start up front with better blocking from everyone on offense OL, TE, WR, Hback, FB.

​​​​
    Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Critty
      Dominate the Day.
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Other than QB and Kicker - is there really a position on the team that cannot use help long term. Hortiz has to walk a fine line of BPA and Needs but I think this draft, tipping the scales to BPA for sure. If that means you might get two players at one position and not "fill a slot" for LB - so be it. Team needs so much talent
      I believe Hortiz when he said he goes BPA because you are never one player away. Although if the BPA on his board was a QB in Rd1-3 he would skip that position and take the next BPA. Other than that. I expect he takes the BPA. or the PON in a small BPA cluster. Which essentially is the BPA at that spot.

BPA all day.
      Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperChargedRodney37 View Post

My stance is you need Elite talent at "Premium Positions" if you can get it in today's NFL. (**Premium in terms of Positional Value/cost**)
        Those positions are QB, WR1, CB1, LT, Edge Rush, (Maybe throw Safety in there).
        TE is not a premium position.
        If you can get an Elite Blue-Chip Player at one of the listed positions above, you do it. If you can get them where the production on the field supersedes the positional value, you absolutely do it without fail.
        And that's fine... that fits most people's philosophies. But that isn't necessarily Joe Ortiz's stance... or Jim Harbaugh's. If you're looking specifically at offensive players (and it seems you are)... then your stance may not be Greg Roman's stance.

I suggest you go back and look at the Ravens roster under Greg Roman. I suggest you go look at the 49ers roster under Harbaugh/Roman. I think you'll find fewer "elite" WR's than you envision. I think you'll find that both OT positions were fortified pretty well with solid OT's.

@SF, they had Joe Staley and Anthony Davis (both 1st rounders). @Baltimore, they had Ronnie Staley (#6 pick) and Orlando Brown Jr. Now, OBJ wasn't a 1st round pick... but he should have been. IIRC, he ended up @LT and had a Pro Bowl year in 2020 (as Ronnie Stanley was out with injury). IIRC, Ravens got a 1st round pick out of the Chiefs (who had their own OT problems in SB LV) via trade.

The most "Elite WR Talent" they had @SF and Baltimore was Anquan Boldin... and his best years were with Arizona. Both stops were as a free agent (3 year deals, then gone). They rarely re-sign the WR's they draft... and I don't think any of them were as good as Keenan Allen (a guy they just traded because he wouldn't take a paycut).

I suspect you'll need to change your stance.

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Other than QB and Kicker - is there really a position on the team that cannot use help long term. Hortiz has to walk a fine line of BPA and Needs but I think this draft, tipping the scales to BPA for sure. If that means you might get two players at one position and not "fill a slot" for LB - so be it. Team needs so much talent
          And JH2 have really played this beautifully. Reasonable to assume first four picks go QBx3 and MHJ. Bring in Nabers for an interview, see if he’s as NFL ready as they need him to be? Check. Put all the QB needy teams on blast, need a historic haul to trade down? Check. Ready to pick at 5 if that trade doesn’t materialize? Check. Either way, win-win.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

You said Minnesota was balking about giving up their 2025 first along with 11 and 23...which i havent heard.
            If they know that's the price why would they balk at it? It don't matter if it's for a QB or MHJ. QBs always get over drafted and to teams, are more valuable.

We don't know what Hortiz will do. This is his actual first time doing the drafting. I can see him taking a WR and wouldn't be surprised if he traded down if AZ takes MHJ..
            ​​
            ​​​​​​
            Apparently (according to some Youtuber who went to owner's meetings last week) the Vikings offered the #11 and #23 picks straight up for #4. The Cardinals said it was going to take more than that (high pick next year as well). The Vikings said, yeah... no, the #11 and #23 should be enough.

If Vikings are saying that, then I would assume some conversations with the Chargers have already occurred... and that is their negotiated price.

The question is... is that enough for Joe Hortiz...? I would assume that those conversations occurred before the Vikings traded for #23 in the first place... but who knows.

Personally, I would take the deal. You get what you wanted anyways. @#11, you are looking @Fuaga and Bowers. @#23, you are looking @LB, CB, WR, or Edge rusher. IMO, that's much better than staying @#5 and getting the 2nd best WR (or the #1 OT).

Like someone's signature states, "Less isn't more... More is more"

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

If 4 QB's are taken in the 1st 4 picks... that leaves MHJ there (who is widely considered the best non-QB in the draft) Many think MHJ is THE best player in the draft. And if he were there, then the Chargers would take him... and so would I (as I've mentioned many times now).

Which is EXACTLY why the Cardinals will take him @#4... and he won't be there @#5.
              If you don't like OUR wide receivers... you should see THEIRS.
              And unlike our HC... they plan on throwing it 40 times a game.

In any case... this little quote proves nothing in regards to how much teams will pay to trade up for a QB in the draft.

And that "measley package of #11 and #23" may get you the best run-blocking RT in college... and the best LB in college.
              Not bad for any team that plans on running the ball and/or playing championship type defense....
              Hey! That sounds a lot like us!

Did you guys scream... and stomp... and pray for Harbaugh, not knowing how he builds teams!?
              He brought his coaches with him. Minter and Roman are known quantities. I'm actually using these guys as my drafting model.
              Root and cheer for your favorite shiny toy all you like. But in the end, realize whose doing the player evaluations and drafting.

Salyer will be playing wherever they tell him to play... probably guard. He was recruited by Georgia to play guard. He was drafted by the Chargers to play guard. He has 2 more years on his contract... same as LT Slater. If you're worried about Slater breaking the bank... stay at #5 and draft Alt. At least he makes sense in a Hortiz/Harbaugh/Roman world.

Worry about Mack/Bosa next draft. If you're really anxious about edge... draft Harbaugh/Minter's edge players in the later rounds... they're both draft eligible. If you're really anxious about WR, both of Harbaugh's WR's are eligible, too. Take Roman Wilson in the 3rd round or Cornelius Johnson in the 6th round.
              Keep on sending Pro Bowlers at key positions packing and bring in the unproven rook?

Another problem with drafting beanpole at #5 is that if things work out, he'll be very expensive in 5 years.
              Unlike Telesco, most GMs don't want to lock up all the money at one position.

So, you will be almost forced to send Slater packing, perhaps prematurely - for the late 3rd rounder (hip hip hooray!!)

And then beanpole gets back problems, regresses, never develops beyond that first year ......
              Last edited by powderblueboy; 04-06-2024, 08:16 AM.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

I'm not certain why some here demand that Arizona will never trade out,
                and yet the Chargers will, at the drop of a hat .... even with Harrison Jr. there.

It makes zero sense.
                If I'm Arizona's new GM, with the shit load of holes on my pathetic team, I'd take all the top picks (now & in the future) that I can get.

Sell the rebuilding angle .... that's what a cagey GM would do.

Sit and draft Harrison Jr. - well, that's what Telesco would do.

Arizona's GM is sending out vibes that he's a wheeler and dealer ......

Personally, I'd be happy with either Harrison Jr. 'falling', or squeezing the life blood out of another GMs draft capital. .
                Having McCarthy fall to #5 would only enhance the bargaining power of Hortiz.
                Last edited by powderblueboy; 04-06-2024, 08:30 AM.

Comment

• Jack Burton
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2023
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Would love to have him on this team. If we get him at #23 after a trade with Minnesota I will be ecstatic.

Bosa, Mack, and Latu on the line in pass-rushing packages against Mahomes. How can you not get fired up about that?
                  And Tuli….

Comment

• Jack Burton
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2023
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                    I'm not certain why some here demand that Arizona will never trade out,
                    and yet the Chargers will, at the drop of a hat .... even with Harrison Jr. there.

It makes zero sense.
                    If I'm Arizona's new GM, with the shit load of holes on my pathetic team, I'd take all the top picks (now & in the future) that I can get.

Sell the rebuilding angle .... that's what a cagey GM would do.

Sit and draft Harrison Jr. - well, that's what Telesco would do.

Arizona's GM is sending out vibes that he's a wheeler and dealer ......

Personally, I'd be happy with either Harrison Jr. 'falling', or squeezing the life blood out of another GMs draft capital. .
                    Having McCarthy fall to #5 would only enhance the bargaining power of Horvitz.
                    Monte doesn’t need to sell the idea. Look at last years draft. He was all over the 1st round. He moved up and down multiple times.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Apparently (according to some Youtuber who went to owner's meetings last week) the Vikings offered the #11 and #23 picks straight up for #4. The Cardinals said it was going to take more than that (high pick next year as well). The Vikings said, yeah... no, the #11 and #23 should be enough.

If Vikings are saying that, then I would assume some conversations with the Chargers have already occurred... and that is their negotiated price.

The question is... is that enough for Joe Hortiz...? I would assume that those conversations occurred before the Vikings traded for #23 in the first place... but who knows.

Personally, I would take the deal. You get what you wanted anyways. @#11, you are looking @Fuaga and Bowers. @#23, you are looking @LB, CB, WR, or Edge rusher. IMO, that's much better than staying @#5 and getting the 2nd best WR (or the #1 OT).

Like someone's signature states, "Less isn't more... More is more"
                      Some slob (your Youtuber ) hangs out at the owner's meeting (they let him in ?), and suddenly he gets inside information as to some very secretive talks between GMs?

Let's speculate that there are negotiations currently being conducted: Arizona will be asking for the Moon, and the Vikings won't be budging at this moment .... I don't need to be a fly on the wall to know that.

Typically, someone caves within the 7 days leading up to the draft; their current alleged impasse is meaningless.

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

Monte doesn’t need to sell the idea. Look at last years draft. He was all over the 1st round. He moved up and down multiple times.
                        Yeah, hard to imagine ARZ won’t ​​​​​ engineer a trade at 4, MHJ notwithstanding.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Its almost reached a point where i'd be frightened if the Chargers select Nabers at #5.

The ear piercing screams would shatter ear drums around here.

On the other hand, if they select old Beanpole ...... run for the hills .

Actually, I'd be fine because Harbaugh/Hortiz know what they want and evaluated him until they were blue in the face;
                          and they are not Tommy John .

Very little talk about Graham Barton at #23. He's flexible enough to cover Oline holes until moved to center.

Is he a center? That would give the Chargers tons of options at other picks.

Comment

Working...
                          X